Opinions on a cheap PC

Kaan

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Not solely for console but as a dual purpose PC/Console screen.
When console gaming it still has Black EQ to see in the shadows...

Isn't he getting one for PC and one for console? If he's getting a 120/144Hz monitor just for console it sounds like a waste.

A $200 monitor would give you similar performance for console.

Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton, Mount Buller Demons
Isn't he getting one for PC and one for console? If he's getting a 120/144Hz monitor just for console it sounds like a waste.

A $200 monitor would give you similar performance for console.

Also I think I'm going to do what you suggested (it took me a while to figure out what you meant, I seriously had like a mental blank as to why you would even suggest that, I get it now though.) Eyeroll at myself.
(Using the 144Hz for both console and PC)

Kaan

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
(Using the 144Hz for both console and PC)

I take it you'll be gaming competitively on PC as well? Good choice if so.

Otherwise for single player/casual gaming on PC an IPS monitor would be nice and you'll save money.

Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I take it you'll be gaming competitively on PC as well? Good choice if so.

Otherwise for single player/casual gaming on PC an IPS monitor would be nice and you'll save money.
I'd like to try get into it. I play competitive on console, but have always played without a monitor. So the 24" benefits in both ways really.

Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I prob wont have built my PC by then, if I download it through origin on another windows PC will it still be there to download on my new one?
Once you download it it will be there on your account forever.

Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Just wanted to post saying thank you to everyone who posted in this thread. Especially Gold Member.

I spent majority of the night figuring out how to put it together, and finally after almost breaking some fingers, I got it done and boy am I proud.

It pretty much was lego, except for the fans - screwing through rubber is a damn pain in the ass. I had a few hiccups with getting Windows 8.1 installed but luckily my buddy was awake at 3 AM (my sleep schedule is s**t) to help me on Skype. Missing HDD screws (stole some from some old ass PC laying around). LED strip I got has horrible sticky stuff on it, kept falling off so I had to stick it where it's visible.

I'll post some pictures of the progress later today when I wake up. Downloading BF3 at the moment, and should get the 3 free games from AMD today too. Keyboard and mouse next week. Going to be a lot of fun!!

Specs though:
H87 Fatal1ty Performance
XFX Radeon R9 280x
i5 4690
8 GB RAM Ripjaws X
120 GB Samsung EVO SSD
1 TB WD Blue
And a bunch of AF 120 fans.

Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cup size configurable in bios? :rolleyes:
Did have a laugh at this.
Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic or not but it's Double Data Rate RAM, the frequency is displayed as 800mhz but in the real world it actually runs at 1600mhz
Ahh ok. Thanks mate!

P.S Here's some pictures of the setup. I have more of when I was building it, I'll upload them soon too, just on camera because phone died from using the torch:

http://imgur.com/a/bBGFP

This is my setup until saturday. I'm building a desk and side shelves in my cupboard this weekend. Seen some really cool ideas I'm going to try out to get a wicked 3-monitor setup when I get a new monitor. I'll take some pictures without the window on it on the weekend too so you can actually see.

P.S I've played 3 games on BF3 (besides me being horrendous with a keyboard and mouse) and I'm already in love with this game. Amazing stuff. Downloading Payday 2 atm.

Looking at getting a gaming PC for single player and online competitive gaming.

Similar to the OP, i have no idea about any of the hardware. like no idea at all. Have been a console gamer my whole life.

Been checking out the whirlpool thread here http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs_1

I'm assuming you get what you pay for? Budget is prob a thousand, but can push it. Looking to be playing most of the current and upcoming games on highest possible graphics setting.

Looking at $800 ($1,000) Gaming/Multi-Purpose Config OC
CPU: AMD FX-6300 $133
Mobo: ASRock 970-PRO3 R2.0 $88
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Patriot-S DDR3-1600 $85
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB $64
GPU: Gigabyte 2GB AMD Radeon R9 270 $209
Case: Coolermaster N400 $59
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 450C Bronze $71
ODD: DVD-RW Drive $20
CPU HSF: Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO $24
Peripherals: [ 23" LG 23EA53V-P / Microsoft Wired Desktop 600 / Logitech LS21 2.1 ] ($229)

Total: $761 ($990)

Or

$1,050 ($1,450) Intel Gaming/Multi-Purpose Config

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 $209
Mobo: Asrock H97M-Pro4 $118
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ares/Sniper DDR3-1600 $96
SSD: SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB $87
GPU: Galaxy 2GB GeForce GTX 760 $279
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A21 $75
PSU: FSP Raider 550W (80+ Silver) $85
Cables: SATA data cable $2 (Motherboard only comes with two, extra needed for the 3rd drive in this build)
Peripherals: [ 23" LG 23EA53V-P / Ducky DK9008G2 Pro PBT / Logitech G400s / Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II ] ($427)

Total: $1035 ($1,462)

Is the difference in price worth it? Also any other suggestions.

Cheers

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is the difference in price worth it? Also any other suggestions.

Cheers

At the end of the day......... yeah probably. Here's a comparison of the 760 and 270x (the next model up) on that AMD CPU

The Intel CPU you've listed should be faster, and an SSD is always a big help. If you can afford the more expensive one it's probably the way to go, you'd be fine with the cheaper one but you'd probably be looking to upgrade it a bit sooner than the other one.

Looking at getting a gaming PC for single player and online competitive gaming.

Similar to the OP, i have no idea about any of the hardware. like no idea at all. Have been a console gamer my whole life.

Been checking out the whirlpool thread here http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs_1

I'm assuming you get what you pay for? Budget is prob a thousand, but can push it. Looking to be playing most of the current and upcoming games on highest possible graphics setting.

$1,050 ($1,450) Intel Gaming/Multi-Purpose Config

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 $209
Mobo: Asrock H97M-Pro4 $118
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ares/Sniper DDR3-1600 $96
SSD: SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB $87
GPU: Galaxy 2GB GeForce GTX 760 $279
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A21 $75
PSU: FSP Raider 550W (80+ Silver) $85
Cables: SATA data cable $2 (Motherboard only comes with two, extra needed for the 3rd drive in this build)
Peripherals: [ 23" LG 23EA53V-P / Ducky DK9008G2 Pro PBT / Logitech G400s / Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II ] ($427)

Total: $1035 ($1,462)

Cheers

This one, the Intel rig...

SSD is looking a tad small. My 250 GB only has 60G left with maybe 5 odd AAA titles installed and a dozen smaller indie's.

Change the Graphics to an AMD R9 280 (equivalent of a GTX 760) and save $$ plus get 3 free games. Should run BF4 at 75ish frames ultra maxxxed, however if your slighty competitive you'll probably run at low/medium. I run an R9 280X all low for the simple fact that you can see through things that you can't on ultra.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php...=27934&zenid=2b6e9f27266cff70a5fc734962890ead
amd_rrgold04.jpg

Wow I really enjoyed reading this thread. Well done on building your new rig Hate with supportive and excellent help from Gold Member.
I was also thinking of purchasing and building a new PC from scratch as well so seeing this thread and seeing your journey has inspired me!

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just quickly. Is it hard to overclock? What does overclocking even do?

Basically it increases the speed of your CPU/GPU, there are plenty of guides like this out there which I'd suggest you read before trying it. It's not hard these days..... particularly if you have a fancier motherboard as a lot of them can do the hard work for you, although I'm a bit out of the loop since I haven't bothered for a few years (first attempted it back in 1998-1999). As long as you're careful with temperatures and voltages you're pretty safe to play around with it, but personally I wouldn't bother with it unless your system really needs a boost.

Back