Scoopar

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2006
Long Way from Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hearts of Midlothian, GB Packers.
Having met Alec Epis a few times, I was really looking forward to tonight's Open Mike. Kooka's an incredibly charismatic bloke. I vaguely remember him as a footballer but can recall how popular he was at Essendon in the 1960's. Great work by Michael Sheehan for having Kooka on. I had high expectations and it delivered a thoroughly enjoyable half hour.

Scoopar

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2006
Long Way from Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Didn't find it particularly interesting at all TBH.

You appear hard to please.

Let's see.....
Digging for gold & has a gun battle with guys in trucks
Rejected by Collingwood & spends 2 years out of the game to play with Essendon
As an 18yo moves from Kalgoorlie, in the 1950's
Plays under a false name in the notorious violent Sunday comp that attracted gambling
Wayne Harmes old man tells him to stand behind him & be ready to belt anyone who gets by
Has a blew with John Coleman that ends up with the Doc getting a broken jaw
Gets a dummy from the Collingwood cheer squad
Gives Tuddy the dummy
In best three @ age 31 in his last game in a losing GF
Walks into the secretary's office to retire & gets told he was already 'retired'
On the Essendon board & tries to have Sheedy sacked
Helps players like Manton & Lloyd despite not bring an assistant coach
Told an opponent he (Epis) was on fire & the opponent should change flanks to avoid a hiding
The said rival kicked 4 in the first quarter
Never married & lets Sheehan know that doesn't mean anything
Now a very successful wine maker
Plus quite a big more....

Seriously if one did not appreciate what Epis brought to the Open Mike table, then you are a very shallow follower of the game.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings

Let's see.....
Plays under a false name in the notorious violent Sunday comp that attracted gambling
Wayne Harmes old man tells him to stand behind him & be ready to belt anyone who gets by
Gives Tuddy the dummy
Walks into the secretary's office to retire & gets told he was already 'retired'
Told an opponent he (Epis) was on fire & the opponent should change flanks to avoid a hiding

Seriously if one did not appreciate what Epis brought to the Open Mike table, then you are a very shallow follower of the game.

Them I'm a very shallow follower of the game :cool:

It was alright. Wasn't really excited or enthralled by it.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good to hear the positive reviews. Will watch when I get a chance, did it talk much about his relationship with Sheedy? Sheedy had a real go at him in his book that came out a few years back.

Good to hear the positive reviews. Will watch when I get a chance, did it talk much about his relationship with Sheedy? Sheedy had a real go at him in his book that came out a few years back.
They touched on it. Out of a 30 minute interview (could easily gone an hour I think) they probably spent about 5 minutes on it I reckon.

No. The episodes with recently retired players have always been the worst ones.

I just didn't find this one especially interesting. No big overarching judgement required.
Do you even BF bro?

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Didn't care for first 3-4 minutes about Italy, dragged on IMO. Good though to hear about football in a different era.

I wonder if any clubs have been under-represented on Open Mike. I might go back and check.

Scoopar

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2006
Long Way from Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I guess it shouldn't really matter what others think, but it does strike me a touch narrow minded if one cannot sit down and hear a guy like Alec Epis and not be fascinated by his life in footy. I reckon Kooka has a lot more amazing stories than those discussed in the show. In the list of highlights, I forgot to mention the Somerville incident - that enabled Epis to play in the 1962 GF.

But it does get one wondering about others from that who would be a fascinating subject. One I can think of is John Dugdale who finished up at North in 1970, after 248 games, unfortunately 3 years prior to Barassi coming over. Dugdale became an asssistant to Barassi through the golden years of the 1970's. Both of his lads Glen & Dean played for North. John won the club goal kicking 7 times and was captain for 3 years. He coached North for one game in 1977 when Barassi was unavailable.

And staying on the Italian player theme, (ie: Alec Epis), Tony Polinelli would be very interesting. Polinelli started on the bench in Geelong's 1963 premiership team and was a member of the 1967 GF team. Super quick he won the Bendigo Thousand Gift (Caulfield Cup of pro-running in its day) in 1966 before running 2nd to Bill Howard in the 1966 Stawell Gift. It's rumoured Polinelli would smoke a pipe at half time.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Let's see.....
Gives Tuddy the dummy

One of the best. See there is a book on Coleman being released, I'll certainly check to see if the Kooka incident gets a mention.

Missing seasons to get a clearance to Vic by WA country kids wasnt unusual, Wayne Richardson comes to mind.

But it does get one wondering about others from that who would be a fascinating subject. One I can think of is John Dugdale who finished up at North in 1970, after 248 games, unfortunately 3 years prior to Barassi coming over. Dugdale became an asssistant to Barassi through the golden years of the 1970's. Both of his lads Glen & Dean played for North. John won the club goal kicking 7 times and was captain for 3 years. He coached North for one game in 1977 when Barassi was unavailable.

Could jump.

637388-john-dugdale.jpg

smoovy

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2007
God's country
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC AUFC
Won't happen, but love to see a couple of South Australian specific (although Knuckles and Cornes were done)

- Barrie Robran
- Russell Ebert
- David Granger
- Grenville Dietrich
- John Cahill

Back