Tutorial Oogac's Animated GIF Guide

Remove this Banner Ad

Requirements to make Animated Gif : Adobe Photoshop preferably CS5
I have found this youtube video where animated gifs have been done in Adobe Image Ready which used to be an additional package in older versions of Adobe Creative Suite. It now has been incorporated in Adobe Photoshop CS5. So this will give you a basic understanding.

The process using Photoshop CS5:
1. Gather the images you want to animate into one folder.
2. Open a new document matching the dimensions of your source images.
3. Select all of the source images and drag them together into Photoshop. Release them over the general workspace. The first image should show up with a superimposed “X.” New to Photoshop CS5, the images will stack one at a time as layers in your current document when you hit “Enter.” (In previous versions, dragging the files into the workspace would simply open each one up as separate files)
4. Keep hitting “Enter” until all of the images are loaded as individual layers. Rearrange the layers into the correct order, if necessary.
5. Open the Animation palette (Window > Animation).
6. In the Animation palette menu (found at the top right corner of the palette), click Make Frames From Layers. You can also click Reverse Frames if needed. This will take each layer in your document and set it as an individual frame in the animation.
7. Now we will change the duration of each frame. Make sure you are in frame view, not timeline view. If you do not see thumbnail icons of your layers in the Animation palette, click the icon in the lower right corner (the hover text will say “Convert to Frame Animation”). Now, back in the Animation palette menu, click Select All Frames.
8. Click the drop down button just underneath each frame image). This will bring up a menu where you can set a duration. Since all frames are selected, all frames will be set to the same time. Each frame can be changed individually, if desired
9. The drop down button circled in black in the image above will change how many times the animation will loop; either a fixed number of times, or forever.
10.Once the frame order and timing as been set up, it is time to save the image! Click File > Save for Web & Devices, make sure the file format is set to GIF, change any other options if needed, and save the image!
Always save as a PSD file incase you have to make alterations, A PSD file is a master file which can be re-editied.

To add a head '(ie Hamish’s head).
Open a new window and edit Hamish photo (all you will require in this case is a head)
Copy the head
Go to first layer of animation. Highlight. Then paste (Add head and position over existing head.) This creates a new layer in between Layer 1 and layer 2.
Once you are happy with the position you will have to resize to fit over the top. Rarely do pictures match.
Once you are happy with position. Duplicate layer and move in between layers 2 and 3. Now you will have to move the head to correspond with background position on layer 2.
Then do the same for all the layers. Until you have an additional head layer between all the original animation layers.
Now you should have a series of original base animations and heads
You will notice that there is a dot beside each layer. This makes each layer active or unactive. Highilighted dot means its an active layer. Switching them on an off is required. Make sure once you are happy with everything to switch them all off except Layer 1 and 1st head layer.
Go to animation palatte at bottom of page. Click on frame number 1
All you should see is the first Layer and 1st head.
Click on frame number 2. Make active layer 2 and 2nd head.
Click on frame number 3. Make active layer 3 and 3rd head.
Do this until all layers are complete.
Run the anumation to make sure everything is running ok (See points 9 and 10)
This all may sound very confusing and frustrating but believe me once you have done it a few times it will make sense. And you will get a lot quicker. You will make mistakes but making mistakes is part of the learning process.

To get a base Animation from movie or youtube clip.
Use Youtube Downloader to copy a clip onto your computer. This software is easy to find and its free
Open clip in a video editing program. Ie Windows movie maker, Nero vision (which I use), Adobe Premiere, Corel Video Studio. There are plenty of them out there.
Go to position of clip where you wish to start. Take a Snapshot of frame. (This will place a copy of the frame in your pictures folder.) This will be the first frame of background animation. Forward the clip 4-5 frames and take another snapshot. This will be the second frame of background animation. Repeat until process until you have your series of snapshots.
Note: moving the clip 4-5 frames at a time makes adequate background animation. If you used every frame and took a snapshot you would be there forever.
Once you have completed this process. Edit in snapshots in Adobe Photoshop to create base animation.

Also using Photoshop CS5 you can open existing gifs and modify them

If you don’t have Photoshop CS5. (Your stuffed) haha

You can upload your pics to a Gif Maker site and they make simple animations. Here is a couple but I have never used them
http://makeagif.com
http://gifninja.com

Well that’s about it. Don’t hesitate to ask any more questions

Cheers Oogac.

Dear Oogac,

I have a concept for a gif where KFC boy throws drumsticks, then it cuts to the fat kid getting hit in the head with one of the drumsticks that KFC boy threw.

I made the gif below, but I want to edit it and put a KFC drum stick over the top of the football that hits the kid in the head. But every time I copy paste the drumstick in, it only adds it to the first layer image on my timeframe. Is there a way to edit individual layers in the time frame? Am I even making sense? I only learned how to use photoshop yesterday. Thoughts?

1-KFC-boy-owns-fat-kid_zps9c5a77bc.gif

Dear Oogac,

I have a concept for a gif where KFC boy throws drumsticks, then it cuts to the fat kid getting hit in the head with one of the drumsticks that KFC boy threw.

I made the gif below, but I want to edit it and put a KFC drum stick over the top of the football that hits the kid in the head. But every time I copy paste the drumstick in, it only adds it to the first layer image on my timeframe. Is there a way to edit individual layers in the time frame? Am I even making sense? I only learned how to use photoshop yesterday. Thoughts?

1-KFC-boy-owns-fat-kid_zps9c5a77bc.gif
Do you have a Mac? Because I know how, but I can't help you if you're a Windows user.

Do you have a Mac? Because I know how, but I can't help you if you're a Windows user.
It doesn't matter whether you're on a Mac or a PC.

I can do it for you if you can't figure it out, Taz.

Windows using CS 6. I think part of my problem is that when I drag the drumstick over to the animated timeline, it is creating a frame at the end of the time (33rd frame) rather than the second frame as per Oogac's post for some reason. It is super imposing the drumstick, but only on frame one, and I can't drag it over to any of the other frames for some reason.

It doesn't matter whether you're on a Mac or a PC.

I can do it for you if you can't figure it out, Taz.

Thanks, Imach. :thumbsu: I'll keep playing with it for awhile, because it is a good learning experience.

Windows using CS 6. I think part of my problem is that when I drag the drumstick over to the animated timeline, it is creating a frame at the end of the time (33rd frame) rather than the second frame as per Oogac's post for some reason. It is super imposing the drumstick, but only on frame one, and I can't drag it over to any of the other frames for some reason.

Thanks, Imach. :thumbsu: I'll keep playing with it for awhile, because it is a good learning experience.
Just let me know if you're still having trouble with it and I should be able to do it tonight.

Pretty sure you can't do that in the animation timeline, needs to be done over in the layers section, and individually for each layer.

Pretty sure you can't do that in the animation timeline, needs to be done over in the layers section, and individually for each layer.

This is how I have it set up. So what I am trying to do is highlight and drag the drumstick on to picture in the middle (which is the fifth layer as you can see it is selected from the timeline), but what happens is that it ends up creating a 33rd layer, and superimposes the drumstick on to the first frame (highlighted in red), and not the fifth frame. I can't drag that drumstick anywhere else either. I can move it around on the first frame, but I can't move it to a different frame. Have a feeling I ain't doin' it right.

example.png

This is how I have it set up. So what I am trying to do is highlight and drag the drumstick on to picture in the middle (which is the fifth layer as you can see it is selected from the timeline), but what happens is that it ends up creating a 33rd layer, and superimposes the drumstick on to the first frame (highlighted in red), and not the fifth frame. I can't drag that drumstick anywhere else either. I can move it around on the first frame, but I can't move it to a different frame. Have a feeling I ain't doin' it right

Yeah, turn off animation, that's the last thing you do.

You need to do the dragging and dropping in the layers panel. So for layer 5 over there, you need to have the new layer with the drumstick on the layer above, then you do your re-sizing and stuff. You then duplicate the drumstick layer, and repeat the process for each initial layer. When you've done that, you merge each initial layer with the drumstick (select one of those layers, and only have the 2 of them "viewed", then select up the top menu: Layer -> Merge Visible).

Photoshop prioritises layers that are higher on the panel than lower (if that makes sense). So if you have a solid layer above something, you won't see what's below.

You need to do the dragging and dropping in the layers panel. So for layer 5 over there, you need to have the new layer with the drumstick on the layer above, then you do your re-sizing and stuff. You then duplicate the drumstick layer, and repeat the process for each initial layer. When you've done that, you merge each initial layer with the drumstick (select one of those layers, and only have the 2 of them "viewed", then select up the top menu: Layer -> Merge Visible).

Photoshop prioritises layers that are higher on the panel than lower (if that makes sense). So if you have a solid layer above something, you won't see what's below.

OK, cool thanks. I think that makes sense. I'll give it a go tonight when I got a bit of time. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldnt have said it better myself. But I prefer not to merge the files incase something is not quite right.
When you start your animation you can select multi layers for each frame. ie background layer 1 and drumstick layer 1. They will combine in animation timeline.

I couldnt have said it better myself. But I prefer not to merge the files incase something is not quite right.
When you start your animation you can select multi layers for each frame. ie background layer 1 and drumstick layer 1. They will combine in animation timeline.

Wasn't aware you could do that. I was always told to have the history panel set at 50 changes, and then you're very unlikely to run into trouble anyway. :p

Wasn't aware you could do that. I was always told to have the history panel set at 50 changes, and then you're very unlikely to run into trouble anyway. :p

But you can always guarantee ... the problem occurs back at the 51st change :eek:

oogac So CS2 is not useable?

CS2 should be ok. But you have to use Image Ready (separate program) included with CS2 to make animations. Found this youtube clip.

I just got cs6 and I've been trying to do this.. I'm pretty sure I've got the above right but I'm not sure where to go once you've merged all the required layers. I go to play the animation to test it and it just plays the first frame over and over again. I've tried making all layers visible, all layers except layer one hidden.. nothing seems to work. It's probably something simple but I'll be stuffed if I can work out what it is.

Any ideas?

oogac

Im nôt familiar with CS6 but it shouldnt to too different from 5.5. Im sure it is something simple.

1. Recheck by clicking on each frame and make sure no additional layers have been added. Turn them off if they have.

or

2. Go to the first frame of the animation and make it blank by turning off all the layers you have used. See if the animation starts up (without the first frame). You can then always place the first frame at the end as it will be looping around. I dont know why but layers on the first frame do cause a few problems especially if you have added layers.

Im nôt familiar with CS6 but it shouldnt to too different from 5.5. Im sure it is something simple.

1. Recheck by clicking on each frame and make sure no additional layers have been added. Turn them off if they have.

or

2. Go to the first frame of the animation and make it blank by turning off all the layers you have used. See if the animation starts up (without the first frame). You can then always place the first frame at the end as it will be looping around. I dont know why but layers on the first frame do cause a few problems especially if you have added layers.

I've just gone to open the file I saved last night before giving up and hitting the sack.. saved it as a gif and guess what? It's a gif of one frame. So I pretty much lost everything lol. What file format do you save as.. psd?

I think I really need some kind of tutorial about how to do this. It seems to be the one thing missing from the internetz.. can find tutorials on just about everything except.

For the record from what I can tell CS6 seems to be pretty much identical to 5 for all intents and purposes.

I just got cs6 and I've been trying to do this.. I'm pretty sure I've got the above right but I'm not sure where to go once you've merged all the required layers. I go to play the animation to test it and it just plays the first frame over and over again. I've tried making all layers visible, all layers except layer one hidden.. nothing seems to work. It's probably something simple but I'll be stuffed if I can work out what it is.

Did you try the whole only making one layer visible, but different layers for each frame?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back