Operation Cam McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

mayne iac

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think this needs its own thread, With all the discussion on Alex Rance I think we should be trying a massive deal to get this guy back home and in Freo colours. Maybe not to the extent of the Bulldogs Tom Boyd deal but something similar.
He looks like he is going to be a very very good fwd. The Giants have a s**t load of high end talent and wont be able to afford them all. I think we should get in early and GET McCARTHY!

I'm a GWS member over here and I can tell you that Leon Cameron thinks extremely highly of McCarthy and he seems to love it over here. Would be great for Freo but Definitely can't move for at least 2 years as contracted our ageing bodies might be better off over there after 2 years

It was interesting though that when they had Patton, Cameron and Boyd they were actually saying that his long term future was in the back half, now with the departure of Boyd it has obviously opened the door for him to play forward. Will be hard to get him now with the departure of Boyd and Jaksch.

I think this needs its own thread, With all the discussion on Alex Rance I think we should be trying a massive deal to get this guy back home and in Freo colours. Maybe not to the extent of the Bulldogs Tom Boyd deal but something similar.
He looks like he is going to be a very very good fwd. The Giants have a s**t load of high end talent and wont be able to afford them all. I think we should get in early and GET McCARTHY!

No chance champ, GWS will want fyfe and our 1st pick.

If we go after a forward at the end of this season it will be Aaron Black, being behind Waite in the pecking order could be a good thing for us.

If we go after a forward at the end of this season it will be Aaron Black, being behind Waite in the pecking order could be a good thing for us.

maybe - but Norths forwards had an absolute stinker last week - the more they stink - the more opportunity Black will get as they will move on from the oldies
Right now its looking good but isn't he only 192cm?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe - but Norths forwards had an absolute stinker last week - the more they stink - the more opportunity Black will get as they will move on from the oldies
Right now its looking good but isn't he only 192cm?
Correct, but so is Pav, and the player he reminds me of the most, albeit an inferior version of him, is Jack Gunston, who is only 1 cm taller.
Don't rate him and I'm pretty sure he won't fit in the RTB frame in terms of effort and defensive ability.
Averages 2 tackles a game and is agile for his size, we have gone after him before as well. He'd fit in.

No chance champ, GWS will want fyfe and our 1st pick.

Exactly, only chance he would leave is to be paid over the odds and then who would the Giants want. I recon Freo thouhgt they had him when Giants took Boyd first pick only then to take McCarthy with there second before Freo had a pick.

That's what I reckon too. How long is he contracted for ?
He's contracted til 2017 but he almost requested a trade at the end of 2013 to us and I remember his agent making noises about him being a bit put off about the acquisition of Waite on trade radio last year. If we make a move for a key forward, it will be him IMO.

He's contracted til 2017 but he almost requested a trade at the end of 2013 to us and I remember his agent making noises about him being a bit put off about the acquisition of Waite on trade radio last year. If we make a move for a key forward, it will be him IMO.

Problem is, who do we trade for him.

Exactly, only chance he would leave is to be paid over the odds and then who would the Giants want. I recon Freo thouhgt they had him when Giants took Boyd first pick only then to take McCarthy with there second before Freo had a pick.
The Giants need either a small forward or a tall backman. I could see them going for a Crozier/McCarthy trade, but will we really be winning out of that?

Mason Shaw will be a cheaper option than the two mentioned here. Is he a good enough option is the other question. Jury out on that but probably offers nothing Apeness doesn't.

Problem is, who do we trade for him.
If he doesn't get a run this year, he may be at an attainable price. However I think they'll want something like a player (I could see Crozier leaving at the end of the year if he doesn't get much opportunity) and our first pick, which I'd do if we got their second pick as well. So, something like: Crozier + 1st round pick for Black + 2nd round pick. I'd only do this however if Pav retired and Crozier, or another one of our young Victorians (Sheridan) won't sign a new contract. I'd prefer McCarthy but I just can't see it happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back