Opening acts you saw that you rated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back in about 2008 I recall going to see Birds of Tokyo for the first time and they were opened by Calling All Cars. Had never heard of them before but their music and energy on stage was just electric.. absolutely loved them after that - until they started writing s**t, boring music.

Support acts are a great way to find new music that you haven't heard before. I make sure I see all support acts at all the gigs I go to. Some really good bands that I have been in to for a while now I found this way. Helm, Ninth of May, Like Thieves (with the original lead singer), Magnets, Dumbsaint, Matador, The Construct, actually I could go on and on. If anyone is interested in stuff that is a bit heavier check out some of the bands I have posted. All amazing bands.

1990 Cheap Trick supporting the Angels

I am terrible with concert dates

I was at that one! The Sydney show anyway, at the Hordern. It was in 1991, at the time of the 1st Gulf War. I remember because Doc Neeson introduced a song by asking the crowd: "There's a war going on. WHO LIKES WAR?"

A few audience members cheered. Doc's response: "You're ******* idiots, then."

Was a great gig. Cheap Trick were awesome, except some Angels fans booed them to get them off.

The only I can think of off the top of my head was when Jon Spencer Blues Explosion toured Australia and brought along Yeah Yeah Yeahs as their opener. They'd released their first single "Bang!" (which is still a killer track), but I knew very little else about them. Put on a fantastic show that almost had as much energy as the Blues Explosion.

I once scoured for a sold out Cradle of Filth ticket just to see local Brisbane bands Dead Letter Opener and 'neath play at the Hifi in 2009.

Walked out on CoF.

I saw Neil Murray supporting Midnight Oil in 1990. I knew he was "the white guy from the Warumpi Band" but hadn't heard any of his stuff. Spent the next month trying to find a copy of his album in record stores all over perth and remain a fan to this day.

A couple of years ago a Perth band called Day of the Dead supported The Break. They play instrumentals and were ******* awesome. I bought their entire catalogue (4 CDs iirc) on the strength of that performance and never regretted it. Not sure if they are still a going concern, but I'd love to see them play again.

I guess BB King with U2 was a good one but I didn't really appreciate it at the time. At the other end of the spectrum, Jay-Z supporting U2 was the biggest pile of s**t I ever had the misfortune to sit through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The John Reed Club!

Late 90's at Adelaide Uni Bar. Were awesome. Never heard of them again. Never been able to find any of their stuff apart from a whopping ONE song on youtube.

Edit - I don't believe it! A new song has been added. This cover has ticked over 24 views.

The John Reed Club!

Late 90's at Adelaide Uni Bar. Were awesome. Never heard of them again. Never been able to find any of their stuff apart from a whopping ONE song on youtube.

Edit - I don't believe it! A new song has been added. This cover has ticked over 24 views.

This is always so interesting to me, I had something similar with Essendon Airport – who seem like Led Zeppelin in comparison. It's sad really, you just feel as though they never existed because the internet makes it appear so. It's like they were in a vacuum and just amounted to nothing. I've always been interested in the way bands end, it's got everything in it, really: death, friends, too many emotions...

Were they just a bunch of students or something?

This is always so interesting to me, I had something similar with Essendon Airport – who seem like Led Zeppelin in comparison. It's sad really, you just feel as though they never existed because the internet makes it appear so. It's like they were in a vacuum and just amounted to nothing. I've always been interested in the way bands end, it's got everything in it, really: death, friends, too many emotions...

I have an Essendon Airport song on a compilation called "Artefacts of Australian Experimental Music" I think there are 2 volumes and I have 1981-1985 or something. They were a good band but I don't know much more about them. I might read the liner notes on the cd and get back to you. I bought the album because it had Adelaide band Purple Vulture s**t on it.

Some weird ****ing s**t on the two discs though.

Some bloke doing Je Taime with train noises and he calles it Je Train.... I really have to dig that out and have a listen and make sure I have my facts straight...

Saw Big Pig open for GANGgajang in the 90s at UWA.

Would've been happy with Big Pig but GANGgajang was the icing on the cake.

Did you want to leave after the opening act but couldn't "breakaway"?

Here is the album.

I had my dates wrong and the song is "Train Je Taime". Like I said, weird s**t some of it.

http://artefacts-aust.blogspot.com.au/2010/08/track-listing-for-artefacts-of.html

Disc A
01 Warren Burt 'Nighthawk, part 3 Bittern' excerpt (1975-6)
02 Ron Nagorcka 'Atom Bomb' excerpt (1977)
03 The Loop Orchestra 'First recording, live to air, the percussion section of the Orchestra' excerpt (1983) - listen to a sample
04 Forced Audience 'Forced Audience' excerpts (1974-5)
05 Ros Bandt 'Variations II (II - flute & synthesiser)' excerpt (1974)
06 Carl Vine 'Block' excerpt (1975) - listen to a sample
07 Paul Turner 'Panels V' (1975) - listen to a sample
08 Tristram Cary 'Soft Walls' excerpt (1980)
09 Asher Bilu & Duncan McGuire 'AMAZE' excerpt (1982)
10 Browning Mummery 'Do the Eyes of the Dead Retain Pictures' (1983) - listen to sample
11 Severed Heads 'Dance' (1980)
12 Ian Hartley 'Train Je Taime' (1981)
13 Kurt Volentine 'Vortex Street' (1983) - listen to a sample

Disc B
01 Essendon Airport 'Do the Flowerpot' (1978)
02 Tsk Tsk Tsk 'Nice Noise Theme' (1979)
03 The Primitive Calculators 'I Can't Stop It' (1979)
04 Purple Vulture s**t 'Do a s**t' (1983)
05 Voigt/465 'F1' (1979) - listen to a sample
06 Signals 'Illuminator & Icebreaker' excerpt (1979) - listen to a sample
07 Ad Hoc 'Blue from Beyond the Sea' excerpt (1980)
08 Rik Rue/Jon Rose/Peter Kelly 'Eating Cabbage' (1978) - listen to a sample
09 Jon Rose/Tony Hobbs 'In Memorian Tony Hobbs' (1978)
10 A+D '(T)D+T' (1980)
11 Justinstinkt 'Drainpipe' (1981) - listen to a sample
12 Arthur Cantrill 'The Second Journey (to Uluru)' excerpt (1981)
13 Les Gilbert 'The Genoa River, Wangerabell' excerpt (1983)
14 IDA 'MeMoMu' (1980)
15 Sarah Hopkins 'Double Whirly Duo' (1983) - listen to a sample

I have an Essendon Airport song on a compilation called "Artefacts of Australian Experimental Music" I think there are 2 volumes and I have 1981-1985 or something. They were a good band but I don't know much more about them. I might read the liner notes on the cd and get back to you. I bought the album because it had Adelaide band Purple Vulture s**t on it.

Some weird ****ing s**t on the two discs though.

Some bloke doing Je Taime with train noises and he calles it Je Train.... I really have to dig that out and have a listen and make sure I have my facts straight...
This is the one I like. The album it's from is on iTunes though

Great little piece of the other side of the ever-popular Aussie post-punk scene

Remove this Banner Ad

Back