Opinions on a cheap PC

Remove this Banner Ad

Good move with the GPU. Personally, I really hate spending good money after bad, hence why I was so hell bent on talking you out of the low end cards. Wait a bit & weigh up your options.

Black & red case, red led fans, red ram, blue mobo? surely that deserves an upgrade? ;)

Keep posting as your build takes shape mate. :thumbsu:
I thought about that a while after I posted earlier. Decided to go with the ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard - same price as the MSI and looks to be exactly the same, just red ha! Saved $20 (could have saved more) as the case doesn't come with an optical drive so I guess it's going to be a USB install!

Will do, and do appreciate your help throughout choosing what it is that I want!

Just got this thaaang this morning. Have this and the case. Next week I should knock out the CPU / HDD / SSD
FWnvQMU.png

Anyone know anything about fan configurations? I think I've got everything I need to know for when I build which will be soon.

CPU cooler is 212 EVO with two SP120 fans. 3 front case fans (stock NZXT fans), rear and two top fans all AF120s. Case is NZXT H440 if anyone could give me some advice or just draw me a diagram that would be great!

1 intake & 1 exhaust is overkill for your system, being a non K cpu with no GPU.

Just use the 4 stock NZXT fans an save the $80 on the 4 overpriced Corsair fans.
Actually us the stock Intel CPU cooler and save the $40 on the EVO as well.
That's $120 down-payment on a sweet GPU...

As for the configuration. 1 rear exhaust, 3 x front panel intakes...

1 intake & 1 exhaust is overkill for your system, being a non K cpu with no GPU.

Just use the 4 stock NZXT fans an save the $80 on the 4 overpriced Corsair fans.

Hey guys,
I've got around $2k to spend on a laptop which needs to be able to run the adobe suite, 3d modelling and rendering and animation software too.
I've already got a desktop, but need a laptop to whip round with me. Has anybody got any advice on where to buy? SSD vs HDD is also kinda confusing me for a cost/benefit. I just need something super fast. Screen size is no issue. I've got an external HDD but does that negate the pros of an SSD? If anyone has any advice, I'd be stoked

Hey guys,
I've got around $2k to spend on a laptop which needs to be able to run the adobe suite, 3d modelling and rendering and animation software too.
I've already got a desktop, but need a laptop to whip round with me. Has anybody got any advice on where to buy? SSD vs HDD is also kinda confusing me for a cost/benefit. I just need something super fast. Screen size is no issue. I've got an external HDD but does that negate the pros of an SSD? If anyone has any advice, I'd be stoked
From what I've learnt while building my desktop. SSDs are the way to go if you are after a faster machine. Not too sure about what and where to buy a laptops though. Most people use SSD to boot the OS and applications faster, and HDD for general storage. Not sure how they go in laptops though.

Hey guys,
Look for an i7 4000 series chip (better power economy than older 3000 chips) with at least 8gb ram + 250gb SSD. Look for an IPS display for better colour reproduction.
$2k will get you a pretty nice ultrabook, a slim form factor for easier mobility.
Don't discount a gaming grade machine either, I'm 75% certain that 3d modelling/rendering will leverage the Cuda cores in an Nvidia graphics card to increase productivity.

Browse through www.centrecom.com.au, www.cplonline.com.au and www.msy.com.au to find a machine that suits your needs/taste then pop the model number into www.staticice.com.au to find the best online price Aust wide.

Hey guys,

What spec is your desktop? I'm not sure how complicated your work is, but you might need to fork out more than $2k if it's too complex, a lot of our design guys use Dell Precision M6xxx range laptops with Quadro video cards, they start at around $3800. Horize do a series of generic customizable laptops that are good bang for buck, and ASUS do some "gamer" devices that are quite solid too (obviously at a higher price point). SSD should benefit you quite a bit, a USB drive will slow you down a bit if it's USB 2.0 or older so it might pay to upgrade to USB 3.0

Thanks so much for your replies. Really gave us a great starting point.

dav3 Desktop is a 2009 imac. only got 4g ram and can't handle the newer modelling programs and plugins, so thinking of sharing a drive between it and the new laptop. and just working on finished images on the big screen and doing all the complex processes on the laptop. Largely need it for animation, rendering and 3d modelling using rhino, 3ds maxx and the adobe suite. And I have a 3.0 external drive which i use constantly.
I've done a little more research and am trying to decide between these two. They seem to have the best specs for their cost.

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/search?search=G550JK-CN154H = $1899

and this one

http://www.estore.com.au/hp-envy-ts...aticice&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=HWP008226 = $1799 with a 256g SSD

the screen size doesn't bother me, nor does appearance or the touch screen side of things. Just wondering, with those things aside, which is the better option? It seems like it comes down to graphics card, but I dont know how much they're going to effect my work. Thanks again for your help guys.

Hey PC Coach! I feel that's a suitable name ;). So I have everything pretty much asides from keyboard/mouse I'm getting and the GPU. I really can't make up my mind on what I want.

I'm considering these two but not sure what would be better. I want to spend as little as possible but still get great performance around the same range.

ASUS Radeon R9 270X DirectCU II TOP 2GB
XFX Radeon R9 280X Double Dissipation 3GB

From what I've read the 270x avg BF4 is like 10 more FPS than the 280x. On other games it's around 4-6 less. From what I gather though the 270x is clocked higher than the 280x. Would it be better to just save the $ and sacrifice the little performance and save the money? Am I missing out on anything that I can't see if I don't get the 280x? I've posted a few other places but no one really gives me a decent understandable to a noob response like you have. So hoping you can help me out!

Grasshopper, good to see you are almost at your destination. ;)

XFX 280X $329 or Asus 270X $269 = XFX 280X

However XFX 270X $229 is a clear winner.

Don't get hung up on clockspeeds, they are easily increased pressing a button or 2 in free software. that XFX 280X should bump up to around the 100mhz mark.

The chips used in the 270X are weaker and cooler than the 280X silicone hence the higher clockspeeds.

The 280X, let me put this this way.

I have an ASUS 280X. In BF4 it's good for 85 fps in ultra which is sweet. However coming from a competitive background it really is a case of too many graphics. You will find almost ALL comp guys play on virtually the lowest settings. Less grass, trees and bushes are whispy etc. The gist is it's easier to spot players. My card runs BF4 LOW at 185 fps. Perfect if a 120/144 hz or 2560x1080/1440/1600 monitor upgrade is on the horizon. Otherwise overkill for a 60hz 1080 setup.

If 1920x1080 at 60hz is all you need then the XFX 270X would be a pretty nice fit @ $100 less than the XFX 280X.

Again savings can go towards those peripherals... :thumbsu:

PS.
:hearts: My mouse http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=24387
:hearts: My KB http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22482
:hearts: My wrist-pad http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26063

and this one

http://www.estore.com.au/hp-envy-ts...aticice&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=HWP008226 = $1799 with a 256g SSD

The ASUS is better specified.

The CPU is slightly faster but uses marginally more power. http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4702MQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4700HQ

The GPU has 640 CUDA cores v 384 in the HP. http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...geforce-gtx-850m-2gb-gddr5-vs-geforce-gt-750m

Also yes CUDA cores accelerates 3D rendering. That is 100% of my knowledge on that subject....

Ha. Yes, I'm almost there after a bunch of months collecting parts.

I'm going to be using some old 5ms 24" (?) screen I have laying around for a month or two but intend to either get the ASUS MX279H 27" or LG 27MP75HM-P 27" for my PC and the ASUS VX238H for console competitive gaming because of it's 1ms response time. I'm thinking more the ASUS just because it'll be next to another ASUS haha. What GPU would you recommend based on me saying I'll be upgrading to one of the 27" monitors?

That mouse looks like it is fun to play on. I'm going with the Raptor m45 and the new tT eSports Poseidon Z because after seeing reviews from multiple people, it seems like it'll be great for what I want in gaming and general computer use (the numberpad will be good) and LED. Despite the new 'cheap' MX Blue switches it looks good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to be using some old 5ms 24" (?) screen I have laying around for a month or two but intend to either get the ASUS MX279H 27" or LG 27MP75HM-P 27" for my PC and the ASUS VX238H for console competitive gaming because of it's 1ms response time. I'm thinking more the ASUS just because it'll be next to another ASUS haha. What GPU would you recommend based on me saying I'll be upgrading to one of the 27" monitors?
Now I'm having trouble comprehending what you are looking to achieve.

You have some generic 24" 1080 HD panel.
You want an IPS 27" 1080 HD panel. ~$380
AND you want a 23" 1080 HD 1ms panel for console. ~$190

Why not keep the existing 24" as a secondary utility screen and buy a ~$499 24" BENq 144hz gaming monitor 1080 HD with 1ms GTG and Dynamic Black Equaliser to see what's lurking in the shadows. Has several inputs so can connect as primary PC screen and also console screen.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1210&products_id=27261

In terms of GPU if you are buying all those 60hz 1080 HD panels then get the 270X.
If you get a 144hz PC ELITE gaming monitor then get the 280X cause you'll want the full 144 fps...

dav3 Desktop is a 2009 imac. only got 4g ram and can't handle the newer modelling programs and plugins, so thinking of sharing a drive between it and the new laptop. and just working on finished images on the big screen and doing all the complex processes on the laptop. Largely need it for animation, rendering and 3d modelling using rhino, 3ds maxx and the adobe suite. And I have a 3.0 external drive which i use constantly.
I've done a little more research and am trying to decide between these two. They seem to have the best specs for their cost.

and this one

the screen size doesn't bother me, nor does appearance or the touch screen side of things. Just wondering, with those things aside, which is the better option? It seems like it comes down to graphics card, but I dont know how much they're going to effect my work. Thanks again for your help guys.

The Asus looks good, and is probably about as powerful as you're going to get for that price point. I haven't dealt with people using that kind of PC modelling software too much, but I'd say that if an old iMac can do it that thing should handle it fine.

Hate, AMD just announced the re-introduction of their "Never Settle" games promotion..:thumbsu:

http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsreloadedforever.aspx

R9 270X will give you the choice of 2 games, R9 280X gives you 3. Games are probable worth $20-$40 each...

Also I swear Origin was running a 40% off all titles sale soon but can't find it ATM.
I can't see an end date. Do these usually end after a few weeks? Thanks for letting me know! I think I'll go with the 280x because I was already considering it, and the games are just a bonus now because I would have spent a ton on some random games.

Also I think I'm going to do what you suggested (it took me a while to figure out what you meant, I seriously had like a mental blank as to why you would even suggest that, I get it now though.) Eyeroll at myself.

Also I think I'm going to do what you suggested (it took me a while to figure out what you meant, I seriously had like a mental blank as to why you would even suggest that, I get it now though.) Eyeroll at myself.

The 144hz monitor you mean? If so BenQ>>>>>>>>Asus because of the black EQ......

I can picture you ditching console in the not to distant future. ;)

The 144hz monitor you mean? If so BenQ>>>>>>>>Asus because of the black EQ......

I can picture you ditching console in the not to distant future. ;)
Ha! I doubt that. I love my Xbox(s). I have mates who play PC a lot, so I'm really looking forward to joining them though.

I was going to post about one of the ASUS models but realised the $100 cheaper it was takes away pretty much all features and you're just paying for the 24" and response time. I have one question though, what's the difference between the BenQ XL2420Z and the XL2420TE? Both the same price and appear to be the same?

Ha! I doubt that. I love my Xbox(s). I have mates who play PC a lot, so I'm really looking forward to joining them though.

I was going to post about one of the ASUS models but realised the $100 cheaper it was takes away pretty much all features and you're just paying for the 24" and response time. I have one question though, what's the difference between the BenQ XL2420Z and the XL2420TE? Both the same price and appear to be the same?
Dunno, probably just model update from 2013 (XL2020TE) to 2014 (XL2420Z) with maybe a firmware update???

XL2411T is also the same screen but with a different industrial design in the bezel & stand stand and without the quick profile selector. Save $100.

Hit up Officeworks and look up desktops all in one. There are some awesome deals on there at the moment.

Also why would you get a 120/144Hz monitor for console when they're capped at 30/60fps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back