FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

says who? BF used to close at 1000 posts then they stopped doing that.

There's no point arbitrarily ending a thread. One thing that would make sense is:
Open Mike: Season Four (2014)
Open Mike: Season Five (2015)
etc

Another solid year for Open Mike.

Best episode: Stoneham
Favourite episode: Barnes
Worst episode: Pert
Most fun personality: Couch
Funniest voice: Neitz
Most necessary episode: Voss
Most unnecessary episode: Ricky Nixon/McCartney
Most flippant/grouchy: Tuddenham
Guest who surpised me: Mal Michael (spoke very well)
WTF? Number 4 draft pick, almost 200 games at 3 clubs, played in a losing GF then missed out on a flag the following year, Bali Bombing, comeback game, unexpected retirement, Freo development manager, now Dogs list manager. If ever there was a football personality with a story to tell, it was him.
Agree on Nixon though, complete waste of 2 eps.
Kerley and Mooney were 2 of my favourites this year.
Kosi up there with Pert for the worst.

good series after some poor ones early on.

The 2 stand outs for me were Kearly and Couch while others i enjoyed were Voss,Barnes,Loewe and Monkhurst.

worst ones were Daniher (gave nothing), Pert (robotic answers), McClean (boring) and Nixon (contradicted himself too much).

hope they do it again next year.

WTF? Number 4 draft pick, almost 200 games at 3 clubs, played in a losing GF then missed out on a flag the following year, Bali Bombing, comeback game, unexpected retirement, Freo development manager, now Dogs list manager. If ever there was a football personality with a story to tell, it was him.
Agree on Nixon though, complete waste of 2 eps.
Kerley and Mooney were 2 of my favourites this year.
Kosi up there with Pert for the worst.
I had read mccartney's book, so no surprises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rene Kink was a strange one but compelling.

Really odd for a player to feel he has done enough when he is going well and then to 'shut up shop'.

Reminded me of a bloke in a pub in the way that he was pushing his face close and exagerated in his body language as he told a story. If his story wasnt so interesting you would be looking to escape. Especially when he starts talking about the game stopped offering challenges.

I would say that Gatto has landed quite a few on him in their sparring duels and Rene should check to see if Gatto hasnt put a bullet in his head.

Bloody great show though. Mike is very good. Shows Bruce McAvaney how you can ask the hard questions but still maintain friendly demeanour.

Last edited:
I was suprised that Ricky McLean got a gig. Would have been of interest to probably only Richmond supporters in their fifties (no I am not one) as he really didnt set the world apart as a player.

Agree on Pert being a bit boring. Very good player but nothing really interesting.

Thought that the tribute to the late robbie flower was very well done by mike! Think robbie's death shocked just about everyone who had the chance to see him play

Rene Kink was a strange one but compelling.

Really odd for a player to feel he has done enough when he is going well and then to 'shut up shop'.

Reminded me of a bloke in a pub in the way that he was pushing his face close and exagerated in his body language as he told a story. If his story wasnt so interesting you would be looking to escape. Especially when he starts talking about the game stopped offering challenges.

I would say that Gatto has landed quite a few on him in their sparring duels and Rene should check to see if Gatto hasnt put a bullet in his head.

Bloody great show though. Mike is very good. Shows Bruce McAvaney how you can ask the hard questions but still maintain friendly demeanour.
How aggressive was Kinky ? Bloody hell !! I can see his annoyance with sheedy though, he burnt many bridges. Fallout from being ruthless I s'pose.

Really enjoyed the re-run of the Neil Kerley episode. Seriously tough bastard - Knuckles Kerley. He would have been a sensation in the VFL, whether as a player or a coach.

He admitted he now regrets not making the move. Especially when given the opportunity to coach South Melbourne.

The only criticism I have of Open Mike is how Victorian centric it is. Be great if Mike could seek out a few more interstate guests like Kerley & Graham Cornes (his candidness regarding the Tony McGuinness affair was fascinating).

Another solid year for Open Mike.

Best episode: Stoneham
Favourite episode: Barnes
Worst episode: Pert
Most fun personality: Couch
Funniest voice: Neitz
Most necessary episode: Voss
Most unnecessary episode: Ricky Nixon/McCartney
Most flippant/grouchy: Tuddenham
Guest who surpised me: Mal Michael (spoke very well)
I want aware he did one with Barry Stoneham, will have to look it up

From a cats perspective I'd like to see him do Buddha Hocking and Ablett Snr

I think Fox would have to throw big bikkies at Ablett before he did a sit down and with Hocking still involved with Port I doubt he'd appear or if he were to agree to be interviewed whether he'd be particularly forthcoming.

The best interviews I think are with those no longer actively involved with clubs.

I think Fox would have to throw big bikkies at Ablett before he did a sit down and with Hocking still involved with Port I doubt he'd appear or if he were to agree to be interviewed whether he'd be particularly forthcoming.

The best interviews I think are with those no longer actively involved with clubs.
I'd just like to hear what went bad between the club and Hocking at the end of his time at Geelong, but I agree it would be better with him having no current attachment to any club

Jake King needs to (and I think will) do it. Rookie listed, given no chance but made it, never had the most talent but became a cult hero. He'd have some stories to tell.

Would be interested to hear him speak on the latter days of the Terry Wallace era. Seem to recall him being instrumental in a player revolt against the coach, with many people thinking it wasn't his place, because he was "just a battler", and not one of the stars of the team.

Not Barry Stoneham, it was ex Footscray and Essendon player Alan Stoneham.

It was a brilliant episode. Perfectly touched on both his on-field/off-field successes and failures in such a frank and open manner.

Not Barry Stoneham, it was ex Footscray and Essendon player Alan Stoneham.

It was a brilliant episode. Perfectly touched on both his on-field/off-field successes and failures in such a frank and open manner.
Ahh well that would be why I wasn't aware of it....

Maybe they should do Barry Stoneham as well!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back