Open Mike: Don Scott

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He needs to be invited back to the club. Feels unwanted.

Great interview

bugalugs213

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was hoping for an hour long episode he can tell a story or two i reckon.
You can see he loves the club that he'd give them an arm if they needed it but the way the AFL has gone he probably cant fit in.

Lewis4Prez

Debutant
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was incredibly hard to watch how detached he seemed from such a large part of his life, absolute nut of a bloke so I assume something happened between he and Kennett

Flamin Joe

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glenelg, Norwood
He needs to be invited back to the club. Feels unwanted.

Great interview

I don't think he wants to go back but I can understand where he's coming from. Footy clubs these days are full of people who fly in/fly out, career coaches, recruiters, medical staff etc etc. You don't have many people at AFL clubs these days that are doing it solely for the love of the club and not being paid.

But what he needs to understand, and think from the interview he was stubbornly not wanting to hear it, is that things have changed dramatically since the time he played. Football for good or bad is at the end of the day a mutli-million dollar business. It's never going to go back to the way it was, it can't, clubs simply wouldn't survive in this current environment.

I love him for what he did for the club as a player and later in the merger years, but he's stuck in his ways and won't change. I doubt he's interested in coming back.

Dragz

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Oh, used to work there once. No need to go back, it's not the same as it used to be. Didn't like how a few things happened. Don't really give care that much now.
Why would I be good friends with everybody?

That's pretty much what i got out of it.

Always grateful to him for saving HFC and for his service though.

Jedstar

He'll be back
Jul 21, 2007
Deep in a sea of ennui
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Damn. Wish I hadn't missed that. If anybody could manage to upload it like the Dermie one, that would be excellent! :D

On a similar topic, is there a way to watch On The Couch online? Don't have Foxtel currently at my place, I want to hear them talking up Hawthorn. :oops:

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
He is a unique individual. His outfit was quite remarkable. I thought perhaps he was religious now, dressed all in orange (like a Hindu) with the colourful scarf. Certainly speaks his mind!
Interesting cat.

Watsclarkosmob

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah I don't know what to take from that interview, he seemed very stubborn and contradicted a lot of the things he was trying to say. It's very sad a Hawthorn premiership captain does not feel welcome at the club and I don't feel it's so much the clubs fault on that.

Wasn't he the voice of the ticket that was going to run against Ian Dicker that ended up being Kennett? How can you say you don't care for these type of people running the club when you where part of bringing one to the club...two if you include all the work he did to save the club from the merger and the club had a hard look how to stop a merger happening again and the solution was for it to make money, which Ian Dicker did. I think it's a cop out for Don Scott to pretty much say "I love this club more than you" towards Ian Dicker the way he was saying people aren't there for the club.

Is Jason Dunstall not Hawthorn enough for him?

So Hawthorn tried past players as coaches and it didn't work so we get Clarko we build a great team and he no longer wants to watch us play? WTF?

How much does this bitterness towards the club have to do the way his son was treated?

I was really looking forward to this interview when I heard about it but I finished it a little pissed off at Don Scott and the love I had for him for all his work he did to save the club lost a little of it's polish.

Also those around at the time did he really dress like that? I hope it blended into the 70s alright because that is just embarrassing. "Hawthorn Player turns up to tribunal with handbag" WTF.

Mar 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Dallas Cowboys
Just watching it now, he is dribbling some s**t about how no one at Hawthorn is passionate about it, yeah ok try telling that to Luke Hodge or Cyril Rioli. I wont ever forget what he did for the club but he's living in the past a bit there.

For some reason he reminded me slightly of Walter White from Breaking Bad.

Mar 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Dallas Cowboys
Damn. Wish I hadn't missed that. If anybody could manage to upload it like the Dermie one, that would be excellent! :D

On a similar topic, is there a way to watch On The Couch online? Don't have Foxtel currently at my place, I want to hear them talking up Hawthorn. :oops:
You should be able to watch it online on their website, if not you can upload a podcast.

GoDermie

Rookie
Sep 6, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He is a unique individual. His outfit was quite remarkable. I thought perhaps he was religious now, dressed all in orange (like a Hindu) with the colourful scarf. Certainly speaks his mind!
Interesting cat.
He was always way ahead of his time.
Had a manbag back in the 70s.

hawker11

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Said some unfashionable comments about the landscape of the AFL and in some ways made some good points.

It is good to have people like Don Scott making these comments, keeps clubs accountable to a degree.

Good to see him beat the cancer, and despite the fallout I hope down the track we see a statue of him at Waverley Park ripping the hawk logo off the Melbourne guernsey. This with Langford holding up the hawthorn guernsey after the 'merger match' were symbolic gestures that contributed to Operation Fightback being the success it was.

mollyfud

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, Vikings
Yeah, like others, I don't think their is anything truely the Hawks could do in the modern era to get him back and in reality, he doesn't seem that worried about it. Just says it isn't the same as his day. Fair enough.
You have to respect the block as a player and you have to respect him for saving the club from merger but have to say, so glad he didn't get back (after watching this) when he threatened to challenge Ian Dicker!

Phil McCreviss

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 29, 2007
Manhattan, New York
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yankees, Giants
I had a yarn to old Don at a mutual family friends party 3 years ago. I asked him a lot of the questions Mike asked him. He is a very complex character. He leads a pretty simple life with a fair amount of eccentricity. I probably spoke to him for a good hour and he had some cracker stories but deep down he still bleeds brown and gold. It occasionally came out when he talked about his captaincy. Had a bit of a glint in his eye. But there is no way he would return to the club. Both Kennett and Dicker extended the olive branch a number of times to no avail. If we win the flag in September, old Don will be happy despite his bravado on last nights show.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think what Don Scott was alluding too is exactly what Tim Boyle wrote about a few years ago.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnew...n-the-ride-ends/2009/10/02/1254418713081.html

Don Scott is obviously a bigger name at Hawthorn but the premise is exactly the same. Once you are no longer a player, you are an outsider. I sensed that Scott was yearning for some sense of a closer belonging at the club, or some sense of familiarity like he felt when he was a player. Reality is it is no longer his time, the baton has been passed on and it belongs to the current players, and eventually they will pass it on to the next guys. It is not much different to why Dunstall was not present in 08 when the Hawks won the premiership and Clarko had to take the cup to him that night. I suspect Dunstall knew that it was not his, it was the players.

I disagree that Scott is not part of the club. He was at the Kennedy lunch last week or the week before. He can go to premiership reunions if he chooses to - not sure if he does. These events are more closely related to what the actual culture of the footy club is than hanging around Waverley and these events are still ultimately about the players.

Phil - I think you have covered my thoughts on Scotty.
Don was interviewed after our 08 win and said something like didn't really worry him that we won. DEEP DOWN I AM SURE HE WAS EXTACITIC:thumbsu:

mollyfud

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, Vikings
I think what Don Scott was alluding too is exactly what Tim Boyle wrote about a few years ago.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnew...n-the-ride-ends/2009/10/02/1254418713081.html

Don Scott is obviously a bigger name at Hawthorn but the premise is exactly the same. Once you are no longer a player, you are an outsider. I sensed that Scott was yearning for some sense of a closer belonging at the club, or some sense of familiarity like he felt when he was a player. Reality is it is no longer his time, the baton has been passed on and it belongs to the current players, and eventually they will pass it on to the next guys. It is not much different to why Dunstall was not present in 08 when the Hawks won the premiership and Clarko had to take the cup to him that night. I suspect Dunstall knew that it was not his, it was the players.

I disagree that Scott is not part of the club. He was at the Kennedy lunch last week or the week before. He can go to premiership reunions if he chooses to - not sure if he does. These events are more closely related to what the actual culture of the footy club is than hanging around Waverley and these events are still ultimately about the players.

Great call and that is probably why he loves local footy so much. I am not fully involved (and never really have been although moving that way a little with an 8 year old at a club for AusKick) in local footy, but it sounds like what he said he loved about the "old hawthorn". If the Hawks stayed the way he hoped, we would be relocated to Tassie by now.
I don't see that he is fully complaining about the club, just saying its not for him.

Great 2008

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I felt like this at a recent player reunion of the soccer club I had a lot of success with. After leaving for work reasons and then going back, I had hoped the magic of that succesfull time would still be there, but it was gone. It was all about the players playing in the here and now which is fair enough and the way it should be. Strange feeling though.

Back