Open Mike with Jason Akermanis

Remove this Banner Ad

what's aker doing these days?

I really hope a club takes a punt and hire him as a skills coach or something. His footy skills were impecabble.

Coaching North Albury in the ovens and murray. Doing an exceptional job at coaching not so much at promoting the league

Just an idle question
Actually strikes me as a cheap shot that is not justified because of the leg up that helped significantly in gifting Brissy 3 flags. Without that leg up, who knows how many, if any flags Aker would have? So one can hardly impugn the doggies for an uneven playing field.

When we traded Aker I remember copping s**t from Dogs fans saying that he was a steal and that our leadership group were a bunch of arrogant cry babies for kicking him out etc and that he would thrive in their culture...

A few years later...

Ultimately, it was Aker unwilling to subject himself to a team ethic in a team environment.

To his credit, he is slowly trying to turn his reputation around post footy. Really doing his best to work his way back into the Brisbane Lions "family" which is great.

And as much as I dislike the man, I really hope he can achieve that.

I found it really sad that after all he'd achieved, he was "unwelcome" to partake in the reunion/reminiscing of it all. Even if he was to blame for it. Such a waste.

In a way, I think that drive some of his later behaviour from a "nothing left to lose", perspective.

Actually strikes me as a cheap shot that is not justified because of the leg up that helped significantly in gifting Brissy 3 flags. Without that leg up, who knows how many, if any flags Aker would have? So one can hardly impugn the doggies for an uneven playing field.

Not really. If Akermanis' version is to be believed, it appears that is pretty much the crux of where the issues all began at the Bulldogs. According to Aka, he's being told by Bulldogs players that have never played in a grand final, that if he does this and doesn't do that, he'll win a premiership with the Bulldogs. If that's anywhere near accurate, if any of Brisbane's triple premiership players was put in that position (Lappin, Pike, Voss, Brown, Power, White, Leppitsch, McRae, Black, Keating Hart, Ashcroft, Lynch, Johnson, Michael), few would have responded as poorly as Akermanis probably did, but I'm just as sure that few - if any - wouldn't at least be thinking to themselves 'Are these guys kidding or what? I've played in three...they don't have one between them...'

Even someone like Voss, the consummate professional, if he was in that situation where these guys are telling him what he needs to do to help them win a premiership, I'm not sure he'd be above responding with the obvious 'How many premierships have you guys played in, again? So how would you know what it takes?'

Not really. If Akermanis' version is to be believed, it appears that is pretty much the crux of where the issues all began at the Bulldogs. According to Aka, he's being told by Bulldogs players that have never played in a grand final, that if he does this and doesn't do that, he'll win a premiership with the Bulldogs. If that's anywhere near accurate, if any of Brisbane's triple premiership players was put in that position (Lappin, Pike, Voss, Brown, Power, White, Leppitsch, McRae, Black, Keating Hart, Ashcroft, Lynch, Johnson, Michael), few would have responded as poorly as Akermanis probably did, but I'm just as sure that few - if any - wouldn't at least be thinking to themselves 'Are these guys kidding or what? I've played in three...they don't have one between them...'

Even someone like Voss, the consummate professional, if he was in that situation where these guys are telling him what he needs to do to help them win a premiership, I'm not sure he'd be above responding with the obvious 'How many premierships have you guys played in, again? So how would you know what it takes?'

With all due respect, the only thing any Bulldogs player told Akermanis he "needed to do to win a premiership" was shut his bloody gob in the media and bringing unwanted distraction/attention to the joint.

Nothing more.

None of the other players you mention would need any such advice to begin with.

With all due respect, the only thing any Bulldogs player told Akermanis he "needed to do to win a premiership" was shut his bloody gob in the media and bringing unwanted distraction/attention to the joint.

Nothing more.

None of the other players you mention would need any such advice to begin with.

But that doesn't matter. The advice could be about anything that the player was doing that they didn't like. Say Voss was intimidating/unapproachable to the younger Bulldogs, or McRae wasn't working hard enough when he didn't have the ball, or whatever. No-one is perfect.

Akermanis said that Cooney specifically told him that if he does the things that the players are asking of him, he'll win a fourth premiership. And Aka's point was pretty much that he wasn't the only loose cannon at Brisbane in the Lions' glory years, that Brisbane never worried about this minor stuff and the inference was that he found it hard for him, as a three-time premiership player, to take a lecture on what it takes to a premiership from someone like Adam Cooney seriously. Which seems fair enough. But we're only hearing one side of the story.

If what he's saying is accurate, someone like Cooney could have handled it better, by rather than talking about premierships (which could be pretty clearly be seen to be the wrong way to approach it with Akermanis), talking about how his antics were making it hard for him (Cooney) and others to get in the right frame of mind to focus on the game that week. Put his focus on how his actions affect others in the team, rather than talking to him about winning premierships, which Aka was always likely to respond poorly to.

But you are assuming Aker's version of the events is accurate when he has been shown up as a liar on a number of occasions-so why would i accept his take? Can you see someone as intelligent and self-effacing as Murphy telling Akermanis how to win a flag? Beside which that doesn't seem to me to be a reflection of what I have heard about how Leading teams operates.
Besides which just because you have played in premierships doesn't necessarily mean you know how to guide another team to success.( though it can't hurt!)

But you are assuming Aker's version of the events is accurate when he has been shown up as a liar on a number of occasions-so why would i accept his take?

You can accept what you like. I'm no great fan of Akermanis, but his version of the incident and his reaction, seems quite reasonable to me.

Can you see someone as intelligent and self-effacing as Murphy telling Akermanis how to win a flag?

He specifically said it was Cooney.

Beside which that doesn't seem to me to be a reflection of what I have heard about how Leading teams operates.
Besides which just because you have played in premierships doesn't necessarily mean you know how to guide another team to success.( though it can't hurt!)

To me, an issue that could arise with a Leading Teams style set-up would be exactly what happened there: that you've got a wildcard/problem child in your team, that also happens to have had by far the most team success in his career and arguably the most individual success. Perhaps why it worked so well at Geelong was because we had one premiership player on our list in 2007 and he certainly had no delusions of grandeur about his premiership experience. Players were more on level pegging and the criticisms were more along the line of 'get off the piss', 'do the extra work and you could be our Chris Judd', 'make yourself a more approachable person' and so on.

Akermanis referred to it as the worst bullying he had ever witnessed/experienced. Like you said, it can't hurt that he has been there and done that. By the Bulldogs players taking the tone they did with him, he could quite easily be excused for taking that to mean that the players that are questioning/criticising/demanding things of him are downplaying his role in those great premiership teams; that rather than one of the prime movers, he was just someone along for the ride. From Aka's perspective, he would know for a fact that a team could win a premiership with the 'distraction' of Jason Akermanis in the side. And the Bulldogs players really weren't in a position to dispute that.

Last edited:
You can accept what you like. I'm no great fan of Akermanis, but his version of the incident and his reaction, seems quite reasonable to me.

He specifically said it was Cooney.

To me, an issue that could arise with a Leading Teams style set-up would be exactly what happened there: that you've got a wildcard/problem child in your team, that also happens to have had by far the most team success in his career and arguably the most individual success. Perhaps why it worked so well at Geelong was because we had one premiership player on our list in 2007 and he certainly had no delusions of grandeur about his premiership experience. Players were more on level pegging and the criticisms were more along the line of 'get off the piss', 'do the extra work and you could be our Chris Judd', 'make yourself a more approachable person' and so on.

Akermanis referred to it as the worst bullying he had ever witnessed/experienced. Like you said, it can't hurt that he has been there and done that. By the Bulldogs players taking the tone they did with him, he could quite easily be excused for taking that to mean that the players that are questioning/criticising/demanding things of him are downplaying his role in those great premiership players; that rather than one of the prime movers, he was just someone along for the ride. From Aka's perspective, he would know for a fact that a team could win a premiership with the 'distraction' of Jason Akermanis in the side. And the Bulldogs players really weren't in a position to dispute that.
Yep ok didn't know all of this stuff, but still not sure Aker's version is reliable.
To say it was the worst bullying seems a big call I must say but maybe in the wrong hands LT is open to exploitation. But I can't see people like Johnson and Murphy and Gia allowing such 'bullying' to endure. Maybe Aker just thought it was beneath him to be questioned by lesser footballers? And my understanding is that LT is about more than just ability.

Brisbane weren't an unbeatable powerhouse side full of superstars, they simply knew how to get the job done when it mattered. 0 minor premierships, 3 flags.

And any advantages they had were available to any side who were disadvantaged by having so many players from interstate. They even had potential father/sons turn them down, which I don't reckon happened too often at, say, Geelong for example.

My opinion is a bit divided about Aker. I've always enjoyed his openness even when I disagree with him, but you can't put that many teammates from two clubs offside unless you're doing something wrong. In saying that, he's a breath of fresh air compared to most footballers who offer little more than cliches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane weren't an unbeatable powerhouse side full of superstars, they simply knew how to get the job done when it mattered. 0 minor premierships, 3 flags.

And any advantages they had were available to any side who were disadvantaged by having so many players from interstate. They even had potential father/sons turn them down, which I don't reckon happened too often at, say, Geelong for example.
They were a very talented team-they had a number of champion or very good players Black, Aker, Voss, Brown, White, Leppitsch, Wakelin, Lynch, Johnson, Pike, Power, McGrath .... strikes me as little ingenuous to say they weren't a powerful team.
That list was able to be maintained to a large degree because of the salary cap etc. Yep they may have turned down a father /son ( who?)-just shows how privileged they were.

Four grand finals in a row, winning the first three.....average good players don't do that..

..but superstars do.

oh, and Aker is a Lion and always will be.....and has been welcomed back home by the club and his ex teammates.

Last edited:
They were a very talented team-they had a number of champion or very good players Black, Aker, Voss, Brown, White, Leppitsch, Wakelin, Lynch, Johnson, Pike, Power, McGrath .... strikes me as little ingenuous to say they weren't a powerful team.
That list was able to be maintained to a large degree because of the salary cap etc. Yep they may have turned down a father /son ( who?)-just shows how privileged they were.

No, the potential father/son turned them down, and he now captains Carlton as it happens. They were a powerful team no doubt, but they weren't the sort of team that rolled through season after season like a juggernaut. They were lucky that Port were perennial chokers more than anything.

Yep ok didn't know all of this stuff, but still not sure Aker's version is reliable.
To say it was the worst bullying seems a big call I must say but maybe in the wrong hands LT is open to exploitation. But I can't see people like Johnson and Murphy and Gia allowing such 'bullying' to endure. Maybe Aker just thought it was beneath him to be questioned by lesser footballers? And my understanding is that LT is about more than just ability.
The singling out of Aka in front of the whole team and coaches and demanding him to give up his life outside of football, as well as over half of his salary if he wants to ever play another AFL game is where the bullying occurs...

Martin Pike would not have approved this trade.

D
Mate he called players from my team drug cheats, im not bitter because I realise with AFLs culture peds were probably common.
From the sounds of the interview it almost sounds like it may not necessarily have been PEDs but recreational drugs? The way aker says it...is a bit funny. Not saying it's true but just watch that bit a again...

No, the potential father/son turned them down, and he now captains Carlton as it happens. They were a powerful team no doubt, but they weren't the sort of team that rolled through season after season like a juggernaut. They were lucky that Port were perennial chokers more than anything.
Yep couldn't really give a toss bag re your father /son issues. Bit of a side issue to the quality of their list isn't it.
Yep, the Brisbane team didn't destroy everyone in its wake during the season, but it was, nonetheless a talent-laden, powerful team that gained advantages that assisted it success and that makes it a bit of an unfair comparison with a struggling Melbourne club. Quite clearcut and Its not a lot for you to concede really.

Last edited:
The singling out of Aka in front of the whole team and coaches and demanding him to give up his life outside of football, as well as over half of his salary if he wants to ever play another AFL game is where the bullying occurs...
Perhaps but has this been verified by anyone other than Aker? i thought LT put each individual out the front and asked 'hard questions' and made demands of them? Are you suggesting Aker was the only one subjected to this process? If that is the case then, yep, he can feel aggrieved.
They asked him to concentrate on his football from what I can see-not that unreasonable-again you just accept Aker's slant on things, when he has demonstrated that he is a manipulator of the truth.
The salary issues are a non issue for mine and have been explained several times by other posters. The explanation strikes me as being entirely reasonable on the part of the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back