Analysis Open Training Discussion 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the club is actually on a training camp in Queensland this week.

The draftees aren't there though - they are going through the AFL induction week thingy.

This to me doesn't make sense. Why go away on a team bonding camp when 7 or 8 of the players can't go? Wouldn't they be best going on a camp when all players are available to go?

This to me doesn't make sense. Why go away on a team bonding camp when 7 or 8 of the players can't go? Wouldn't they be best going on a camp when all players are available to go?

AFL always have induction in Jan. Camp was scheduled because we can't use AAMI Park while the Asian Cup is on.

Plus camp is 10 days, induction is 2 days; I'm sure they'll fly up later this week.

Article in The Age says first year players going up today.

Ok, cool. Was concerned that one fifth of our list won't be a part of the camp.

PS - Is anyone else super impressed by Angus Brayshaw and the way he handles himself with the media etc? Appears we have a genuine leader on our hands here! If he's as confident on the field, the kid will be a massive get for our club!

PS - Is anyone else super impressed by Angus Brayshaw and the way he handles himself with the media etc? Appears we have a genuine leader on our hands here! If he's as confident on the field, the kid will be a massive get for our club!

Its an induction for players new to the AFL, so only Petracca, Brayshaw, ANB, Stretch and McDonald - and perhaps Vandenburg and White fromt he rookie list. Guys like Newton, Frost, Garlett and Lumumba wouldn't need to do it.

Agree. He looks to be a gun on and off the field.

Reading the training analysis it sounds like tasmanlvr has been giving burgo tips how to write more casual training reports

Maybe he's reading them in a stealth manner and has become concerned that I'm fair dinkum about cracking the industry whilst still being able to incorporate Simpsons quotes ;)

Why? It's just a time trial, Bail was an endurance runner so it's no surprise he's up there and Jordie spends every game chasing the hardest running midfielder every game so he's got to be one of the fittest.

They're both s**t at football so a time trial won't save them.
I agree for too long we've players on the list who are good endurance runners but crab footballers. Jordy needs to spend more time on his skills and Bail on his intensity for the contest. I'd be surprised if they can and equally surprised and disappointed if they are on list in 2016.

I agree for too long we've players on the list who are good endurance runners but crab footballers. Jordy needs to spend more time on his skills and Bail on his intensity for the contest. I'd be surprised if they can and equally surprised and disappointed if they are on list in 2016.
Meant to say crap footballers, but come to think of it they do play like crabs going sideways and being timid.

won't be a popular opinion, but i'm starting to see a future for Bail at the Dees. His kicking has improved and he really opens us up in attack with his running and finding space. Maybe Stretch will eventually take his place but I think with another year under Roos he may really start to lock down his position.

Also think Jake Spencer will start to flourish under that same Roos' tutelage. Hes got the man's body now and the aggression to boot. He's gone from completely uncoordinated to only slightly uncoordinated.

Its players like these two we really need to go to the next level if we start to become a decent side again, and I'm optimistic they'll prove a lot of people wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

won't be a popular opinion, but i'm starting to see a future for Bail at the Dees. His kicking has improved and he really opens us up in attack with his running and finding space. Maybe Stretch will eventually take his place but I think with another year under Roos he may really start to lock down his position.

Also think Jake Spencer will start to flourish under that same Roos' tutelage. Hes got the man's body now and the aggression to boot. He's gone from completely uncoordinated to only slightly uncoordinated.

Its players like these two we really need to go to the next level if we start to become a decent side again, and I'm optimistic they'll prove a lot of people wrong.
I agree with you, Bail i think is starting to come into some form, he's not the best or flashy player but he tries hard and has some skills. Also Spencer showed some glimpses of a being a good ruckman although will still need to do some work next year if he is to be competing against Gawn and Jamar for the ruck, but if he continues to improve would be a handy ruckman to have in reserve.

Yeh I reckon Bail has every chance to get another contract.

We won't take many draft picks next year you wouldn't thnk - probably just 3 plus a trade and a free agent or something. Say, 5 changes to the list.

If Bail can improve slightly, again, then he won't have a problem being on the list for 2016/17.

I don't think it's looking bright for Bail. When is his next contract up? Have to consider that the position he plays could equally be filled by any of our high picks in the last few years (Salem, Toumpas, Petracca, Brayshaw), one of the other promising youngsters (Kent, JKH) or possibly Newton, Michie or Riley. There's plenty of competition for spots and he'll be right in the firing line to make way for the next generation.

Bails intensity for the contest is fine , had numerous concussions over the journey that nearly finished him early, his problem is he lacks elite skills and composure, but he tries hard

He's essentially a link man , something that toumpas needs to become

Bails intensity for the contest is fine , had numerous concussions over the journey that nearly finished him early, his problem is he lacks elite skills and composure, but he tries hard

He's essentially a link man , something that toumpas needs to become

Spot on.

With guys like Petracca and Brayshaw coming in to complement Jones and Tyson, hard running link men is what we are in need of in the middle now.

Toumpas, ANB, Newton and JKH are hopefuilly guys who will also play that role - but Bail actually has more runs on the board than any of those guys at this point. Im not saying he's a great player, but I think he has some improvement left to come at least.

Petracca and toumpas and even watts to a degree will hopefully replace him one day
They have the ability to get it semi inside and then burst to the outside before delivering a pass
However Petracca doesn't have the engine and the other two don't have the appetite inside yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back