FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched it.
I don't agree with the criticisms of Sheehan's interviewing technique on this occasion. I thought he got it right.
Maybe in a few years time he can do another one that focuses on his playing and coaching career, but right now the most important (and enjoyable to listen to) line of questioning is the ASADA stuff and the fallout at Essendon.
Bomber comes across as quite a shy and insecure person.

I agree and for a one hour show like this, the interview probably would have lasted double that and the editors would have left out the least interesting aspects of the interview.

his reason for not attending the reunion was really odd.

basically they stuffed up and didn't send him an invite. They all rushed to send him one but he didn't attend because he thought they didn't want him there.

really odd. Didn't expect to see a guy so flawed as Bomber.
It's pretty obvious he got the invite but just didn't respond. His body language while answering all of that gave it all away. I doubt there was a 'friend' who he went to dinner with either.

I agree and for a one hour show like this, the interview probably would have lasted double that and the editors would have left out the least interesting aspects of the interview.
Bomber said that he was with Mike for an hour and that pretty much everything that was said, went in the show.

PS is the worst interview still the Gary Pert one in everyone's opinion?

I thought the Royce Hart one was pretty dull and uninteresting.

I'm not expecting shock and scandal, but you assume the point of these interviews is to uncover and learn something that has not yet been documented about a person and a player. Sometimes great footballers just don't have a particularly interesting story.

I still think the holy grail will be getting Ablett Snr or Plugger on. Would like to see Mike track down Robbie Muir and Allen Jakovich too.

The Royce Hart interview was a million times better than the Pert one, not that it's Pert's fault really, it's just that he had to toe the company line too much and give out bland answers that wouldn't prove to be in any way controversial.

found the bomber interview very underwhelming, apart from totally overlooking his playing days and more talk about the geelong golden era he didn't seem to give Mike much to work with anyway.

Open Mike is a brilliant show but I agree with those saying the interview with Bomber Thompson was underwhelming. Most of it was based on the Essendon's supplement saga more than anything else and we hardly got to hear his thoughts about his playing days with the Bombers and then his very successful coaching career at Geelong.

Bomber has always come across as an odd character and he didn't seem to give Mike straight answers to difficult questions. I wish we knew more about the internal review that took place with Geelong at the end of 2006. It could have provided very honest and hard-hitting insight about what was going on with Geelong at the time and how they managed to turn it around so quickly in 2007.

Overall Open Mike is proving to be one of my favourite footy shows that I tune into weekly these days whenever I can!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you were to have a choice of watching either a) 'Open Mike' on Fox Footy; 'b) '30 for 30' on ESPN; or c) 'John Tapp's Inside Racing' on SKY Racing, which one would you choose to watch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you were to have a choice of watching either a) 'Open Mike' on Fox Footy; 'b) '30 for 30' on ESPN; or c) 'John Tapp's Inside Racing' on SKY Racing, which one would you choose to watch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
30 for 30 all day for me.

Leon Baker is on next Monday.

Great player and a bit of a free spirit. Should be fascinating.

Two premierships with Swan Districts under John Todd and two with The Bombers under Sheedy.

Can see how this plays out.

Mike - " You started playing in the VFL in 1984 at the age of 28. Why did you take up footy at such a late age ? "

most enjoying for me have been Paul Couch and Neil Kerley, would of watched both atleast 5 times.
I agree with Kerley. His stands out for me.

Denis Pagen's is up there too.

Two premierships with Swan Districts under John Todd and two with The Bombers under Sheedy.

Mike - " You started playing in the VFL in 1984 at the age of 28. Why did you take up footy at such a late age ? "

Does Mike realise not everything centres around the VAFA/VFA/VFL/AFL?

Yup

Says here you played in the WAFFLE isn't that a food?

Personally I enjoyed the Sam Newman one a lot.
personally, found it one of the worst of the lot. it was like he had pre-determined many of his stock answers whatever the question was and went into his smart arse persona. much better when he drops that schtick and just talks about footy without the need for constant one-liners and glib answers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back