OPERATION: Get McCartney

Remove this Banner Ad

Double the Fist

i wull eet yur fayce karnt
Dec 16, 2008
On the edge....
AFL Club
West Coast
The Geelong boys loved him and were perplexed why Macca got the ass. Seems the players were a bunch of gen y soft-utensils. He was their boss, they are employees who have to do what the coach wants FFS its that simple. Macca will be sought after no doubt because of his Geelong experiance and well talked about development abilities. I reckon its worth a squirt.

Jun 14, 2012
#returnofthewings
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals, Wildcats, Warriors
What I was trying to say is (I just re-read my post and you are right, it makes no sense) it's a silly idea.

I have read on other threads "We should get such n such sacked coach to help Simmo" (Bluey comes to mind).

the coaching staff is settled, lets not mix it up

He was described as the best development coach in the league.

Our development sucks.

Computer says yes.

I like the way Snrub thinks
tumblr_lr4l2n2IcM1qmqbq7o1_400.jpg

Double the Fist

i wull eet yur fayce karnt
Dec 16, 2008
On the edge....
AFL Club
West Coast
What I was trying to say is (I just re-read my post and you are right, it makes no sense) it's a silly idea.

I have read on other threads "We should get such n such sacked coach to help Simmo" (Bluey comes to mind).

I knew what you meant, I just thought it was a bit over the top! :cool::p

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears

I see the advantage in settled coaching panel, but just like improving your playing list by taking the best available talent, there's no reason why we can't make the most of the best coaches available.

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Now just reading this:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-11/theres-a-lesson-for-every-club

I think reading between the lines, he was trying to fast track of a very talented young player base at the Club and the older players didn't like it, cause some of their mates were spared at the expense of the younger players.

Make no mistake, sentiment plays no part and the club is bigger than its players (WB and Essendon take note) and this guy has been around a long time, he would help fast track players at our club and could spend some extra time to soul search with players like Hill and Wellingham and turn them around and take a lot of pressure of Simmo who has still has a very green coaching team at his disposal.

McCartney comes with a lot of experience and has been part of personally coaching successful teams prior to his stint and as an assistant.

He would no doubt relish the chance to get away from Victoria you would think, is older, a career coach and you would think that traveling would not be an issue with him and he could even have a joint role with the WAFL club (Hey Swannies?)

What are peoples thoughts about getting in before someone else does as an assistant coach to Simmo, similarly if you will like Eade is to Buckley, a confidant, support and comes to the fold with experience to help Simmo in pressure situations.

Plus the upside is that McCartney would know a lot of people and help bring over some quality if he could get in the ear of two or three players.

I don't buy into the whole Bulldogs theory, its bullshit but could be a massive get for us. Thoughts?

Stereo

The fact is building a list, or in his case a club, takes longer than four seasons.

Some clubs or teams are so bereft of talent and good people in the right positions, that cultural change takes a long time to bear fruit.

He, like many before him, are proven coaches in their own right.

However, when you take over a losing side who feels pain for the first few years, the media seem to call for your head early.

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
It seems the club is a bit reticent to add players/coaches to the club this year.

Perhaps wanting to see how things go and find any glaring deficiencies. I hope this doesn't come back to bite us down the track, as there is certainly a bit of coaching talent available right now.

I'd be happy to have McCartney at the club, I don't understand why people feel it's wrong to get sacked coaches on the panel, I'm pretty sure Ratten is a big part of a premiership team right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back