Premiership captain
Starting in coaching
Almost getting sacked
Premiership
Leaving Geelong suddenly to go back to Essendon and rebuild with Hirdy
ASADA
Coaching 2014
Leaving Essendon

The one with Bomber definitely sounds promising, but is it all a bit too soon? There's some bloody interesting stuff to explore, but if he still has ambitions to go back to coaching I would imagine he would be fairly guarded in what he has to say.

I'm going to buck the trend and say I enjoyed hearing from the first ever Hawthorn premiership captain given that it marked one of the major turning points in footy history considering what Hawthorn achieved before and after.

It's maybe not within the strict remit of the show but something that interests me is that before the (mid/late?) 90s, most, if not all players combined footy with a full time job and it would be nice to know what they did but maybe that's a bit boring for an audience steeped in footy.

Calling it now, Bomber's open mike will be the best one ever. Overtaking Neil Kerly's and Jonathan Brown's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one with Bomber definitely sounds promising, but is it all a bit too soon? There's some bloody interesting stuff to explore, but if he still has ambitions to go back to coaching I would imagine he would be fairly guarded in what he has to say.

agreed. I think bomber would have been best left for another 2-3 years until he has really had the time to stew on things and really tee-off when he gets on.

For example, his rift with GAJ in his last season. Whats the bet he glosses over it and says "it was just the team role" etc. He'll say some bollocks about he doesn't "hold any grudges" (even though bomber is the kind of guy who does).

Having been to a Carey sportsman night, he was pretty adamant he wouldn't go on a show like Open Mike given every question Mike would ask him he has already answered elsewhere. And he said he had asked Mike what new questions he could ask and Mike was stumped.

Carey's book is pretty good - not sure Mike would add that much more to it tbh.

That hit on McKenna by the Carlton player was brutal too. My video chose to stop working at the exact moment McKenna was horizontal with the ground. Scary stuff.

honestly reckon that is the biggest hit i've ever seen at afl level. Bigger than Pickett. Spalding came through like an absolute freight train and he is a big guy.

The only one that comes close is the Voss hit on the Collingwood bloke.

agreed. I think bomber would have been best left for another 2-3 years until he has really had the time to stew on things and really tee-off when he gets on.

For example, his rift with GAJ in his last season. Whats the bet he glosses over it and says "it was just the team role" etc. He'll say some bollocks about he doesn't "hold any grudges" (even though bomber is the kind of guy who does).
I agree with the bolded. Even watching him on 360 this week it seems like it's all too raw. He said a bit about Gaz as well. I'd prefer he waited a while to do something like this but I'm sure Mike has his reasons for wanting it to happen sooner.

Carey's book is pretty good - not sure Mike would add that much more to it tbh.

honestly reckon that is the biggest hit i've ever seen at afl level. Bigger than Pickett. Spalding came through like an absolute freight train and he is a big guy.

The only one that comes close is the Voss hit on the Collingwood bloke.
It was Alan Richardson incidentally, it's apparently partly why he speaks out of the side of his mouth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back