Operation Depth Ruck

Which one of these should we take as a depth ruck?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

call it blind faith but I think Redden will be AA within two years and have a solid season in 2015

Would be great to see but first year back from a knee is usually just about getting confidence back in the body.

If we need him and he's serviceable I'd call it a win. 2016 though that's another story :)

On the Essendon board they think he is a spud. The Essendon board overrates their players so he must be bad.

I think he is undersized as a ruck man. He plays forward / ruck.

They probably think Ryder is a spud now and they skun us at the trade table.

I did my comprehensive research on Sam Baulderstone by watching the three minute highlights on the Afl sight. It was not what i was expecting. He has a great left foot. He doesn't jump! He's 199 cm and doesn't jump when he rucks. I don't know much about rucking but if you are rucking against taller opponents and you don't jump... you lose. There's no contested marks or tackles. I'm not sold.

I did my comprehensive research on Sam Baulderstone by watching the three minute highlights on the Afl sight. It was not what i was expecting. He has a great left foot. He doesn't jump! He's 199 cm and doesn't jump when he rucks. I don't know much about rucking but if you are rucking against taller opponents and you don't jump... you lose. There's no contested marks or tackles. I'm not sold.

Don't worry about those terribly compiled highlights. If you noticed half of it was 2 games vs Port (1 vs a spud in Renouf and 1 vs No ruck)
I've seen him play live several times he is better than that.

Don't worry about those terribly compiled highlights. If you noticed half of it was 2 games vs Port (1 vs a spud in Renouf and 1 vs No ruck)
I've seen him play live several times he is better than that.

Cool. It was mainly a game against Port. It's just a small sample. Can he jump?!?

Cool. It was mainly a game against Port. It's just a small sample. Can he jump?!?
No. haha

Edit: He's a strong man though. He dominates on boundary throw-ins and things like that.
If he came across big jumpers like Nic Nat in the centre of the ground he'd get destroyed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone here that may watch TAC cup/U18 football, thoughts on Pittonet? Rookie possibility?

Pittonet (201cm) , Preuss (205cm) , Loersch (203cm) and Frampton (199cm) would be worth looking at in the coming draft. Hopefully we could get 1 or maybe 2 of these players and develop them.

I would get 2 that way we don't have to worry about rucks for a while (e.g. Gorringe) and it would give Redden time to get his body right next year.

Quite true. There are no guarantees he will get picked at all.

Thurlow is a massive, massive spud. There was a week this year where both Ryder and Bellchambers were out injured. The Bombers played Daniher and Carlisle as their ruck combo (completely destroying their forward structure in the process) rather than playing Thurlow. They literally decided they'd rather go into a game with zero ruckman than play him. DO. NOT. WANT.

Thurlow is a massive, massive spud. There was a week this year where both Ryder and Bellchambers were out injured. The Bombers played Daniher and Carlisle as their ruck combo (completely destroying their forward structure in the process) rather than playing Thurlow. They literally decided they'd rather go into a game with zero ruckman than play him. DO. NOT. WANT.

Spoken like a true AFL fantasy coach :D

I doubt that Baulderstone is athletic enough to cut it at AFL level, and while it could be argued he would be value for the Maggies, the 4th in line ruckman is more about developing a future Power player, than it is about thumbing our noses at the deadlegs.

I hope a 200 cm plus young bloke will be the go, even though he may not yet be SANFL standard.

Darcy Cameron averaged 20 hitouts in the WAFL for Claremont. At 19 years of age I think he has plenty of room to improve.
Good height (203cm) and good size (98kg) to handle the SANFL rucks in the short term.

I doubt that Baulderstone is athletic enough to cut it at AFL level, and while it could be argued he would be value for the Maggies, the 4th in line ruckman is more about developing a future Power player, than it is about thumbing our noses at the deadlegs.

I hope a 200 cm plus young bloke will be the go, even though he may not yet be SANFL standard.
Unfortunately we need both as currently the only sure ruckman we have is Lobbe.
Ryder may or may not be able to play and Redden needs time. We need a short term gap filler plus a developing ruckman.

As we have a few that able to ruck on the list the short term gap filler may be the more urgent of the two.

Darcy Cameron averaged 20 hitouts in the WAFL for Claremont. At 19 years of age I think he has plenty of room to improve.
Good height (203cm) and good size (98kg) to handle the SANFL rucks in the short term.

Nah, spent the entire second half of the year in the reserves.

I suspect you are only rating him because he was a big name last year.

Nah, spent the entire second half of the year in the reserves.

I suspect you are only rating him because he was a big name last year.

Just throwing a name up.
There are only about 18 rucks that are on the draft machine on AFL.com and most of them have little chance to be picked.
All the best rucks in this years draft class probs won't be there by our first pick.

After watching the highlights and doing a bit of google stalking, I am hoping for Pittonet and Paul Hunter to be on the list. Pittonet looks like the most accomplished of the young rucks and Paul Hunter looks like he has the biggest upside of the break glass rucks. He is 21, played 7 games last year and the full season this year. He won Redland's best and fairest. He was in the NEAFL team of the year and won the rising star award. The main thing is that he is athletic. He runs good times on the track, he can jump when rucking and going for marks, he looks bullocking at ground level. I'm liking Paul Hunter.

Inside Football's draft special came out a couple of days ago. They have previews of 200 blokes including all those who went to the AIS combine and state combines and other blokes their reports reckon should be considered. From that list these are the 3 blokes who are 22-24 and IMO have bodies ready to go to play AFL straight away if Ryder has a holiday due to ASADA, Redden struggles to get back and god help us Lobbe goes down with an injury.

upload_2014-11-8_16-34-42.png

upload_2014-11-8_16-36-10.png
Stats for those struggling to read the scanned image
P-18 K-5.7 M-3.4 H-7.6 D-13.3 DE%-69.2 CP-8.6 UP-5.0 HO-29.1

upload_2014-11-8_16-39-16.png

His stats on the next page were
VFL P-14 K-5.2 M-1.7 H-3.9 D-9.1 DE%-52.3 CP-6.1 UP-2.9 HO-28.3

Back