On the 4th day of xmas

Remove this Banner Ad

Without doubt, the best contested mark I've ever seen. Hands like buckets, but he could run and jump as well. Spent his junior years at the Bay as a change Ruck with Peter Carey.

We spent years chasing him, then he did a 10 goal job on an ageing Bruce Doull at Footy Park in 1984, but still stayed in SA to win a flag for Glenelg.

After his first senior season at Carlton was made captain, next year won the goalkicking, B&F, and Captained a Premiership side.

Owned the 50, we got big Earl as a front, then he played mostly from 30 yards out of the square.

Time and again, he won games for us, for a decade.

Last edited:
Without doubt Sticks is the best number 4 to ever pull on the Navy Blue!

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2014-06-19/cfc-150-2-stephen-kernahan

Agreed, though I'm hopeful that Gibbs will end up giving Sticks a run for his money.

But I remember with great fondness that glorious, all too brief era when The Buzz wore the number 4. He had plenty to do with the fact that we won back to back flags at that time. Ironically his grand final performances were average. He had done so much to get us there though.
I thoroughly enjoyed that highlights package on post 11 (cheers, FF78). It wasn't just the goals and the marks, he was a player who always made things happen when he was near the ball through his manic hunger and desperation. It was just sad he didn't stick around for longer.

Agreed, though I'm hopeful that Gibbs will end up giving Sticks a run for his money.

But I remember with great fondness that glorious, all too brief era when The Buzz wore the number 4. He had plenty to do with the fact that we won back to back flags at that time. Ironically his grand final performances were average. He had done so much to get us there though.
I thoroughly enjoyed that highlights package on post 11 (cheers, FF78). It wasn't just the goals and the marks, he was a player who always made things happen when he was near the ball through his manic hunger and desperation. It was just sad he didn't stick around for longer.

The most frustrating part of his last season was he got suspended 4 weeks just when we were making a later surge towards a third flag in a row. We were a bit off the rails for much of 1983 but I remember we were starting to hit our straps just in time to make finals. We had just played some sensational football against Hawks to topple them, then top of ladder North in round 21 and he gets suspended for 4 weeks in that very game. I still believed our best in 83 was best in the league. It was exciting to think maybe we could be first club to win from elimination final. But it was not to be. Injuries and suspensions just killed the run just when it started to look really exciting. That was Buzz last game for us. I think Wayne Johnston got injured and all of a sudden I knew we were stuffed. You need all the pieces to fall into place to win it from there. In any case Buzz was an excitement machine , great team player and great character. Some players can play 10 to 15 years at a club and not come close to having an impact Buzz could have in three.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back