FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to live on Withers St in Albert Park. Wife and I used to stroll to VicAsia on Victoria Ave for Yum Cha every other Sunday, especially in Summer.

Walked in one paticularly hot day, wearing a "dress singlet" (nice pattern, not a wife beater etc) and shorts and my GWS New Era cap.

Wifey was in short shorts and a singlet too. Sat at our table near-ish the front of the restaurant and as we walked in saw Elliottat the back of the restaurant in a blazer and trousers. Didn't pay him no mind.

Anyway, he gets a phone call and starts to exit the restaurant. Stops as he gets to my table and says, "You're a disgrace" I assumed it was to the person on the phone, but he pointed at me and said, "You! You're a disgrace! Wearing a singlet to a restaurant. What happened to manners and decorum?"

Without even blinking I shot back, "John. The day that I take lessons in decorum from an alleged white collar criminal, salary cap cheating, red wine skoling Alcoholic is the day I take lessons in morality from a Ping Pong Show Proprietor in Thailand"

The couple a few tables up absolutely burst in to laughter, so did the restaurant manager. Turns out they were Bombers fans and bought me and wifey a nice bottle of Sav Blanc.
That's a cool story but I'm still not sure I've ever seen a "dress singlet" nice pattern or otherwise. :thumbsu:

Looks like Elliott got the better of the exchange.

Anyway, he gets a phone call and starts to exit the restaurant. Stops as he gets to my table and says, "You're a disgrace" I assumed it was to the person on the phone, but he pointed at me and said, "You! You're a disgrace! Wearing a singlet to a restaurant. What happened to manners and decorum?"

Without even blinking I shot back, "John. The day that I take lessons in decorum from an alleged white collar criminal, salary cap cheating, red wine skoling Alcoholic is the day I take lessons in morality from a Ping Pong Show Proprietor in Thailand"

The couple a few tables up absolutely burst in to laughter, so did the restaurant manager. Turns out they were Bombers fans and bought me and wifey a nice bottle of Sav Blanc.

LOL. Cool story bro... and the jerk store called.. their running out of you!

This sounds like one of those what I should have said stories.

It's a Chinese Yum Cha joint.

It was a restaurant in your first post.

Sorry but I don't wanna see someones arm pit whilst eating.

My guess is either

a) none of this ever happened

b) it did happen but wasn't in Albert Park, you didn't reply saying that and the couple on the next table gave you nothing or a VB at most

c) it all did happen and you were still 100% in the wrong for wearing a singlet and a hat to a restaurant in Albert Park.

How was the Sav Blanc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a restaurant in your first post.

Sorry but I don't wanna see someones arm pit whilst eating.

My guess is either

a) none of this ever happened

b) it did happen but wasn't in Albert Park, you didn't reply saying that and the couple on the next table gave you nothing or a VB at most

c) it all did happen and you were still 100% in the wrong for wearing a singlet and a hat to a restaurant in Albert Park.

How was the Sav Blanc?

Check the first post again mate. I gave the restaurant name, and address.

Check the first post again mate. I gave the restaurant name, and address.

2u5x8o2.jpg

Really the singlet type of place?

I only just caught up with the Gavin Brown one, I quite liked it. I found it quite interesting, although perhaps that's because I'd learned a lot about him already through Leigh Matthew's book Accept the Challenge (which I'd recommend that to anyone). The bit I especially liked was twhere he talked about courage and attack on the footy being a learned art rather than something you're born with. Perhaps the media can perpetuate the stereotype that courageous guys are madmen around the clock ("competitive beasts"), whereas for a lot it's probably an ongoing process that can be worked on like many other skills.

I also liked his views on the bump. It's something that should be considered when one of these controversial damage-causing bump happens we talk about a big guys "clearing space" and imposing themselves, that's ok but unquestionably the guy with more courage is the guy that commits to the ball first. Not saying they should be suspension-worthy, but essentially it is more difficult to get the ball than it is to wait and then tackle or bump, so the guys who gets or is going to the ball first should get the protection.

He was a favourite of mine in his day, so versatile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back