Roast Opposition fans booing Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Happened to a small extent in the Hawthorn QF and majorly in the North Melbourne game on the weekend. Some of the cries from the crowd included 'weak dog' and 'softest player in the AFL' among others.

I'd like to know how anyone can think his weak or soft the way he goes in for the footy and usually has to get his head taped every week. As for the ducking rumor his quite simply the one who gets in lowest 9/10 and/or he rolls the shoulders, usually the tackler isn't strong enough to hold him and gets high contact. Thought it was very ironic when Swallow ran into I think it was Caddy(?) with his head down, had ample time to rise up but ran in head first trying to get a free kick. Was pinged for holding the ball.

That's my rant over, and for the record I think he has had an issue with ducking in the past but not since at least he became skipper. But the way one of the most courageous players in the comp/best leaders was getting booed for no apparent reason I thought was a disgrace.
I just hope to hell that he wins the Brownlow.

I could not believe the booing that Selwood copped. A Melbourne supporter behind me asked what it was all about, whether Selwood had done something.

It's always happened with some players, Carey for instance.
I distinctly recall Essendon fans chanting "Ablett is a w***er" at the Punt Rd end deep in the last quarter of that game in 93 he'd kicked 14, and they had the game sewn up. Which shows some people can never be gracious.

There's knuckleheads everywhere. We have our share too I suppose.

With Selwood I do love how the more credible guys in the media love him, it's a pity a few feed the trolls.

Here's hoping he can one day lift the cup as captain. I've not seen a more determined & ferocious player.

Well, the booing can be seen as a "badge of honour" I suppose.

But when Hawks fans were doing it I just kept yelling out "Mitch Thorp".
Sorry for the intrusion, but had to dip me hat to this quality response.

I am torn between laughing and crying. ;)

Who cares. The funny part is, Wayne Carey loves him. So does Lethal, Vossy and just about every other former player in the media.
He was voted most courageous player in the comp by his peers.
Why do you care what some arm chair, neandethal AFL consumer (I mean 'supporter') thinks? Most haven't even played the game.
As I have said previously, if Joel played for Gold Coast or Melbourne he would be loved - just like Gary Ablett - who was also most hated when he was at Geelong.
Notice how all the most hated players are champions?
It's not about 'caring', its frustrating when your club captain is booed during the game but it's not like you go home crying about it. I just thought it was worth discussing because its starting to become a trend now, and is a very poor standard.

Yeah booing should be reserved for when a bloke whacks someone. Booing when lining up for goal is s**t too. I think we did it against Freo at kp this year. Ok maybe for after siren, but for every goal? It really tarnishes the sport and is embarrassing for those who do it.

I think there are much fewer knowledgable fans these days, more and more are theatre goers who take their cues from chanell 7 and the like and don't have a proper appreciation of the game.

Personally, I don't mind hearing a lot of booing of our players at games, as it generally means they're getting quite a bit of the footy. ;)

Kevin Bartlett who was an absolute champion - used to get hooted - Geelong supporters included - why - because he was that bloody good - opposition supporters get a bit jealous

Not just the booing for me, I have a general issue with media personnel **cough Robbo** diminishing Selwood's status by suggesting his peers dislike his tactics. I don't ask for subservient appraisal and arse-licking, just some form of decency would be nice. It's tiring and JS certainly doesn't deserve it. Even though I'm sure he really doesn't care.

Actually, it does everyone a favour if people boo Selwood. It helps us identify the fans who are real mouth breathers. For the next few decades, the simple litmus test of a man's character could just be does he nod and agree that Selwood was a true great of our era. Does he view Selwood as the type of standard that makes us want to be better men ourselves, or does he hate virtue and smear him in some paroxysm of envy? Watch for if a man can praise Selwood without adding a 'but'. The man bleeds virtue.

Of course if he asks 'Selwood who?' then you know he's some Lesser Eastern Sydney campaigner anyways who just likes to cheer when Goodsey catches the ball and kicks it between the uprights.

Wandering Hawk are you sure you're a Hawk supporter? :p it's refreshing to have bipartisan appreciation anyway. In a few years I hope when Selwood's name is mentioned people think all the things you mentioned rather than right now where it's more likely to engage foaming at the mouth to spout tirades about how he's a cheating ducker umpire love child *expletive* *expletive* *sexual act*, but I guess I expect a lot from mouth breathers :)

Not just the booing for me, I have a general issue with media personnel **cough Robbo** diminishing Selwood's status by suggesting his peers dislike his tactics. I don't ask for subservient appraisal and arse-licking, just some form of decency would be nice. It's tiring and JS certainly doesn't deserve it. Even though I'm sure he really doesn't care.
According to Eddie on ch9 this morning Boomer "should get off because Selwood bleeds more than Norman Gunston". Karl wet himself laughing. It S;:)s me because Ed would have him at Collingwood any day.

Actually, it does everyone a favour if people boo Selwood. It helps us identify the fans who are real mouth breathers. For the next few decades, the simple litmus test of a man's character could just be does he nod and agree that Selwood was a true great of our era. Does he view Selwood as the type of standard that makes us want to be better men ourselves, or does he hate virtue and smear him in some paroxysm of envy? Watch for if a man can praise Selwood without adding a 'but'. The man bleeds virtue.

Of course if he asks 'Selwood who?' then you know he's some Lesser Eastern Sydney campaigner anyways who just likes to cheer when Goodsey catches the ball and kicks it between the uprights.
As Moneypenny suggested, are you a Hawks supporter? I think you clicked the wrong team when you made your account, and some weird auto correct function changed 'cat' to 'hawk' in your username. Next time, please proofread before submitting, k?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Eddie on ch9 this morning Boomer "should get off because Selwood bleeds more than Norman Gunston". Karl wet himself laughing. It S;:)s me because Ed would have him at Collingwood any day.
Don't think that is a go at Selwood.
My daughter and I have a running joke about how long into the game we will get before Joel has a bandage around his head. He does bleed a lot and does have a spot on his eyebrow that is like a permanent cut- it gets hit so often! It is usually pretty early in the game when he gets the bandage-our warrior goes in hard from first bounce.
Terry Wallace just had a rant on SEN about how sick he is of the Selwood dissing, how unwarranted it is, and how great Joel is. (dumb and dumber had to go along albeit less enthusiastically ;) )

Don't think that is a go at Selwood.
My daughter and I have a running joke about how long into the game we will get before Joel has a bandage around his head. He does bleed a lot and does have a spot on his eyebrow that is like a permanent cut- it gets hit so often! It is usually pretty early in the game when he gets the bandage-our warrior goes in hard from first bounce.
Terry Wallace just had a rant on SEN about how sick he is of the Selwood dissing, how unwarranted it is, and how great Joel is. (dumb and dumber had to go along albeit less enthusiastically ;) )
I never thought I'd say this, good on Terry Wallace!

I never thought I'd say this, good on Terry Wallace!
Yep -he was really good. A staunch defence of Selwood and really critical of the rubbish directed at him. Need more of it instead of Dermie's jaundiced views getting airtime.:rolleyes:
Eddie's joke is pretty funny and of course he would take Selwood in heartbeat, and have no doubt he would be the first to admit it.

Have also heard Terry Wallace on Selwood. After one game when the usual dopey opposition supporters were calling in on SEN moaning about the free kicks he is paid, Terry said 'well they should learn how to tackle properly.'

Its very basic isnt it.

Its just so much easier to disrespect someone better than you than to try and be better yourself.

Learn. How. To. Tackle. Properly.

For those of you who will barrack for North Melbourne this weekend just remember that they're supporters seem to be the most vocal against Selwood for the last 1-2 years, more so than Hawks fans imo.

Statistically the numbers don't lie, he has had an overwhelming amount of frees than the next player who happens to be his brother. The thing is imo his intention is not to win the free but to break the tackle and get free, he is a hard player. Opposition fans should be much more annoyed with Stevie J, Christian and possibly Stokes before they get up in arms about Selwood. Because imo particualry Stevie J and Christian actually do duck and exacerbate the contact in an effort to win a free. I'm guessing the hate is probably because he is such a damaging player though that he will hurt you when rewarded.

For those of you who will barrack for North Melbourne this weekend just remember that they're supporters seem to be the most vocal against Selwood for the last 1-2 years, more so than Hawks fans imo.

Statistically the numbers don't lie, he has had an overwhelming amount of frees than the next player who happens to be his brother. The thing is imo his intention is not to win the free but to break the tackle and get free, he is a hard player. Opposition fans should be much more annoyed with Stevie J, Christian and possibly Stokes before they get up in arms about Selwood. Because imo particualry Stevie J and Christian actually do duck and exacerbate the contact in an effort to win a free. I'm guessing the hate is probably because he is such a damaging player though that he will hurt you when rewarded.
Cheering for Sydney this weekend, and Port.

Cheering for Sydney this weekend, and Port.
THIS.

Assuming the worst case scenario (Port don't beat them) Norf stand no chance of beating the pees and poos in the granny, so no I'm definitely barracking for a team that can with the spicy extra sub-plot of having a former great of theirs being instrumental in their downfall. :)

It's not about 'caring', its frustrating when your club captain is booed during the game but it's not like you go home crying about it. I just thought it was worth discussing because its starting to become a trend now, and is a very poor standard.

I think at least part of the reason for doing it is because our supporters get so irritated by it. I find it funny. North people around where I was sitting were going off their heads at 'bloody Selwood, that'd be right etc...etc...' when he got a free kick...because a North player had thrown the ball. Literally the only reason he got the free kick because he was the closest Geelong player to the ball.

i can rationalise why opposition fans dislike selwood. i dont agree with it, but i can understand. if he played for hawthorn, you better believe most geelong fans would hate his knack for pulling high frees.

i dont think geelong fans as a whole really represent the ideal when it comes to unconditional respect for opposition players who are good footballers. we all have our own targets.

doesnt bother me one bit him getting booed, and trying to justify his high frees (which i think are justified, as its a tackle breaking technique and he always just goes on with it...) on here is: 1) preaching to the choir; and 2) a waste of time even if others were to read it.

dont let it get to you! just enjoy watching him play and captain our side year in, year out. remarkable player, and still a long way to go in his career.

universal respect of a team and its players just isnt going to happen. ever.
Geelong fans didnt boo Puopolo after he got those two ducking frees in short succession and both in front of goal in the last home and away game. Bartel has one diving free and they go off at him all night. Selwood is booed before he even gets a free.

And for the cream on the cake if you are still not convinced about Hawthorn fans, They used used to boo Neville Bruns vehemently every possession he got for 8 years after the Matthews incident, the one where Bruns got his jaw broke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back