Podcast One Club, Two Thrashings! feat. Mr Port Adelaide - BF Port PC Ep. 2.14

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca19 & FishingRick04 are joined by a man that lives and breathes the PAFC - former 300-game, 7-time Premiership winning PAFC Hall of Famer Tim Ginever, to discuss all things Port Adelaide Football Club. We get Tim's insight into the two beltings against Brisbane and Glenelg and discuss what it means to be part of the inclusive Port Adelaide family.

Direct Link

Subscribe to us on iTunes

The BF Port Podcast is sponsored by Nieuvision

Previous Episodes

TIM GINEVER!!!!!!!?????

OMG

Great work on getting Timmy! Club Legend!
Many interesting points to take from the podcast...

I really liked Timmy's opinion on the recruiting of players to PAFC. Essentially, recruit a gun junior who aspires to play at PAFC.

1st goal - Get a game for the Magpies at league level.
2nd goal - Get drafted by Port Adelaide.
Now, if you're to get drafted by another club and you're good enough and you want to return home, we'll get you home!
WOW!

Edit: Sorry but couldn't help but to add more...
Fair dinkum, i'll say it a again. what a BLOODY legend Timmy Chin is!

I had to listen to the last 10 mins of the podcast a couple of times; And i'd imagine i'll listen to it another several times yet. If you have any doubts on what PAFC is about, Ginever sums it up brilliant in that short time frame.

Last edited:
1) Rick, you quoted me with something someone else said. I agree with it, but it wasn't me.

2) That thing PA1870 liked, I didn't like. I don't think it is good for some players to be consider `more Port Adelaide' than others by virtue of their geography of origin.

3) Rick was hilarious with his questions.

"Hi Tim I have a question, do you like football, why did you play football, who's your favourite footballer, do you like fritz, my mum says if i eat my crusts i'll kick straight is that true, also i have a dog, and do you think pittard is the best player because I do!"

Channeling pure 8 year old.

1) Rick, you quoted me with something someone else said. I agree with it, but it wasn't me.

2) That thing PA1870 liked, I didn't like. I don't think it is good for some players to be consider `more Port Adelaide' than others by virtue of their geography of origin.

Correct me if i'm wrong, I don't think Timmy ever mentions someone being 'more Port Adelaide' than others. In fact, he strongly emphasises the importance of people coming into our club. E.g. Russell Johnston. He mentions coming here for a year but stays for life.
He sees the need for both. I thought the way he talked about Nathan Buckley further highlights this.

Incredibly thankful for Tim in giving up a couple hours of his time to talk to us on a Monday night and hopefully give our listeners some real insight into the club. Was an absolute honour in talking PAFC with one of the guys that made it the great club it is.

Correct me if i'm wrong, I don't think Timmy ever mentions someone being 'more Port Adelaide' than others.
After the Ben Haren bit he said we need to get Port Adelaide people from Port Adelaide areas, get them to AFL standard and bring them back, like Brett Ebert.

WWT is not exactly a `Port Adelaide area' (not like Eyre peninsula), but it worked with Polec even though he never played for the Magpies before.

`Port Adelaide areas' should be `anywhere football is played'.

I agree that a 'Port Adelaide person' can and does mean anyone. Take Mitch Harvey (North Adelaide/St Peters) and Jared Polec (WWT/Seaton) as examples. Mitch Banner and Barry Brooks as extreme examples.

Anyway, superb podcast and well done for keeping Timmy on track :D

Last edited:
Pretty bloody pumped for Macca, who has been here from the beginning (and he'll be here to the end copyright John Schumann @ Redgum Records), for reaping the rewards of his passion, loyalty and SuperCarey longevity on & off these boards what with these podcasts and the PAFC website write-ups.

Couldn't be happening for a more deserving bloke. <3 xoxo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the Ben Haren bit he said we need to get Port Adelaide people from Port Adelaide areas, get them to AFL standard and bring them back, like Brett Ebert.

WWT is not exactly a `Port Adelaide area' (not like Eyre peninsula), but it worked with Polec even though he never played for the Magpies before.

`Port Adelaide areas' should be `anywhere football is played'.

I agree with you Portia: Port Adelaide areas should be anywhere football is played. Russell Johnston, Richard Foster, Roger Delaney will no doubt agree with you also. In fact, the club is no longer restricted to just 'Port Adelaide areas'. I think Tim likes this idea but still sees the need to watch over the immediate Port Adelaide community.

Even if it were Barcelona, they'd be ridiculous not to recruit a homegrown talent with potential for the big time.
The locals would love it!!! But you wouldn't recruit them based on geographical location alone but you must admit, it would be of huge benefit to the club's culture and its supporters. Perhaps Steven Gerrard is a good example of this at Liverpool.

He still didn't mention someone being 'more Port Adelaide' than another. As i said before, he sees the need for both.

I'm pretty sure you'd find many current Power players would've loved Sammy Gray's story from the weekend. I would be inspired to play for a club which looks after its players in such a way. Just as much, i'd be inspired to go to a club who recruits a Daniel Flynn who potentially turns into an AFL regular. I'd like to think PAFC has the ability to create inspirational stories from all backgrounds. Recruiting 'home-grown' talent is just one of them.

As for the Polec situation, he would've always considered himself a 'port boy', although he never played for us as a junior. You then need to ask what made him a port supporting kid? It may have been influenced by the thoughts, views and opinions of club greats such as Timmy Chin.

I agree that a 'Port Adelaide person' can and does mean anyone. Take Mitch Harvey (North Adelaide/St Peters) and Jared Polec (WWT/Seaton) as examples. Mitch Banner and Barry Brooks as extreme examples.

Anyway, superb podcast and well done for keeping Timmy on track :D
Tim would agree

The best bloody podcast ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I've only been listening this year but I can't imagine one being better than One Club, Two Trashings)
A big thank you obviously to the Legend, Tim Ginever but also to Craig and Rick for the fantastic job they do. The Big Footy Port Adelaide Podcast is my favourite football-related audio pleasure.

How many Tango Awards could Leon Milde have snared if they were awarded back then?
On a One Club, Two Trashings podcast there was not even a chair squeak to be heard.

Mate, there wasn't really anything to disagree with so the chair and Tango were mothballed.

She came out for her award however :) I'll have to get a trophy made for Jarod that can be passed on to the next victim :)

Pretty bloody pumped for Macca, who has been here from the beginning (and he'll be here to the end copyright John Schumann @ Redgum Records), for reaping the rewards of his passion, loyalty and SuperCarey longevity on & off these boards what with these podcasts and the PAFC website write-ups.

Couldn't be happening for a more deserving bloke. <3 xoxo

Aww cheers buddy! Beers on me next time :thumbsu:

Mate, there wasn't really anything to disagree with so the chair and Tango were mothballed.

She came out for her award however :) I'll have to get a trophy made for Jarod that can be passed on to the next victim :)
Completely understand - I should have written: A One Club, Two Trashings Podcast makes the need for chair squeaking redundant.

You're not going to bronze Tango are you?

Three more random thoughts.

I loved Ginever talking about his rationale vis-a-vis the history/identity wars - 'We weren't being told we had to win the premiership every year so we could get into the AFL only for there to be one Port Adelaide over here and one Port Adelaide there'. Hear to the mofo hear.

Rick expressing his gratitude on our behalf for all the work Ginever and Fiacchi put in during those dark days to eventually bring the Port Adelaide family back together. Ridiculously well said.

And ah, Steven Trigg doing what he genuinely did best right at the end, bizarrely!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back