Boxing On This Day in Boxing...

Remove this Banner Ad

25th June 1948 -
Joe Louis vs Jersey Joe Walcott II

• Walcott floored Louis in the 3rd round.
  • Louis put Walcott down for the count in the 11th round.
  • A crowd of 42,667 at Yankee Stadium produced a gate of $841,739.
  • Louis' purse was $250,000, and Walcott's was $125,000.
  • Louis retired after the fight. But he would be back.

26th June 1972 -
Roberto Duran vs Ken Buchanan

• Buchanan was a 2-1 favorite.
  • Buchanan earned $125,000 (a then-record purse for a lightweight) and Duran received 15% of the gate.
  • Duran scored a flash knockdown early in the first round.
  • Duran delivered head butts and low blows throughout. But only received a single warning for a low blow in the 13th round.
  • Both fought after the bell to end round 13. Duran catching Buchanan with a low blow. Buchanan collapsed and had to be helped to his corner.
  • Buchanan said "The referee said I couldn't come out. I told him I could continue, but he said, 'You're not coming out.'"
  • Duran dismissed Buchanan's claim of a low blow, saying, "A lot of boxers try to make you think they were hit low because they are losing."

Last edited:
27th June 1988 -
Mike Tyson knocks out Michael Spinks

SI6901.jpg

• A fight between 2 undefeated fighters, each with a legitimate claim to the heavyweight championship. The winner would have sole possession of it.
  • Spinks had became the 1st reigning light heavyweight champion to win a heavyweight championship.
  • Tyson entered the fight as the holder of all three major sanctioning body titles.
  • Spinks entered the fight regarded as the lineal World Heavyweight Champion, having beaten Larry Holmes for the title and had not lost it in the ring.
  • Spinks entered the ring as a 4-1 underdog.
  • One month after the fight, Spinks announced his retirement.
  • Tyson earned $22 million, the biggest purse ever paid to a boxer at that time, and Spinks received $13.5 million.
  • A sellout crowd of 21,785 at Convention Hall in Atlantic City produced a gate of $12.3 million.

The only person who defeated Tyson was Tyson. I know Busta did but I would argue Tyson had lost that fight before a punch was even thrown.

The only person who defeated Tyson was Tyson. I know Busta did but I would argue Tyson had lost that fight before a punch was even thrown.

Many Tyson opponents were beaten before the first bell too. I'd like to see a compilation video of Tyson's various opponents whilst they received their final instructions from the referee in the ring. I wouldn't question their courage, but there was fear in some of those eyes.

Last edited:
28th June 1997 -
Mike Tyson takes a liking to Evander Holyfield's ears

• Holyfield vs. Tyson II was named the Event of the Year by The Ring Magazine for 1997.
  • Tyson was rocked in the 1st round by a big Holyfield right hand.
  • In the 2nd round their heads came together and opened a cut over Tyson's eye. Referee Mills Lane called time and informed ringside officials that the cut was the result of a headbutt.
  • In the final minute of the 3rd round, while the two were tied up, Tyson bit a chunk out of Holyfield's right ear. Lane stopped the action and deducted 2 points from Tyson, who told Lane that the damage was caused by a punch. "Bullshit!" Lane replied.
  • When the action resumed, Tyson bit Holyfield's left ear. At the end of the round, when Lane saw the bite mark on Holyfield's left ear, he disqualified Tyson.
  • In a post-fight interview, Tyson claimed that the headbutts by Holyfield were intentional and the bites were his retaliation.
  • Teddy Atlas, Tyson's former trainer, predicted to a group of reporters the night before the fight that Tyson "will try to get lucky, naturally" but if he can't land a knockout punch early, "he's going to try to disqualify himself, either by elbowing, or throwing a low blow, butting or biting."
  • Holyfield required eight stitches in his right ear. After the fight, an MGM Grand employee located part of Holyfield's ear in the ring, scooped it up with Latex gloves, and took it to Holyfield's locker-room door. "I have something he probably wants," he told the security guard. Holyfield's camp placed it in an ice bucket and hoped surgeons could reattach it, but it apparently was lost during the ambulance ride. "The plastic surgeon and I were digging through the ice pack and couldn't find it," said Tim Hallmark, Holyfield's conditioning coach.
  • The Nevada State Athletic Commission fined Tyson $3 million dollars. By law, they could not fine him more than 10% of his purse.
  • Tyson made $30 million, while Holyfield got $35 million. The commission also suspended Tyson.
  • Holyfield vs. Tyson II was, at the time, the highest grossing boxing match in history in all categories.

29th June 1933 -
Charnera vs Sharkey II - the fix was in

• On February 10th 1933 Primo Carnera knocked out Ernie Schaaf in 13 rounds in New York City. Tragically, Schaaf died 4 days later.
  • In his next fight, Carnera faced the world heavyweight champion Jack Sharkey, at the Madison Square Garden Bowl.
  • Carnera became world champion by knocking out Sharkey in round 6.
  • The fight came under the eye of fans and sportswriters when the uppercut that KO'd Sharkey was thought not to have landed.
  • Rumours of a mob fix were brought up causing some to think Sharkey threw the fight.
  • Sharkey himself would later confess to having taken a dive.

Last edited:
Im guessing there is no other angle ?

How do you take a dive from a punch that doesnt even hit....

The argument has raged for nearly 100 as to whether Sharkey took a dive or not, and all sorts of theories have been raised. It probably rates alongside Ali vs Liston as the most controversial KO in boxing history.

The Sharkey KO looks a bit suspect because the uppercut that caused the KO looked rather innocuous compared to many other punches Carnera landed, and 2 years earlier Sharkey took the best Carnera had for 15 rounds and beat him on points.

I guess all we can do is watch the video and form our own opinions.

30th June 1975 -
Muhammad Ali vs Joe Bugner II

300px-Ali-BugnerII.jpg

· In the first meeting between the pair Ali won on points over 12 rounds.

· In this the rematch, Ali's purse was $2m and Bugner's $500,000.

· Ali was a 3 to 1 favorite.

· Estimated crowd 22,000.

Last edited:
2nd July 2011 -
Wlad Klitschko vs David Haye

• Klitschko 55-3 (49 KOs) vs. Haye 25-1 (23 KOs)
  • Haye had signed to fight Klitschko in June 2009, but pulled out shortly before the fight.
  • Later in 2009, Haye negotiated a deal with Wlad's brother, Vitali, but did not sign the contract and instead secretly negotiated to fight Valuev.
  • Haye eventually outpointed Valuev to claim the WBA Heavyweight Title.
  • In preparation for the Wlad bout, Haye primarily sparred 6'8 and then-unbeaten David Price.
  • Klitschko and Haye agreed to a 50-50 split of the purse and Haye was allotted 7000 seats at the venue.

3rd July 1931 -
Max Schmeling KOs Young Stribling

Max Schmeling defends his world title against Young Stribling.
Sribling came into the fight having knocked more fighters than anyone else in history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4th July 1919 -
Jack Dempsey KOs Jess Willard

Boxing's ultimate David vs Goliath.
The smaller Dempsey punishes the 6th 7 champion mercilessly.
Willard is down 7 times in round 1 alone.

5th July 1975 -
Alfredo Escalera KOs Kuniaki Shibata

Shibata, a former WBA champion, was defending his WBC world super featherweight title.

5th July 2012 -
Shane Cameron KOs Monte Barrett

• The biggest win of Shane Cameron's career over the heavily favoured Monte Barrett.
  • Cameron knocked Barrett out with a peach of a right hand. Barrett's knees buckled as he went down and then out.
  • Cameron regained the WBO Oriental and WBO Asia Pacific titles with the fourth round knockout

Last edited:
6th July 1984 -
Henry Tillman beats Mike Tyson and costs him a position on Olympic team

11th July 1985 -
Mike Tyson KOs John Alderson

and then exactly one year later

11th July 1986 -
Mike Tyson KOs Lorenzo Boyd

12th July 1986 -
Evander Holyfield beats Dwight Muhammad Qawi

In only his 12th professional fight, Holyfield met WBA cruiserweight champion Dwight Muhammad Qawi in Atlanta, Georgia. Holyfield was undefeated. Qawi was 26-2-1, his last loss coming more than three years earlier to Michael Spinks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back