Operation - Get Sanderson

Remove this Banner Ad

DaicosianMarvels

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Something big must have happened to sack him one year after signing him up for 3 years.

A football club is not that dumb to sack a guy and pay him out over a million bucks just for a guy like Goodwin. They would have known if Goodwin was thinking about joining them.

I am not going to sit here and say Adelaide have lost their mind and are treating him poorly because I am sure they have valid reasons for it. Sanderson's coaching has been more impressive than Buckley's so far though but I wouldn't sack Buckley for him though.

DolphinMan

Senior List
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
And rightly so. I prefer management to be in charge over the players. Player power is a recipe for disaster.

You really need to get over your Buckley fixation. You are acting like a rejected lover. Time to get over it, or perhaps start supporting Adelaide since they know what they are doing.
Thatsgold is 100% correct.....time will tell but a 4th year of regression should not be tolerated. We are NOT Melbourne etc

Good_Old

Cancelled
10k Posts Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
May 27, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
What you didn't see is what went on under Sanderson. Why he couldn't control it and the fall out from the players. Like Kruger said all we've done is the opposite. They sack the coach, we sacked the players to suit the coach.

Tail wagging dog stuff.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Would he be groomed in to the head job?

Not sure.

My hope is that if Bucks continues on the trajectory he's on, Ed will (hopefully) spend the next 2 years wooing Alistair Clarkson to pull off a Freo/Ross Lyon type poaching.

Dude knows how to run a forward line at least:

Adelaide Offensive Rating under Sando: 2nd (2012), 9th (2013, post tippet), 3rd (2014)
By comparison in the last three seasons we've been 9th (2012), 6th (2013) and 15th (this year :( )

I'd have a chat to him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think hes too tight with Buckley. Theres mates and the theres mates.
Wouldn't need to convince him about the standards required - I reckon they might've shared a philosophy or two.
I'm all for it. A change of perspective - Geelong, (success) and Adelaide, (beat us twice this year).

rustyg70

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2011
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
We've already got rid of Lappin and there was a rumour that Lockyer was under the pump also.
If we can some how get him cheaply, (remembering he is getting paid out for the next 2 years by the Crows) we would be stupid not to at least inquire.
I'm sure Bucks would have already spoken to him as a mate, but doubt he would have asked about his future yet.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we get Sanderson I hope that Dangerfield and him were on the same page. If Danger is thinking about returning to Victoria in a years time I hope that he would seriously be considering us.

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
If we get Sanderson I hope that Dangerfield and him were on the same page. If Danger is thinking about returning to Victoria in a years time I hope that he would seriously be considering us.
This could be a key to any victorian club signing Sanderson. The hope that he could bring the good players he was close with to their club

Interesting to note that Sando's phone has been ringing hot since his sacking. That's a strong indication of how hard it is to find (and retain) good assistants. I know one of our Collingwood myths is that we always have (or should have) the best of everything - on the basis of our wealth and apparent attractiveness to anyone who has anything to do with football. But the reality is we have limited options like many clubs. Limited to who is available. And now limited by a tax on football department spending. If we put Lappin off due to budgetary cuts, its seems problematic to then hire Sanderson. On the other hand, if another assistant goes...

My main concern is if we'd be creating that 'boys club' vibe. It's all well and good to promote him based on his merits but if it's done because of friendship then it's a huge trap just waiting for us to fall into. Scott Burns was a similar situation although I think he proved himself as a more than worthy candidate while at the WCE (I think?) and from all reports Sanderson was a great assistant at Geelong, but it's a bit hard to tell for sure.

We absolutely do not want Buckley surrounding himself with sycophants, it would be the worst possible thing that could happen.
I understand your concerns, but from another angle, sometimes your closest mates are the first to let you know when they disagree.
I happen to supervise a lot of good mates at work and they're the first to voice up, even when I don't want to hear it

Interesting to note that Sando's phone has been ringing hot since his sacking. That's a strong indication of how hard it is to find (and retain) good assistants. I know one of our Collingwood myths is that we always have (or should have) the best of everything - on the basis of our wealth and apparent attractiveness to anyone who has anything to do with football. But the reality is we have limited options like many clubs. Limited to who is available. And now limited by a tax on football department spending. If we put Lappin off due to budgetary cuts, its seems problematic to then hire Sanderson. On the other hand, if another assistant goes...
Hudson has gone back to Brisbane ;)

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Get through the next few weeks and there may well be some shuffling of the deck chairs among coaching ranks. We've now got at least 1 senior coaching position and Goodwins move to Melbourne has potentially created an assistant position at the Bombers.

Certainly wouldn't hurt to have a chat to him to get an understanding of his plans for 2015 and when the dust settles we may just have space for him.

Factor in the payout and the potential relocation of his family and he may just opt to have a year off, throw in a bit of media stuff. Time will tell but 2016 may see a few more doors open for him to return to senior coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back