Open Mike with Jason Akermanis

Remove this Banner Ad

Petrie4PM

Team Captain
Aug 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hi Guys

If this is in the wrong spot OR has been posted somewhere before (might need a bump) please remove it or let me know and I will delete - but this interview has to be the most fascinating piece of media I have ever seen.

Has anyone seen it? The insights he gives about the western bulldogs, his pay, his pay in the media, the open meetings, team culture, leadership groups, tensions between players, etc, is great.

I enjoyed this a great deal (and the glen archer interview too)

TheOz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Token American sports team
Hi Guys

If this is in the wrong spot OR has been posted somewhere before (might need a bump) please remove it or let me know and I will delete - but this interview has to be the most fascinating piece of media I have ever seen.

Has anyone seen it? The insights he gives about the western bulldogs, his pay, his pay in the media, the open meetings, team culture, leadership groups, tensions between players, etc, is great.

I enjoyed this a great deal (and the glen archer interview too)

I agree, was a fascinating interview. Aker is never short of expressing an opinion.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Still doesn't make it correct though, just means you can say it and some people believe it....

True that. Still, he was an incredible player.

It is actually a bit of a shame that this often gets lost in all the other bullshit that goes with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
When you are as good as he was you can say what you like.

When you are as good as he was - for a while - you can say what you like.

He didn't exactly retire having just swept the floor with footy's awards. He was finished like everyone else before him.

The alternative of course, is to play with dignity and class. But we can't have that.

mehow2g

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Aker got a bad wrap because he spoke his mind and questioned the game at times, afl doesn't like that probably why his image isn't the greatest.

But carry on let's listen to current players saying "the boys did wel so brave courage for a good cause we are up and about week at a time we know they were going to be tough we need to give 100% ill talk contract end of year so brave"

When you are as good as he was you can say what you like.
When your at your peak yes, when he was starting to struggle at the bulldogs he needed to
Learn to shut the * up for a while

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
When you are as good as he was - for a while - you can say what you like.

He didn't exactly retire having just swept the floor with footy's awards. He was finished like everyone else before him.

The alternative of course, is to play with dignity and class. But we can't have that.

Mate, awards are not everything. Plenty of great players never won a thing. As it is Aker won a truckload of accolades. Genuinely great player, and obviously a knob to go with it.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
True that. Still, he was an incredible player.

It is actually a bit of a shame that this often gets lost in all the other bullshit that goes with him.

One of the most talented and skillful players I've seen at the Dogs, and we got him on the downward end of his career. No questioning his ability.

Aker got a bad wrap because he spoke his mind and questioned the game at times, afl doesn't like that probably why his image isn't the greatest.

It's not just that - it's the stupidity and mindless nature of his comments - combined with the lies and with the infantile defence of people like Sam Newman that doesn't help.

Take the Gay Players issue.. Aker could have made some really, really valuable comments regarding gay players in AFL - such as 'regardless of their orientation, if they are committed to the same cause (a flag), we'll always support them and back them' - which I know is PC bullshit, warm and fuzzy etc - but it would have really helped the cause of gay people and players across all sports. Wouldn't have cost him anything to say this... Instead we got 18th century - 'they might look at me in the showers' - sorry, but Aker wasn't the prettiest out there, no one was watching him in the showers....

Then he lied about it, took no responsibility and got his mates in the press to bag the Dogs, the players and the management....

It wasn't just the comments that were stupid, everything about it was stupid....

Genius with a football, idiot without....

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
What did he actually say though, something along the lines that any gay players would be better off not going public about it?

And then not really being welcome around the club because he was uncomfortable with the idea of having to share a locker room and shower with them and they'd be disruptive because they were thinking about the guys not focussing on the task etc etc...

Paraphrasing off a dodgy memory here.... Try Google....

cammo78

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mooroolbark FC, Arizona Cardinals
Bobby, that you ? :p

I like Aker. he knew he was a self centered prick with good intentions. At least he owned his mistakes.

You serious?

That's exactly my point. Everything was someone else's fault with him.

It was brisbane and Leigh's fault he was run out of there, even though he'd been a disruptive influence for years and broadcast private team info.

Then at the dogs it was Gia's fault he was sacked, again after shooting off at the mouth continually.

I'm sorry. That many respected people can't be wrong. Having "courage" to speak your mind isn't worth a pinch of s**t when your opinions are lies and inflammatory garbage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back