FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish Mike would stop trying to put words into his mouth. Doing my head in. Bomber speaking well, but it's pretty disrespectful that Mike couldn't start with his career and flags at geelong.

Loves shifting blame.

It was Hird and Dank.

Cooky fell out with me, I didn't fall out with him.

Yeah that's the feeling I got. The 'mate' he had dinner with when the Essendon reunion was on seemed very made up on the spot.

I don't mind the guy but sometimes it's good just to admit mistakes, they make the best interviews. It's amazing the shitstorm at the Bombers happened if no one did anything wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. He was an assistant under Pagan for a while, hence why he was so good as a coach ;)
He was there for our 99 flag, then left shortly after when he got the offer to coach Geelong.

Yeah i know , asst at essendon too under sheedy from memory too before or after north i cant remember

Just saw the preview for Bomber next week, looks very good. Says he's bitter and he regrets going back to Essendon.
He said he was bitter at the way he has been portrayed.
Way too much time spent in the wrong areas. Not enough on his playing career or the premierships at Geelong. In fact, spent more time on the GF he lost.
Was always going to be that way. That's why it would have been a better episode in a year or two. Nothing about how he got into footy, his family and his playing career was a footnote at the end. Crap effort from Mike but not unexpected. Also thought it was funny how Mike seemed more interested in his questions than Bomber's answers because he rarley got the answer he was so desperately hoping for.

Only watched the first segment but seems a fairly staunch defence of the club and its people. So no doubt will be derided and mocked by all those hoping for something different.

Hope it isn't all about the ASADA stuff though. 3 time premiership player, premiership captain, coaches at 3 clubs. Lots more to talk about.

Only watched the first segment but seems a fairly staunch defence of the club and its people. So no doubt will be derided and mocked by all those hoping for something different.

Hope it isn't all about the ASADA stuff though. 3 time premiership player, premiership captain, coaches at 3 clubs. Lots more to talk about.
Didn't really come across that way at all. He threw more people under the bus than I expected.

Bomber was a little too humble in respect to his assessment of himself as a player. He reckons he was an average player who got the best out of himself.

Anyone who saw Mark Thompson play as a junior for Airport West would know he was destined to be better than average. He won the EDFL U/17A comp B&F in 1980 & Essendon couldn't recruit him quick enough. He stood out as a gun player throughout his junior days in the EDFL. He made his Essendon senior debut in 1983 as a 19yo. No argument about maximising his potential, & not mercurial like Tim Watson, however he was well above average in terms of natural footy nous & talent. Not a brilliant or explosive player in terms of winning games off his own boot, but a fair dinkum footballer who knew how to get the ball & had the natural poise & confidence to not waste it.

Whilst he did open up a bit, I reckon it was a bit too soon in the wake of the drugs issue for him to really speak out....... without the fear of any 'industry ramifications'.

Enjoyable all the same and was interesting throughout.

Last edited:
I like Bomber Thompson and have great respect for him, what he has done as a player and coach.

However, there is no point going on these shows when you don't tell the truth. Him and Hird aren't mates anymore, him and Cook aren't mates anymore - so to say everything is fine with those blokes is a bit of denial. Thought he danced around quite a few things and probably couldn't tell the truth for legal reasons in regard to all the ASADA stuff.

Wish there had of been more positive stuff about the Geelong 07 and 09 premierships and more Q's on the players he loved during that time and why they were so good.

Yeah I was disappointed, he said alot without saying anything. I would have preferred more of a look at him as a player and then building up the Geelong list etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back