Analysis Open Training Discussion 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Toumpas was a flier last summer too, everyone had him primed for a huge breakout. Nothing has been said so far this preseason that wasn't said last summer. Taking it all with a grain of salt. That being said the injuries did come to bite him a bit once the season started, so maybe if he can stay healthy his preseason will translate into AFL performances.

The injuries got him in the pre-season, I remember him getting injured in one of the practice matches.

Agree with you on this. Yet to get the best out of himself because of confidence.

I think McCartney's best product will be Toumpas. Toump came to the club with huge potential, but major injuries killed any confidence.

Also, I think he will develop to be an very good linking player, may not have the speed to play wide outside; but his kicking is good and he can link Jones, Viney, Brayshaw and Tyson (who will get the ball) and he'll dish it out to Stetch, Vince, Kent and JKH.

Always have hope for Toump. Shocking 2014 with injuries and illness.
McCartney wanted Toump ahead of Macrae/Stringer too, IIRC. Hopefully that bodes well for their partnership!

Went down to watch some training at Gosch's Paddock this morning. I will provide some special comments to go with tasmanlvr's customary full write-up.

- Very good numbers on the track. Spencer was walking laps and Trengove has his funny bike thing, but other than that there were maybe 8-10 in restricted training/load management. These included Watts, Stretch, Kent, Howe, McKenzie, Riley and a few more. No sign of Fitzpatrick now that I think about it.
- Really encouraging was seeing Gawn in the main group at this time of year. That hasn't happened often for him in the past I feel. His field kicking on the run does not inspire much confidence, but he won't need to do that often in games.
- Hogan and Dawes both in full training.
- Jamar has slimmed down quite a bit as others have said.
- Frost is a big unit. Look out. Can kick the ball too it seems.
- All the other draftees did the majority of the session with the main group - you could see a bit of a fitness gap later in the session, but it's a good sign that they're close to the pace.
- Newton looks a lot like Tyson... that will confuse a few.
- Toumpas looks to be moving well... I think. He has that weird running style so it's kind of hard to tell. His feet move quickly but he seems to labour in the hips and upper body. In any case he trained well - high intensity and good kicking skills. He doesn't seem to have put on a lot of size - I suspect they are trying to get him up and playing good footy before trying to bulk him up more.
- Grimes and Pedersen were a little disappointing early with their skill execution.
- Viney and Salem did the first main drill and then moved into some goal-kicking technique with Goodwin in the pocket in front of us. Viney was trying to get more momentum in his run-up and through the kick.
- the first full-ground drill was quite pleasing. It was conducted at a high intensity, complete with sprints between sections of the actual drill itself. Skills were pretty good on the whole, and the ball movement was nice and quick.
- after a bit of a break filled with some random skill work and the departure of a few numbers, the second full-ground drill was quite disappointing IMO. I'll put it down to fatigue as conditions were otherwise perfect, but there were a lot of skill errors and some seemingly strange link-up choices/decision-making on the handball. This was particularly so in the defensive goal-square at the 'start' of the drill - worryingly reminiscent of 2008-09 Baileyball. Clearly execution under pressure and fatigue needs to still improve massively.

That's about it for me I think.

- Newton looks a lot like Tyson... that will confuse a few.
Doesn't have the hair. https://twitter.com/DomTysonsHair

WRT Baileyball I always felt like it was good game plan just lacking in any defensive accountability. That seems to have been drilled into the playing group pretty well so far, so hopefully it's just a matter of the coaching staff starting from the offensive extreme and then reintroducing the natural defensive elements part by part whilst gradually improving them as well.

Doesn't have the hair. https://twitter.com/DomTysonsHair

WRT Baileyball I always felt like it was good game plan just lacking in any defensive accountability. That seems to have been drilled into the playing group pretty well so far, so hopefully it's just a matter of the coaching staff starting from the offensive extreme and then reintroducing the natural defensive elements part by part whilst gradually improving them as well.
When I said Baileyball I was talking specifically about the tendency to handball around in circles in the backline, selling flat-footed teammates into trouble. Nothing wrong with running it out of defence like that, but this drill today lacked a lot of polish.

Was a real meh session, I'm not gonna lie. It almost generally is when the boys are pushing until 1:30 on Mondays so Wednesday's are lighter. Good to see the Captain going around. :thumbsu:

Getting to training at a reasonable time is now considered a challenge to me. For one, Melbourne keep changing the time they actually go out to up to half an hour AFTER they are SCHEDULED to come out (at 9:15), which makes me ponder what train I should reasonably expect to catch, public transport plans and the like. This particular morning, my target is the 8:19 Flinders Street from South Morang, a task made more difficult by the fact I get up at 7:30 and reasonably expect to take 20 minutes to get ready.
So with that, I decide to take the bike - with pretty suspect psi levels on my tyres. I make it with a few minutes to spare. Yisssssss.
Okey. Get there, boys get there soon after. It's a nice life. They're out a bit early today - "early" being 9:30 this time round.
As it is, walk around the track as always. Well, most of them. Few hanging around not doing much, few handballs here and there and as well as that you have a few chatting to Trenners who's still on the scooter. Wouldn't mind seeing Trenners play on the scooter actually, it'd be fun to watch him scoot by a number of blokes. Hard balls would be an issue, kicking probably would be as well.
Rehab group is rather large today which is concerning however one positive is Gawn is out of it. Who's in... Watts, Terlich, Riley, Trengove, Stretch, McKenzie, Kent.
Billy Stretches to start. I imagine like last Wednesday this will be rather light, but we'll find out ay.
Throughout the session there is a MASSIVELY annoying fly circling me. Like c'mon y u do dis. Pretty fly for a white guy? Hope not.
Short 15m kicks, you know, the usual.
Bit of a different variant or a well known drill, lot of fast movement in this one, kick inside 50 and goal then a switch in play. At random points they'll full sprint the edge of the square and back and then continue with the drill.
What we have now is this variant switch drill thing which is progressing rather slowly. I'm confused. On the sideline Salem and Viney are having shots at goal on the boundary.
Boys go for a short sprint, in the meantime Hogan and King are buggering off. More contact work now, bit of ball skills in terms of picking it up under pressure.
A bit of a variant on the switch drill before but there's a contest on the wing involving Roos - yep Roos - and the old bloke still has it (kinda), almost beating Garland in a contest. Skills are pretty ordinary actually.
Goalkicking drill, kick down the line, switch, run in, kick the goal from 25.
Okay there's this drill now where you have a bloke with the footy and another pressuring him. Jonesy is screaming like a caveman but that's the extent of the voices basically.
Most of the boys finish up, though Lumumba and Harmes are still out there pushing hard.

The 27 degree day I was half expecting upon arrival was replaced by rather overcast conditions - for now. Hopefully the decision to do shorts, t-shirt and glasses pays off sometime soon. In fact, my infinite wisdom gets me here early, so I do a couple of things. Play around with the synth keyboard I downloaded (a lot of fun - I'm trying to do the end bit to The Days by Avicii with some success) and I also embark on watching one of the better cartoons I've seen - Happy Tree Friends. Always good for a laugh - but don't show the kids. ;)
ANYYYYYYYYYYYWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, less cartoon characters more football. It's the last week of training for 2014. Also sadly, the last time Melbourne trains at Gosch's for a while after this week when the tournament advertised as one of the world's biggest when it has absolutely NOTHING compared to the Euro's, UEFA Champions League, heck even the Europa League comes to town. Woohoo.
The boys come over at around 9:30. The exercise bikes are out.
You know the deal. One lap walk around the oval, and then when training 'officially' starts, a running lap. Set of Billy's as always.
Rehab: Terlich, Stretch, Watts, Riley, Vince, Vandenberg, Trengove (with trusty scooter in tow - doing ball work), Spencer joins the later.
Group runs past. The real joy here is seeing Oscar McDonald have so much zinc on his face he almost looks like Homer Simpson (awaiting a fake Brian McQueen ID)
Running groups now (five minutes continuous?) Tom McDonald up the front in his group (unsurprisingly), and none other than Jesse Hogan killing it in his group, with ANB an impressive performer in the latter group.
Second running groups. Dawes is leading his group (which has blokes like Brayshaw and Vince in there) while Mitch White leads the other group, but the real impressive performer is Gawn who's second. Pedersen runs past with extremely shiny new fluoro green kicks.
Petracca looks a little fitter than he was when he came over. Stamina looks a little better but there's so much upside still to come. It's evident in his second run, when he fades badly over the last few metres. No big concern at all, IMO, he's only been building his stamina for a year, enough to play midfield this year in the TAC Cup but not at AFL level yet. Therefore he will spend plenty of time forward in 2015.
Big Hoges' is dominating his running group. It's not like he has a few slouchers with him - Lumumba, McKenzie, ANB, Newton in the group.
Ball skills now. It's also getting extremely warm just as a predicted.
First up we have a clearance drill which also has a distinct focus on how we move the ball out of the stoppage. So lots of handballs, a few kicks as well.
Meantime up the other end you have a couple of forwards in contests, so for example Frost, King and Oscar Mc might defend at various times against Dawes, Fitzy or Gawn. JKH and Hogan are marking targets up the other end by the looks.
What we have now is a proper centre clearance drill with three teams, one on the sidelines. No bibs and green are up first, straight off the bat, Jack Viney with a clearance out the middle. Now that would be a great start to 2015. The draftees are sitting out this one.
Ball goes out near me, decision is made to nonchalantly pick it up with the one hand, handball it over. I do these things, well, because.
Hoges' also did something that I would do. You know how you pick the ball up, spin, then pretend your sidestepping a few blokes? Well he does that, and then in what was a picture perfect impersonation of me absolutely shanks it. That is EXACTLY what I would do.
Hoges' then does something I would also do, when I'm on song (okay, maybe not). He latches on to a pass from Dawes, but instead of taking it with his hands, just boots it mid-air from 35 out, soccer style. Doesn't celebrate as if he's just scored the winner of the World Cup final, but then again, it was still a better goal than the winner Mario Götze scored in Brazil.
Full grounder now and this is kinda similar to the clearance drill except it starts from the backline, lots of handballs and a few kicks. This goes for a while and sees various utilisations, including a similar drill but starting with a stoppage.
Full ground diamond drill now, couple of handballs, kick inside 50, then it's basically in one way out the other. Good to see Jeffy backing his pace. Also good to see big Gawn dog breaking lines, he's been impressive this pre season so far.
There's a few dropped marks in these full ground drills as well which is really disappointing. Not only that many of them are dollies that should be taken.
After that, there's a full ground simulation drill focusing on ball movement and the ability to keep it away from the opposition while moving it as quickly as we can, which has been the focus for a long time under Roos. Skills are alright.
A few players leave but the majority of the midfielders continue to do clerance work, before training finishes.

Despite not being registered, I sometimes check D'land's training reports. There's a guy there called Saty who talks to the players a lot, takes photos and provides some info.

If any of you are familiar, you'd know what his training reports are like, someone on D'land made an attempt today at replicating one of Saty's reports and I have to say it's close to the funniest thing I've ever read.

"I was down there for an hour.

Talked to Salem about what moisturising cream he uses, told me it's Palmolive and he let me rub some on his arm. Going to be a big year for him.

Also took the time to speak to Dom Tyson, asked him what underwear he is wearing, he laughed about it and was a good sport by posing for pictures in just his underwear. I think he wears Bonds but I got a little dizzy.

Big Maxy Gawn was looking the goods too now he has lost the beard, I was interested in what he used to shave it off but he didn't tell me. I asked 5 other trainers about it but they all gave me different answers, so just leave it alone please.

I also spoke to Nathan Jones and asked him where he lived so I could visit his new baby. When he got angry I pretended to be joking but don't worry fellas, I'll get it in time. Got the little one a present for Xmas so I'll speak to him on Wednesday.

Everyone else ran the 2km trial round the tan in 20 seconds, everyone looking absolutely sensational!

Photos on my twitter @justtakingthepissdon'tgetallhuffysaty"

Last edited:
There's a few dropped marks in these full ground drills as well which is really disappointing. Not only that many of them are dollies that should be taken.

I went last Friday and counted 6 dropped marks in a 30 minute block - all were simple and under no pressure: Nathan Jones, Garlett, Tom McDonald, Harmes, can't remember the other 2.

I don't want to overplay it, but it annoyed me greatly.

I went last Friday and counted 6 dropped marks in a 30 minute block - all were simple and under no pressure: Nathan Jones, Garlett, Tom McDonald, Harmes, can't remember the other 2.

I don't want to overplay it, but it annoyed me greatly.

I am sure Hawthorn's players drop simple chest marks at training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to bud in guys, but jeezus Billy Stretch looks ripped in that photo. He played at my junior club and I can tell you you've got a ripper player on your hands. Will play 200 games for you.
He does look pretty good for a draftee - I think mostly because he has very little fat. Needs plenty more size before he will impact much at AFL level IMO but he does look a likely type.

Midfielder Jack Trengove is now out of a cast after undergoing surgery to repair a navicular injury in October.

"He has moved into the [moon] boot and he will start doing some light load training," Trengove said.
Appears Trengove has started talking about himself in the third person. I'm surprised tbh, thought that would be more of a Lumumba trait.

Has anybody ever been to many (or any) opposition club sessions? Would be interesting to compare our intensity/drills with another club. I've no doubt we've improved but I wonder what sort of standard we're at.
I saw the saints under either Lyon or thommo, looked slow, missed their fair share etc... Just looked like training.

Has anybody ever been to many (or any) opposition club sessions? Would be interesting to compare our intensity/drills with another club. I've no doubt we've improved but I wonder what sort of standard we're at.
Mean level of skills is probably about the same. It's when we're under match pressure that we really crumble. Intensity I'd imagine would be where we are really lacking in a training sense.

Okay so today I didn't expect a full session so pardon me if the report kinda looks like I'm mostly taking the piss.

"Aaaaaaaah. I love these lazy Saturdays."
"It's Wednesday, Homer."
And with that, that's my summary of what I did in getting ready to head off to training. Slept in a tad but not under as much panic as one Homer J Simpson, in fact I got the train I set myself up for after getting up. What I know is that this WON'T be the full length training session we generally get, mainly because it's Wednesday and we know that the boys give it just about everything on Mondays, although I could be mistaken. So the protocol here today is - if there's not much to report on, make it as entertaining as possible. There's two training sessions left, please let me get away with a bit of banter if that's alright.
However, I must also make a serious note on the Sydney situation. Two innocent civilians. It's a tragic, tragic loss far beyond the realms of what you could imagine for the friends and families of the deceased. I found out at training on Monday what was going down and honestly, it did question my freedom. It's a reminder that you should enjoy life all the time because you never know what's around the corner for better or for worse. R.I.P.
The boys start off as they would, except they're running the other way around. This is noted by big Maxy Gawn who asks "What the- which way are we going?" Legit. Set of Billy's follow.
Watts is running laps around the oval. He is hampered by a groin issue (which may or may not be the dreaded OP) so he's being carefully managed. Vandenberg, Riley, Stretch and Kent also commence running laps. In the meantime the main group sees Dawes run past everybody to receive a footy inside 50 and kick a goal on the run. GOLAAAAAAAAAAAZOOOOOOOOOO. Never seen the big bloke so up and about.
At around this point the lure of having a drink is extreme, so keeping in mind I won't miss too much I bugger off to the Shell servo across the road to get one. In between, I walk past an apartment block being built across the road. A sign reads: "Due to suspicious activity affecting housing in this area in the period 2012-13, we are trialling a new structure which prevents houses going down in the event of training. Thank you for your co-operation." (okay, maybe not)
When I get back the boys (having done short kicks in between) are doing that drill where you have to handball from one side to another with half the group wearing bibs and putting on defensive pressure.
What happens now is a drill which sees (on one side) kick down the line, short kick inboard, turn around (boys use the term "roll") and deliver inside 50; on the other side you have two short kicks, hands off (first option), short kick, hands off, kick a goal.
New drill now that I haven't seen, covers the whole centre square, and involves ball skills. Meantime in the forward line Hogan and Jamar are duelling. At one point Hoges beats him (it isn't a great kick) but while diving he just sticks the right mitt out and it sticks. I'm trying not to build the excitement for his debut... but...
What we have now is that switch drill where a bloke switches, shorf kick, hands off, deliver inside 50, kick goal. Skills are okay, few errors which could and should be eradicated and a few balls which don't come off the boot particularly well but otherwise it's okay.
Another variant of the switch drill, this time it's a kick down the line, switch, kick the goal. It's all done inside the 50m arc where the majority of the attendance is.
Of the draftees, Gus and Oscar Mc are here, Rack and ANB are not. Stretch was running laps before but I believe he's buggered off.
Frost and Terlich are buggering off now. Viney and McKenzie too. On the exercise bikes are Spencer, Watts, Gawn and by the looks of it, Harmes.
A few are sitting out taking shots at goal, Dawes is, Hunt is, Viv is and Jamar is too - just on Jamar one of his shots goes straight up and down, it's ugly, it's not pretty but it just goes through.
While Dawes is shooting I get a glimpse of his eyes and it says to me that he's rehearsing a situation which is like "Well s**t. The game rests on my boot". He misses. Thankfully it's only training.
Training is almost done, a few still taking shots, midfield group working on stoppages, while Byrnes is doing his own training. Dedication yeah.
I love those blokes that never put time into perfecting their boundary throw-ins (because that's such a necessary skill) instead throwing in a forwards motion. U think ur Nathan Lyon m8, throwing the ball up like you're a tweaker.
Alright, I then bugger off cause a lot of blokes are starting to head off, so in the cafe I am. As I expected, it was a rather light session. One more to go for 2014.

Okay so today I didn't expect a full session so pardon me if the report kinda looks like I'm mostly taking the piss.

"Aaaaaaaah. I love these lazy Saturdays."
"It's Wednesday, Homer."
And with that, that's my summary of what I did in getting ready to head off to training. Slept in a tad but not under as much panic as one Homer J Simpson, in fact I got the train I set myself up for after getting up. What I know is that this WON'T be the full length training session we generally get, mainly because it's Wednesday and we know that the boys give it just about everything on Mondays, although I could be mistaken. So the protocol here today is - if there's not much to report on, make it as entertaining as possible. There's two training sessions left, please let me get away with a bit of banter if that's alright.
However, I must also make a serious note on the Sydney situation. Two innocent civilians. It's a tragic, tragic loss far beyond the realms of what you could imagine for the friends and families of the deceased. I found out at training on Monday what was going down and honestly, it did question my freedom. It's a reminder that you should enjoy life all the time because you never know what's around the corner for better or for worse. R.I.P.
The boys start off as they would, except they're running the other way around. This is noted by big Maxy Gawn who asks "What the- which way are we going?" Legit. Set of Billy's follow.
Watts is running laps around the oval. He is hampered by a groin issue (which may or may not be the dreaded OP) so he's being carefully managed. Vandenberg, Riley, Stretch and Kent also commence running laps. In the meantime the main group sees Dawes run past everybody to receive a footy inside 50 and kick a goal on the run. GOLAAAAAAAAAAAZOOOOOOOOOO. Never seen the big bloke so up and about.
At around this point the lure of having a drink is extreme, so keeping in mind I won't miss too much I bugger off to the Shell servo across the road to get one. In between, I walk past an apartment block being built across the road. A sign reads: "Due to suspicious activity affecting housing in this area in the period 2012-13, we are trialling a new structure which prevents houses going down in the event of training. Thank you for your co-operation." (okay, maybe not)
When I get back the boys (having done short kicks in between) are doing that drill where you have to handball from one side to another with half the group wearing bibs and putting on defensive pressure.
What happens now is a drill which sees (on one side) kick down the line, short kick inboard, turn around (boys use the term "roll") and deliver inside 50; on the other side you have two short kicks, hands off (first option), short kick, hands off, kick a goal.
New drill now that I haven't seen, covers the whole centre square, and involves ball skills. Meantime in the forward line Hogan and Jamar are duelling. At one point Hoges beats him (it isn't a great kick) but while diving he just sticks the right mitt out and it sticks. I'm trying not to build the excitement for his debut... but...
What we have now is that switch drill where a bloke switches, shorf kick, hands off, deliver inside 50, kick goal. Skills are okay, few errors which could and should be eradicated and a few balls which don't come off the boot particularly well but otherwise it's okay.
Another variant of the switch drill, this time it's a kick down the line, switch, kick the goal. It's all done inside the 50m arc where the majority of the attendance is.
Of the draftees, Gus and Oscar Mc are here, Rack and ANB are not. Stretch was running laps before but I believe he's buggered off.
Frost and Terlich are buggering off now. Viney and McKenzie too. On the exercise bikes are Spencer, Watts, Gawn and by the looks of it, Harmes.
A few are sitting out taking shots at goal, Dawes is, Hunt is, Viv is and Jamar is too - just on Jamar one of his shots goes straight up and down, it's ugly, it's not pretty but it just goes through.
While Dawes is shooting I get a glimpse of his eyes and it says to me that he's rehearsing a situation which is like "Well s**t. The game rests on my boot". He misses. Thankfully it's only training.
Training is almost done, a few still taking shots, midfield group working on stoppages, while Byrnes is doing his own training. Dedication yeah.
I love those blokes that never put time into perfecting their boundary throw-ins (because that's such a necessary skill) instead throwing in a forwards motion. U think ur Nathan Lyon m8, throwing the ball up like you're a tweaker.
Alright, I then bugger off cause a lot of blokes are starting to head off, so in the cafe I am. As I expected, it was a rather light session. One more to go for 2014.

Did salem train?
He is just silk

TRAINING REPORT: It's packed at Gosch's, lots of people, Demon Army out, but it's my friends and I as well. That's the way it should be.
I get there a little later today, but the boys are doing a set of Billy's as always so I presume I haven't missed much.
Boys do a few short kicks first up.
A little game sim, clearance, switch, kick inboard, goal.
Woohoo. Santa's coming here now. I'm still waiting for perhaps Eugenue Bouchard, Sally Fitzgibbons, someone like that for Christmas.
A little tackling drill now. Bit of keeping off in a small space, but with severe devensive pressure. Groups of three across the ground.
Another match sim drill, similar to the one on Monday with the drill designed to keep off, kick to the forward, out the other side to the other team. Three teams (no bibs, green, orange) and frequent switches. Hoges and Dawes are up both ends, one out.
One of my favourite bits is seeing Dunny give Harmes no mercy whatsoever and throw him straight to the ground. Wow.
Three groups, defenders doing a tackle drill, forwards doing a kicking/marking/agility drill (of sorts), midfielders doing a clearance drill.
Good to see Rack and Braysh working together as besties, Rack hasn't been his flashiest today, few kicks missing the target.
PRACCY MATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Da Praccy Match
White's defending is poor off the bat. Garlett easy first goal. After a turnover, Viney kicks a second for blue. White's defending is extremely poor. Dawes is getting away from Frost, and Jamar gets away from King. He misses. The boys even move a contest to White's forward line... only for Blue to take it the length of the ground for Jamar to kick a goal.

Thing I notice straight out is the ball movement is quicker and more direct. Pressure isn't fantastic, and I'm not surprised for a praccy, but the fact that ball movement is quicker is fantastic as that was the one gripe I had last season.

This was the case for the first half. I really liked the way the blue side in particular were moving the ball nice and fast, it really cut open the white side (who admittedly had a lower quality side than the blue side which was evident early on with a few changes later on).

The second half, then, was a little disappointing from that perspective. Much of the pizzazz from the first half was gone, and the second half saw the kind of ball movement that we saw last season - the ball movement was a lot more static and it allowed both sides without the ball to be able to get their defensive structures in place. As I said, our ball movement was the biggest gripe I had in Roosy's gameplan last year, as it allowed well-organised teams the chance to get their defense together and it made it much harder to score. When we move the ball quick, as blue did in the first half, it was really good to watch and blokes like Frost as the tall defender was helpless to stop his man from getting on the end of excellent delivery.

A few players I kept an eye on:
-I didn't see Brayshaw and Petracca too much, unsure whether they were playing or not.
-Hogan didn't have too many touches but he did get on the end of a couple and slotted a couple of goals.
-Tyson looked really good
-Newton was hard at it, there were a few things which were a little disappointing, including running into his own teammate in defense which lead to a blue goal.
-Nat Jones was being Nat Jones as usual
-Jamar played forward a bit and served a bit of a reminder of how far Max King has to go, getting away from him with ease.

The boys finished off by doing a bit of running, at this point the very irresistible urge of having a kick of the footy with mates was too good to ignore. What I did see was a lot of continuous running, as well as that drill which saw running across the boundary line a quarter of the way, cut across the ground, run another quarter of the ground and then run the length of the ground. This time around they had a tennis ball in their hands and certain players weren't allowed to run until they had the ball in their hand. Cross, Viney and Bail were impressive in their runs.

After seeing them for a fair while the challenge now is to find a Round One 22. That's something I'll be working on over Christmas for this page. I've already posted a couple of iterations here but I'm going to allow for injuries and blokes who've been largely affected throughout pre-season. Watts is on a limited schedule (running laps), Kent has been on a limited schedule for what seems like forever, Vince starts contact work soon, unsure about Terlich and Vandenberg yet (looking forward to seeing what the latter can bring, however).

That's the first part of training done. :)

TRAINING REPORT: It's packed at Gosch's, lots of people, Demon Army out, but it's my friends and I as well. That's the way it should be.
I get there a little later today, but the boys are doing a set of Billy's as always so I presume I haven't missed much.
Boys do a few short kicks first up.
A little game sim, clearance, switch, kick inboard, goal.
Woohoo. Santa's coming here now. I'm still waiting for perhaps Eugenue Bouchard, Sally Fitzgibbons, someone like that for Christmas.
A little tackling drill now. Bit of keeping off in a small space, but with severe devensive pressure. Groups of three across the ground.
Another match sim drill, similar to the one on Monday with the drill designed to keep off, kick to the forward, out the other side to the other team. Three teams (no bibs, green, orange) and frequent switches. Hoges and Dawes are up both ends, one out.
One of my favourite bits is seeing Dunny give Harmes no mercy whatsoever and throw him straight to the ground. Wow.
Three groups, defenders doing a tackle drill, forwards doing a kicking/marking/agility drill (of sorts), midfielders doing a clearance drill.
Good to see Rack and Braysh working together as besties, Rack hasn't been his flashiest today, few kicks missing the target.
PRACCY MATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Da Praccy Match
White's defending is poor off the bat. Garlett easy first goal. After a turnover, Viney kicks a second for blue. White's defending is extremely poor. Dawes is getting away from Frost, and Jamar gets away from King. He misses. The boys even move a contest to White's forward line... only for Blue to take it the length of the ground for Jamar to kick a goal.

Thing I notice straight out is the ball movement is quicker and more direct. Pressure isn't fantastic, and I'm not surprised for a praccy, but the fact that ball movement is quicker is fantastic as that was the one gripe I had last season.

This was the case for the first half. I really liked the way the blue side in particular were moving the ball nice and fast, it really cut open the white side (who admittedly had a lower quality side than the blue side which was evident early on with a few changes later on).

The second half, then, was a little disappointing from that perspective. Much of the pizzazz from the first half was gone, and the second half saw the kind of ball movement that we saw last season - the ball movement was a lot more static and it allowed both sides without the ball to be able to get their defensive structures in place. As I said, our ball movement was the biggest gripe I had in Roosy's gameplan last year, as it allowed well-organised teams the chance to get their defense together and it made it much harder to score. When we move the ball quick, as blue did in the first half, it was really good to watch and blokes like Frost as the tall defender was helpless to stop his man from getting on the end of excellent delivery.

A few players I kept an eye on:
-I didn't see Brayshaw and Petracca too much, unsure whether they were playing or not.
-Hogan didn't have too many touches but he did get on the end of a couple and slotted a couple of goals.
-Tyson looked really good
-Newton was hard at it, there were a few things which were a little disappointing, including running into his own teammate in defense which lead to a blue goal.
-Nat Jones was being Nat Jones as usual
-Jamar played forward a bit and served a bit of a reminder of how far Max King has to go, getting away from him with ease.

The boys finished off by doing a bit of running, at this point the very irresistible urge of having a kick of the footy with mates was too good to ignore. What I did see was a lot of continuous running, as well as that drill which saw running across the boundary line a quarter of the way, cut across the ground, run another quarter of the ground and then run the length of the ground. This time around they had a tennis ball in their hands and certain players weren't allowed to run until they had the ball in their hand. Cross, Viney and Bail were impressive in their runs.

After seeing them for a fair while the challenge now is to find a Round One 22. That's something I'll be working on over Christmas for this page. I've already posted a couple of iterations here but I'm going to allow for injuries and blokes who've been largely affected throughout pre-season. Watts is on a limited schedule (running laps), Kent has been on a limited schedule for what seems like forever, Vince starts contact work soon, unsure about Terlich and Vandenberg yet (looking forward to seeing what the latter can bring, however).

That's the first part of training done. :)

I wasn't there today, but could the difference in the two halves have been deliberate ? I've noticed they play differently in different drills, which practices the different stages of a game. Sometimes it's free-flowing ball movement at all costs and in others its hit a lead up target with a kick, retain possession, rinse and repeat.

As for you picking a best 22 over Xmas...

I've read on Demonland where some posters are taking way too much notice of today's groups and defining Roos' favourites and preferred choices, etc. That, of course, is abject nonsense. Some players weren't ready to take part, while first year players have been at the club all of 3 weeks and are building throughout the preseason. The real stuff starts in 3.5 months and there will be tonnes of intras and NABs in between. Thins are a mile off being settled.

Thanks for your comprehensive report, as usual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back