Analysis Open Training Discussion 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

You shut your whore mouth!

When I was a very young tacker, my Dad took me to a Fosters Cup (NAB challenge) match and I was lucky enough that a friendly old fellow manning the door of the rooms let me go inside.

I walked aroud the lockers asking for autographs of all the players as they changed, and when I got to this skinny looking runt of a kid with a mullet, I pretty much walked past him.

A few of the players nearby beckoned me back and were insistent that I ask for his autograph as he was a young star. I did, and his mum leaned over the group and have him a kiss and said 'oh, you're very first autograph!'.

He blushed and told her to shush up or something to that effect.

Anyway, point being, the beast that evolved over a single pre-season one year was the greatest rate of development I've ever seen.

I'm certain it was all natural of course, and he was just a freak of nature the likes which were never seen outside of Perth in the late 90's.

Last edited:

I thought I'd add a couple more things that came to mind as potentially interesting.

- All the number one rucks played forward for at least 3/4 of the match sim (Spencer, Jamar and Gawn) - there were only about 3 ruck contests in the middle, they did their own contested work later
- Salem and Michie spent significant time off half back in the match sims
- Jamar is looking in great form
- Garlett is seriously quick and so is Sam Frost
- Oscar McDonald is a great size at 197cm and got a couple of good spoils in on much bigger and stronger opponents (Spence and Gawn)

Anyone get to training today guys? tasmanlvr where are you lately?

Also, anyone who questions this board being the best place to talk about the Dees and Footy in general, go over and read today's training thread on Demonland - and bare in mind that a good 2 pages of posts have already been deleted.

Nah wasn't there today, only been able to do Wednesdays lately but hoping to change it towards the start of the NAB Challenge

Also, anyone who questions this board being the best place to talk about the Dees and Footy in general, go over and read today's training thread on Demonland - and bare in mind that a good 2 pages of posts have already been deleted.
Three pages in before training actually gets mentioned? o_O

I'm pretty sure they've cleaned it up even further.

Just terrible over there.
Despite the bickering there are 4 different training reports to read of just today's session. It's pretty easy to proof read and scroll through the drivel.

Seeing as Tasmanlvr can't make Monday sessions, I know what i'll be reading in the meantime.

Does anyone know anecdotally how Col Sylvia used to go in our pre-season time trials?

It's a terrible reflection on Col's current attitude and a poor reflection on our training standards that he wasn't able to complete a 3 km time trial when he first got to Freo, and couldn't complete it properly on his return from his break.

Does anyone know anecdotally how Col Sylvia used to go in our pre-season time trials?

It's a terrible reflection on Col's current attitude and a poor reflection on our training standards that he wasn't able to complete a 3 km time trial when he first got to Freo, and couldn't complete it properly on his return from his break.
It's no reflection on us, he's been with Freo for a year.

That's all on Sylvia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went down for a brief look at training today.

They started at 9:15 and I got there just before 10am and was pretty happy to have walked into a praccy match!

It was a shortened version of about 15 minute quarters, and competitive type drills were underway straight afterwards.

I heard Max Gawn mention to someone that they were scheduled to finish on the track at 2pm this arvo! I'm not sure if he was winding them up, but I wasn't prepared to wait around to find out and left after a couple of competitive drills at around 11:30. Given no-one else has yet reported on training, I suspect they are still there now.

Apologies for not taking down every detail, and not hanging around to talk you all through every drill etc, but here are some things I noticed anyway;

In general, the club looked in excellent hands with each of Roos, McCartney, Rawlings and Goodwin motivating, barking instructions and explaining things to players on the ground - and I liked the feel of competitive drills and the players under constant match simulation.

The playing group really seemed like they were at work, always in discussion with each other about how to approach things, improve and what they should be doing.

The body strength and size of the group is significantly different to previous years. I noticed that even Jayden Hunt had put on some size and now looks every bit a second year AFL footballer.

There was an air of healthy confidence around the group as well. I particularly enjoyed seeing Brayshaw, Hogan and Petracca having a giggle on the sidelines.. just the right touch of arrogance in that little group :thumbsu:

Max Gawn looked excellent at full forward and clunked several marks both deep and leading out to CHF.
Dean Kent impressed me more than anyone. Looking fitter and got plenty of damaging footy - and particularly, stuck several big tackles. Very impressive.
Sam Frost is a beast and plays in a very similar to manner TMac, however his kicking looked poor and will hold him back from going to the next level.
Aaron Vandenburg looked very good in the match work. He is a big, strong midfielder and was always in the play. He looked a genuine senior player.
Lumumba was excellent and showed that burst of speed and line breaking ability off half back/wing. Also good overhead which I hadnt noticed before.
Brayshaw was by far the most impressive of the new kids for me. Got plenty of football and used it very well by foot. Laid some great tackles as well. I'm concerned about my sig bet with Theseventhhamster all of a sudden.
Oscar McDonald showed a few good things. He played forward and presented himself very well. He's going to be a big boy after a couple of preseasons - bigger than his older brother I would suggest.
Matt Jones played very well. Ran very hard and got plenty of footy.
Petracca did a few good things but kicking was a bit weak. Played mostly as a forward pocket and needs fitness.
Mitchel White looked like a 23 year old. He is surprisingly strong through the whole body, but only did some running on the boundary today.

Any questions, fire away but I didn't stay long dont forget.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back