Teams One step forward, two steps back

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just been reading The Bubble over the last day or so. What I'm reading about discipline, unity, consequences, etc from there, means there is absolutely no possible way at all that G will be going into the forward line this year, as had been planned. No way at all. He'll be lucky if he gets a game in the Sandy 1s.

I'm not interested in this becoming a "he said, she said" thread - for that, go to the main board.

Simply put, what I want to know since G won't be going to the forward line or playing, his spot is now there for the taking - so who'll take it? Walsh? Stanley? Lynch?

Oh, and it might be prudent to avoid the "G" word, or anything to do with the last week or so, such as the words Scan Del, Noooood, mentioning the KID, the club that is not to be named, etc. Some Troooolls will undoubtedly have set up RSS feeds to catch those words here, and will make life a misery. Stick to who takes that spot in the forward line now. Hopefully, we can keep them at bay.

For those of us not yet rich enough to spend money on non-essentials, but want to buy the book when they do have the disposable cash, could you please explain what you mean about G. Leave out the traceable names, of course.

From what i can gather "G" has either got to be the bloke that RL mentioned after trade week about a role up forward instead of the backline like "G" is used to, or "G" is "Pick 90"

I've just been reading The Bubble over the last day or so. What I'm reading about discipline, unity, consequences, etc from there, means there is absolutely no possible way at all that G will be going into the forward line this year, as had been planned. No way at all. He'll be lucky if he gets a game in the Sandy 1s.

With an independent Sandy coach, who'ld probably be happy to have a player of "G"s talent, I doubt held be playing VFL ressies.

TBH, the "plug" has never impressed as someone who was going to shoot the lights out on a quiz show. I'd say the guys would appreciate that, and a big pre-season will go a long way to rebuilding the faith. I'd be hoping for a massive year.

Some would say that Rhys is another year away from being a major contributor in the ruck over a full season, and would probably be the obvious bet up forward along with Kenny Rogers (The Gambler).

Greg Hutchison mentioned that Rhys would get a full run at the ruck in the NAB Cup - if it works, he'll probably stay in that role. If not, he'll be tried in the F50.

Whilst Drago was mentioned in the press recently, I don't think that is realistic (but having said that, he'll obviously be played in the NAB Cup too - we'll see how he goes).

The G could also be the individual who discovered that gravity was denser in one part of the world and is in fact a genius for discovering it through his superior playing ability, of coruse the G could also mean a man capable of making any woman swwon with pleasure so let us not just discount the G, for the G can be a man for other men to look up to for his skills with the letter G and spotting abilities with balls!

Now, execution.... that's a different story entirely...

Cripps on a HBF -> Gram HFF, make it so numbah 1!

Here's a pertinent bit from the book (which, btw, I highly recommend). Remember, while this is David Misson talking, he's obviously written it with the endorsement and contribution of the players, coaches, and of Ross himself:

After a year in the job at Moorabbin, my impression of St kilda were of a loyal, hardworking and talented playing group that shied away from ome of the major team-related issues impeding their quest for the ultimate prize. The ability of teammates and, in alot of case, friends, failing to pull up offenders who acted or behaved in ways detrimental to the team - on or off the field - was telling. Failure to perform this unpleasant task erodes a teams ability to pull together and rely on each other when the pressure is on... and when critics and the opposition are coming at you from every angle.
This change needed to start with Nick Riewoldt and Lenny Hayes. Opposite in personality but co-joined with an almost maniacal desire to win, they had to set the tone. It didn't come naturally for either, Lenny in particular, to policiing the team ethos. But they both knew St Kilda Football Club would always remain a high profile under-achiever if they didn't pick up the lead. (The Bubble, p20)

There's some other great bits, that just highlight this tone of accountability, both on and off field. Peake arrived having done very little that was expected of him. This happened at his first training session:

(Ross) "You ran pretty well today, Peakey."
"Yeah, I was happy with how I went."
"Imagine how much better you'll run once you lost that arse!"
Ross Lyon followed that with a dissertation to the new recruit on the expectations and minimum requirements of being a St Kilda player. (The Bubble, p37)

The last thing I'll say, just as an aside, is that, if we have any hope at all from here, it will have a lot to do with Sean Richardson, our club psychologist - he comes across in the book as an absolute 100% gun. He's also the guy who saved a woman drowning early in the season last year. Top quality bloke.

If the photo 'scandal' helps to put some perspective into 'the bubble' or 'the trademark', then there may some good in it after all.

Seriously, some of the behaviour and statements over the last two years reminded me more of a sect or cult than a football club.

Just started reading "the Bubble" its great.

I'm not so sure that any "new" discipline will involve anything near as drastic as languishing in the reserves for a year. (you would expect that anything from the original events last year would have already been dealt with).
You can't just keep punishing people for the same thing, no matter how it keeps raising its ugly head.

I'm not sure that I would class his actions as worse than .. for example .. he who must not be named... even before the straw that broke the camels back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This man is the answer to our forward line troubles.

rhys_stanley_280317_l.jpg

With Riewoldt and Stanley we will be unstoppable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back