Operation Depth Ruck

Which one of these should we take as a depth ruck?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

understand and its not blinkers, you can not just get rid of him after a yr or drop to the rookie list though. Ain't work that way if it did allot more teams would do it, if we take him in the draft he has a 2 yr contract minimum if we boot him at the end of the year all good but remember fev and a few others we will still have to hold his spot the second year and even if we pay him out this year the salary will still be held over in the cap for the following. You can't even trade a player after the first year of contract unless all agree.

If he is on a base of $60k and we sack him and it clears up a spot how out of a $10.1mil salary cap is that a massive issue?? We aren't buying a Fev, we are getting a state league ruckman. As faquito said a few posts above - "Baulderstone turns 24 in a few days so he can be put on a 1 year contract despite being taken in the ND."

I'm happy for 1 rookie next year not ideal but that's what it will be, rookie plus redden at sanfl level atm, with harvey, shaw helping out. I don't want them to get the traditional big man problems, so not in ruck fulltime but a pinch hit be good for development, but i would rather they turn into fwd/rucks than straight out forwards, as we all know gone has the day of a player being 1 dimensional they have to bring more. Seeing we not given up on butch, wouldn't mind seeing him give defence more a crack and maybe pinch hitting in the ruck as well, got to try something with him, its all or nothing this year really for him. Redden will be called on so little next year with lobbe, ryder, trengove and westoff all doing there thing that he will be playing his way back to AFL level properly not rushed.

But there is no guarantee he will be there to rookie. If we need him, then we take him with pick 57. Ryder might not be around. If ASADA haven't finished their stuff by time of the draft, and Ryder still is in limbo why wouldn't you draft Baulderstone or a ready to go ruckman?? Why not? I am assuming we wont have Ryder for a big chunk of time and neither will Redden so in that case, we are back to post rd 10 2014 situation with the players you mention.

If you had a time machine and you could go back 12 months knowing what you know today, would you go back and recruit Baulderstone and Lowden - or an equivalent aged delisted player as Lowden and eliminate 2 of S. Gray, S Russell, Ah Chee, Stevenson, Heath, Hitchcock, or Logan? I bloody would!

We lost a top 4 spot because Jacko got injured and we had no back up for Lobbe. By missing out on a top 4 spot we ended up playing a PF at the MCG not at AO. We therefore probably missed a chance to play in a GF and and maybe pinch a flag.

We had the opportunity to have 5 ruckmen on our list, but we had a fetish for 5 foot 9 to 6 foot fast little blokes and we stuffed up our chances to win a flag. We got what we deserved because we were timid about having too many big blokes and we had 2 big blokes who were injury prone and we crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. I want to eliminate that rubbish.

If gorringe comes the following year and you can't see any other option actually happening for him, think his mind is set on port or nothing or he would of been traded this year. Then it be 4 on main list, 5 if we pick up someone in the draft, but don't think we will ever recruit a future ruck at 18 yrs old and 1 on the rookie list, that is more than enough.

next year is next year. I cant control it neither can the club. things change. worry about it next year. Gorringe could be involved in a car crash and never walk again. Its a waste of time worrying about our 2016 list and what ruckman might come on board then.

It's important we have enough for our AFL team and that's it, can't recruit for our SANFL team on our AFL list as that will just degrade the AFL team, we have list spots at SANFL level to be able to get a ruck in there

Guess what, every year we say somewhere between 3 and 8 players arent good enough to continue playing AFL. Every bloody year. So every year we have marginal AFL players on our list and history will show they arent good enough. every year that will be the case.

What is the fetish with these 5 foot 9 to 6 foot flankers? I just dont get it. They cant ruck when our ruckman go down.

We lost a top 4 spot because Jacko got injured and we had no back up for Lobbe. By missing out on a top 4 spot we ended up playing a PF at the MCG not at AO. We therefore probably missed a chance to play in a GF and and maybe pinch a flag.

Not Foster. Got absolutely toweled up by everybody's favourite future Port player Nick Jackson in an NEAFL game this season despite having 6 years and 7cm on Jackson. We don't need a 25yo project tall.

Nobody does

I am seeing all of these posts that are talking about 18 and 19 year old's that we've never heard of before but might seem good - the problem is, we don't want an 18 year old twig even if he is bloody 250cm... they have no experience. Renouf may have been pretty hopeless in terms of his rucking abilities, but he had the experience of being in a premiership side and he had the ability to compete physically on the day. Remember when he went toe-to-toe with Sandilands earlier this year? I don't remember him winning a single hit out, but just his physical presence and ability to compete was all that we needed to get over the line - that is what you need in ruck depth. Sure, we can recruit a bunch of tall kids, but if Lobbe goes down with a knee, we can't play an 18 year old who hasn't played league football before. It's for these reasons why McKernan may be our best option because he has had some experience at AFL level and he has the physical qualities to compete. If Burgo can fix him up with a tank and Voss gives him the desire to fight and Hinkley gives him the discipline to be committed, he could still end up being a pretty decent ruck because he is only 24 and could still have a career ahead of him.

Sure we could go for Baulderstone or another promising young ruck, but I would prefer to have a more reliable backup ruck than a kid. It also puts too much pressure on the player himself if he has to take a massive work load at such and early stage of his career.

Also, gotta credit my dad u2uabrs for explaining this to me and giving me the idea. I told him to post it but I don't think he did, so credit goes to him ;)

This :thumbsu:

Great post. Your old man knows what he is talking about. We just need a bloke that can compete. Doesnt need to be a developing ruck, doesnt need to be a star. We just need a big body that can compete. I wouldnt be against also drafting a young ruck prospect in addition to a bigger bodied ruck.

So what?? We take a risk - put him on basic salary and we can drop him to the rookie after 12 months or ditch him and pay out his contract if he aint much chop. And you dont know if he wont make it. s**t Lowden has been on the Hawks list clogging it up for 6 years and they have won 2 flags made another GF and a PF.

People have to open their eyes a bit and take the blinkers off. Getting Baulderstone means we have a break in case of emergency ruckman. It means Harvey never has to ruck at SANFL level except for having a pinch hit or we have really bad luck with injuries. That means the risk of Harvey getting a knee driven thru his ribs or spleen or kidney at a centre bounce is greatly reduced.

Do you want Harvey to have no broken ribs or bruised kidneys for a year or two because he doesnt play ruck at SANFL and won't carry those injuries into his AFL career or are you happy to run that risk and not really give a stuff if he gets injured rucking???

I know I'm not happy to run that risk!

I have no problem taking Baulderstone in the National Draft. Our first pick in the National Draft is not until #57 but he should be there at #75. As you post there is no point in taking a punt on a beanpole kid who will take years to develop. I suspect that next year we will have a dead set go at Daniel Gorringe who will be out of contract so getting Baulderstone for a year or two will be sound insurance. Taking a mature ruckman in the drafts is a no brainer it is simply a matter of where we take him.

Orren Stephenson. Only a handful of games over the past 3 yearsso you think body would be sound for an old fella. Would he come over for 1 year as a rookie? Played well against us at Footy Park 2013 when playing for Geelong.

Orren Stephenson. Only a handful of games over the past 3 yearsso you think body would be sound for an old fella. Would he come over for 1 year as a rookie? Played well against us at Footy Park 2013 when playing for Geelong.

Stephenson wouldn't go interstate for a year on a rookie list. I think he has a job paying decent money and he is able to earn good money in a local/country league? He gave full time football a shot but has moved on.

Nothing stands out in the combine list. It looks like a bad year to need a ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephenson wouldn't go interstate for a year on a rookie list. I think he has a job paying decent money and he is able to earn good money in a local/country league? He gave full time football a shot but has moved on.

Nothing stands out in the combine list. It looks like a bad year to need a ruck.

Remember 10 years ago? John Meesen and Cam Wood weren't just considered can't miss ruck prospects for their year, but once in a decade types.

How'd that end?

Ruck potential is so deceptive.

Don't get me wrong, I know he's a spud but is there an chance we could re rookie Brent renouf?

Knows the guys, knows his role, is a professional etc

TBH I'd say that's not outside the realms of possibility.

Back