Opinions on a cheap PC

Remove this Banner Ad

Have a friend who's looking to buy or get built a custom pc desktop for gaming. budget around $2,000

He doesn't have much idea about computer parts but here's a list of what he sent me. As my cousin built my pc but hes currently over seas so i thought i would ask you guys for any suggestions.

PU: Intel Core i7 440k or Core i7-3930K
Mobo: ? (no idea probably go with asrock model)
RAM: 8GB -16GB (probably go with corsiar vengeance)
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB
HDD: 2 TB to 3 TB
GPU: GeForce GTX770 or GTX780
Case:
PSU: ?
ODD: Blu Ray/dvd (possibly panasonic brand)
Monitor: 23 inch

So is it better to build a custom pc or buy one from a computer store and if so can someone recommend a pc desktop or two he could look at (prefer an Adelaide store)

Have a friend who's looking to buy or get built a custom pc desktop for gaming. budget around $2,000

He doesn't have much idea about computer parts but here's a list of what he sent me. As my cousin built my pc but hes currently over seas so i thought i would ask you guys for any suggestions.

Case:

So is it better to build a custom pc or buy one from a computer store and if so can someone recommend a pc desktop or two he could look at (prefer an Adelaide store)

Check this website out - http://www.choosemypc.net/
Set the country to Australia (duh..) then move the slider to $2,000.
If he can Overclock, click on the "I want to Overclock" button, if not, don't click anything.
Then - Include Windows and Optical Drive.
Finally - Generate Build!

Case:

FOR GAMING

CPU i5 4690K - i7 4770K is a waste of money for gaming. i7 extreme (2011 socket) is triple the cost for ZERO gaming improvement.
MOBO Asrock Z97 Fatality or Asrock Z97 Pro4 or Asrock Z97 Pro4M - all these will support 2 graphics cards and have very good onboard sound. Will accept 6 hard drives/SSD's. Will support 4 ram sticks.
RAM 8gb (2x4) Corsair, g-skill etc... can add extra later
SSD Samsung EVO 250GB - can add additional drives later
HDD - not a single * given, probs some kind of seagate barracuda
GPU R9 280X - I am partial to AMD product, cheaper than equivalent nvidia GTX 770 + comes with 3 free games via "never settle promotion". Will pretty much max out any title on 1080 resolution @ 60fps. Can always add a second one later!
PSU Silverstone 850w modular - Compact, powerful and affordable, allows future upgrades like 2nd GPU no sweat.
CASE - not a single * given
ODD - WHY?

Without researching the above should be around $1500/$1600 leaving money for Keyboard & Mouse, speakers, headset and monitor.....

:thumbsu:

PS. Build yourself, almost impossible to * up.

Check this website out - http://www.choosemypc.net/
Set the country to Australia (duh..) then move the slider to $2,000.
If he can Overclock, click on the "I want to Overclock" button, if not, don't click anything.
Then - Include Windows and Optical Drive.
Finally - Generate Build!
It recommends 2 x GTX 770 in SLI. LoL.

I changed the slider to $1500 and much better, leaves money for peripherals...

Just bought an HP Slate All in One computer as this current computer is 6 years old and the monitor is busted and the back of the tower is no good. That's not good when you have moved a few times in the past 5 years.

Ebay has a 15% everything sale.
Is it worth it to buy computer parts from Ebay?
Get a basic idea of the price from a site like staticice that compares prices and just see what a few of the comparisons are like with prices on eBay. When I got my PC majority of the parts were like $40 cheaper than a PC store.

Stock clearance sale until 7pm 20/10/2014 at Centrecom.

http://www.centrecom.com.au/msi-radeon-hd-7850-twin-frozr-cooling-2gb-gddr5-oc

$89 for a GPU that still retails around the $200 mark.

Will run BF4 max settings with AA off (1080p) at 40 fps.

As an guesstimate if you turn the settings down to Low it should increase to 80 fps.

*pretty sure you could buy 2 and run in crossfire to almost double the performance* (CBF checking)

Don't scoff at Low settings, still better that console easily. Hell, I have a $400 card and play at Low settings by choice (idiot).

Other notables:
Asus, Gigabyte & Asrock Z87 mobos $89-$99
OCZ 256gb SSD $99
Aerocool 600w PSU $66
Mechanical KB's/Gaming mice/headsets half price.

http://www.centrecom.com.au/Sales

thermaltake-vl52021n2a-element-q-mini-case-with-220w-sfx-psu-support-mini-itx-.jpg

Want a case like this but my current board is not a Mini-itx don't want to upgrade the board as i recently upgraded last year.

Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-D3P

Specs

CPU: AMD 6X core
Ram: 4GB Stronium 1600
Video Card: Radeon R9 200 series

You're going to struggle to find a case that small that fits your current hardware.

Basic cases such as this one are generally the smallest you'll get as you're sacrificing all of the bells and whistles you get with more expensive cases. This case is great value, as it still provides cable management space, plenty of room for a decent size graphics card and 2.5" drive bays.

There are HTPC cases which may fit what you're looking for, however you'll find that 99% of them won't even fit a full height graphics card, let alone one with the length of an R9 series card.

Don't scoff at Low settings, still better that console easily. Hell, I have a $400 card and play at Low settings by choice (idiot).
I do this as well sometimes eg BF 3, my 780 Ti runs the game like a dream on Ultra. But there is so much detail on screen my eyes literally can't handle it. So I switch to medium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Budget gaming PC definitive CPU.

Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition $80.

s**t at stock 3.2ghz.
Amazing at 4.2ghz and above.
Common for users to run at 4.6-4.7ghz on stock intel cooler.

Just need an G3258 compatible OC friendly Z or even H 87/97 mobo with up to date bios.

This frees up hundreds of dollars from an entry level i5 to direct towards a better graphics card.
19-117-374-TS

wow-frot.png

Will post further when we custom clock my brothers PC which is currently on a 4.4ghz present........

Pentium G3258 Anniversary ($78.50) overclocking with a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 cooler ($29)
Stock 3.2ghz at 1.25v.
4.7ghz at 1.33v stable. 72-76 deg C.
4.8ghz at 1.39v currently running Prime 95..... 78-82 deg C.
Had a few blue screens at 1.37 & 1.38v.
Fingers crossed. :thumbsu:

Final overclock for Pentium G3258:
4.7ghz @1.31 volts temps around 70 deg C.
Ran Prime 95 for 48 hours no problem.

4.8ghz is just beyond this chip. Gradually got the volts up to 1.425 before giving up as the temps were hovering in the low 90's not to mention the blue screens during torture testing.

Pretty kick ass for a $78.50 CPU. Games every bit as well as my i5 4670k

Final overclock for Pentium G3258:
4.7ghz @1.31 volts temps around 70 deg C.
Ran Prime 95 for 48 hours no problem.

4.8ghz is just beyond this chip. Gradually got the volts up to 1.425 before giving up as the temps were hovering in the low 90's not to mention the blue screens during torture testing.

Pretty kick ass for a $78.50 CPU. Games every bit as well as my i5 4670k

Good effort. Absolute bargain.

Got some EB Games gift vouchers for Christmas, and however not the cheapest price for the mouse (Deathadder Chroma and G502) I think I'll just use the vouchers on them as I don't want any games right now.

Not sure what one I should get? Chroma seems simplistic and nice to use but the G502 has so much more customisability and a better censor from what I've read. Also thinking about chucking an extra $100 for the Chroma keyboard though even. I feel like such a fool getting Razer products but I'm not a hardcore gamer and have these vouchers to spend and they are the only things they sell.

Got some EB Games gift vouchers for Christmas, and however not the cheapest price for the mouse (Deathadder Chroma and G502) I think I'll just use the vouchers on them as I don't want any games right now.

Not sure what one I should get? Chroma seems simplistic and nice to use but the G502 has so much more customisability and a better censor from what I've read. Also thinking about chucking an extra $100 for the Chroma keyboard though even. I feel like such a fool getting Razer products but I'm not a hardcore gamer and have these vouchers to spend and they are the only things they sell.

I love the Deathadder, always been a huge fan. The G502 isn't a bad mouse either, but..

- Will you even use any of the customisation features? I had one for a while and the program was a novelty for the first two days, after that I really didn't have any use for it at all.
- Hideously expensive at EB Games. Usually $89 when most computer retailers have it for the $50-55 mark.
- The mice are very different as far as ergonomics go. Make sure you go and physically test one out. I found that the G502 was really slim and not enough to fill out my hand, however the Deathadder is almost perfect in that regard.

You really can't go wrong - if you do have to buy from EB Games, see if they will price match or just get the cheapest option. Make sure that you test the mice first, that way you can know for sure which mouse will be suitable for you.

I love the Deathadder, always been a huge fan. The G502 isn't a bad mouse either, but..

- Will you even use any of the customisation features? I had one for a while and the program was a novelty for the first two days, after that I really didn't have any use for it at all.
- Hideously expensive at EB Games. Usually $89 when most computer retailers have it for the $50-55 mark.
- The mice are very different as far as ergonomics go. Make sure you go and physically test one out. I found that the G502 was really slim and not enough to fill out my hand, however the Deathadder is almost perfect in that regard.

You really can't go wrong - if you do have to buy from EB Games, see if they will price match or just get the cheapest option. Make sure that you test the mice first, that way you can know for sure which mouse will be suitable for you.
That's my main thing - I don't think I will actually end up using the 11 buttons that the G502 has, but it's the same price and all over YouTube comments and Reddit people pump it up so much.

Do you know if EB will let me test them out or know of anywhere I can test them? It's such a pain having to buy it at such a price, especially the keyboard but I'm hoping they'll price match it with PCCG or even JB and considering I have vouchers I have no other use for, I figure its probably worth it considering the money was never mine in the first place. I just wish they had more options because I probably would have settled for a K45 or and even something like the Poseidon Z I'm not sure what the return policy on mice is, but the Chroma and G502 are the same price.

That's my main thing - I don't think I will actually end up using the 11 buttons that the G502 has, but it's the same price and all over YouTube comments and Reddit people pump it up so much.

Do you know if EB will let me test them out or know of anywhere I can test them? It's such a pain having to buy it at such a price, especially the keyboard but I'm hoping they'll price match it with PCCG or even JB and considering I have vouchers I have no other use for, I figure its probably worth it considering the money was never mine in the first place. I just wish they had more options because I probably would have settled for a K45 or and even something like the Poseidon Z I'm not sure what the return policy on mice is, but the Chroma and G502 are the same price.

Not sure if there's anywhere you can test them, however I'd say EB Games would at least be able to take them out of their packaging so you can get a feel for them. Worth asking if they'll be able to price match too, however knowing what they cost direct from the supplier I highly doubt that they'll be able to do so without making a loss. Be careful with returns as generally you won't receive a refund if you change your mind or don't like the product.

Not sure if there's anywhere you can test them, however I'd say EB Games would at least be able to take them out of their packaging so you can get a feel for them. Worth asking if they'll be able to price match too, however knowing what they cost direct from the supplier I highly doubt that they'll be able to do so without making a loss. Be careful with returns as generally you won't receive a refund if you change your mind or don't like the product.
I ended up grabbing the Deathadder Chroma and the Razer Chroma keyboard, and I'm really liking them so far. I purchased CS:GO as well, and I can safely say I still suck ass at all PC FPS games. The mouse fits in my hand very nicely and I'm sure I'll get used to the keyboard after a while as well. The keys seem very smaller than the $20 logitech keyboard I was using for months.

I'm happy with just the 2 extra buttons on the mouse, any more I would probably be even more baffled, so I'm glad I didn't go with the G502. Going from 8-9 years playing with a controller to a keyboard/mouse is not fun at all, I suck at majority of the games but I'm going to be putting a whole heap of time into games over the break so hopefully I get better haha. :cool:

Sorry for the thread revival, but it's relevant to what the thread has been about.

I'm looking to jump into a bit of PC gaming, with no knowledge or idea of what I'm looking for.

Is a budget of 1000-1500 enough to play the latest games on pretty high settings?

I'd prefer to buy a PC pre-made (links to places that aren't going to rip me off are welcome), but if the price gulf is sizable I might consider building one myself. I have no idea where to start. Try to find a decent website selling PC's that aren't a rip off ( http://www.msy.com.au/home.php, is this site alright? ).

I have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone could help me get a decent computer that plays decent games for a decent price that would be decent. Thanks.

Sorry for the thread revival, but it's relevant to what the thread has been about.

I'm looking to jump into a bit of PC gaming, with no knowledge or idea of what I'm looking for.

Is a budget of 1000-1500 enough to play the latest games on pretty high settings?

I'd prefer to buy a PC pre-made (links to places that aren't going to rip me off are welcome), but if the price gulf is sizable I might consider building one myself. I have no idea where to start. Try to find a decent website selling PC's that aren't a rip off ( http://www.msy.com.au/home.php, is this site alright? ).

I have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone could help me get a decent computer that plays decent games for a decent price that would be decent. Thanks.

$1500 is more than enough (unless something drastic has changed in pricing in the last year). MSY is ok, they have a bad rap still for things that happened years ago, if you do buy it from there make sure you have a warranty and all that jazz.

Here is a link, there is a build for $1500 on the link, but there is decent information on the website and it is great for questions, plus you will see a lot of different builds http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2394739/good-gaming-1500-aud-max.html just be mindful of the dates, some of the builds are from 2008.

I managed to build this for around $1400 late last year (i already had the hdds and cooling) and it's a pretty solid machine so $1500 should be plenty

Intel i5 4690K
ASRock Z97M Pro4
G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Crucial MX100 256GB
Gigabye GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming
Fractal Design Define R4 Black
Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze

Couple that with a OC'd Korean 1440p 27 inch monitor, Corsair K70 and Logitech G602 and you're laughing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back