Roast Opposition fans booing Selwood

speedybundy

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
For what it's worth. I was at the Friday game. Great game btw.
I don't boo opposition players, I'd prefer to cheer my team and players.

Selwood giving evidence to help Harvey's cause shows that his not only a champion on the field but also off the field.
I've always thought he was a fair player on the field who plays the ball and not the man.
Sadly I can't see any of my pies players winning the Brownlow Medal in 2014, Selwood would be a most worthy winner.
Here here. Booing completely tasteless, why waste your breath.

I'd love to see him win it to :D but as for Collingwood players Pendlebury's year has been underrated, and Swan won't be pinching as many votes as previously.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I noticed in the interview on Footy Classified Matthew Lloyd asked him about the perception of the method he uses to milk frees but couldn't bring himself to say the word ‘Ducking’ to Joel's face (he actually hesitated). Then once Joel was gone he used the ducking term (behind his back as it were). I think this is pretty typical of people who use this term.

jacross

All Australian
Apr 29, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
PortMelb,NewtownJets,Fitzroy
In regards to my comment, it's more along the lines of: A moron in front of me booing and slagging off Selwood, I say "yep, keep on booing a champion mate!", they then crack the sads and make a scene.

Well I retract what I said about you, because if they actually get upset over that wet lettuce you're throwing around then they really are morons. With that material, you certainly can't be accused of any forceful behaviour whatsoever.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I noticed in the interview on Footy Classified Matthew Lloyd asked him about the perception of the method he uses to milk frees but couldn't bring himself to say the word ‘Ducking’ to Joel's face (he actually hesitated). Then once Joel was gone he used the ducking term (behind his back as it were). I think this is pretty typical of people who use this term.

Anyone who seriously uses the term 'ducking' to apply to Selwood is a moron as far as I'm concerned. Do people have brains? To duck it means you have to purposely lower your head. He doesn't do this. Does he shrug? You bet. But it's not the same thing.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Anyone who seriously uses the term 'ducking' to apply to Selwood is a moron as far as I'm concerned. Do people have brains? Do duck it means you have to purposely lower your head. He doesn't do this. Does he shrug? You bet. But it's not the same thing.
Yes, you're preaching to the choir here, but some people are morons and some just say it to troll especially on BF because they're assholes. From what I can tell Joel doesn't give a stuff what people say, and that's how we should play it too.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Booing won't worry Joel. I always thought I was going o/k and worked harder if I was getting a few boo's it works like getting a smack in the chops early, livens you up a bit,in hind sight it didn't happen often enough, I also have a sneaky suspicion a couple of my team mates from time to time give me one around the back of the head in the pack to get me going.The wife still uses the technique:D.

romeoh

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I know this might be hard to swallow….

But the same applies to Puopolo.
Yep and he is getting very good at the Selwood technique-but he started his ducking career doing real ducks, and he still does the real ducks a bit. But he doesn't seem to get booed.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep and he is getting very good at the Selwood technique-but he started his ducking career doing real ducks, and he still does the real ducks a bit. But he doesn't seem to get booed.
He probably does - by opposition supporters - but they'd be drowned out by the one eyed maniacal cheering of the poo and wee supporters who strangely can't see anything wrong with Poopoo's tactics.

romeoh

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
He probably does - by opposition supporters - but they'd be drowned out by the one eyed maniacal cheering of the poo and wee supporters who strangely can't see anything wrong with Poopoo's tactics.
Amazing isn't it?
Still no way he gets the level of abuse about it that Joel gets.

Two Planks

Norm Smith Medallist
May 14, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Cyril Rioli was booed by bulldogs fans at the VFL grand final. Why ??? Most football fans who attend games are either sheep or morons.

Cyril Rioli was booed by bulldogs fans at the VFL grand final. Why ??? Most football fans who attend games are either sheep or morons.

Probably due to the fact that yesterday was the first VFL game he's played in his career and that their AFL listed players had to qualify for VFL finals, but he didn't, which is similar to why Williamstown were livid McEvoy was allowed to play last week.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Probably due to the fact that yesterday was the first VFL game he's played in his career and that their AFL listed players had to qualify for VFL finals, but he didn't, which is similar to why Williamstown were livid McEvoy was allowed to play last week.
So Box Hill are a bunch of cheats?

Anyone who seriously uses the term 'ducking' to apply to Selwood is a moron as far as I'm concerned. Do people have brains? Do duck it means you have to purposely lower your head. He doesn't do this. Does he shrug? You bet. But it's not the same thing.
The positive out of it is it's an excellent litmus test for football knowledge. You can safely ignore a person's views on football altogether if they suggest Selwood ducks.

Two Planks

Norm Smith Medallist
May 14, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong

Completely different to McEvoy. Hawthorn were playing the same weekend.

Two Planks

Norm Smith Medallist
May 14, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
[QUOTE="winty, post: 35256982, member: 267Actually, Hawthorn had the week off that weekend...[/QUOTE]

Hawthorn was playing the same weekend as Rioli played Vfl is probably the way I should have wrote it. In any league in Australia Rioli would have been allowed to play reserves this weekend. In any league in Australia McEvoy would not have been allowed to play last weekend. Rules are rules and they should be applied.

yeah_nah_yeah

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2008
Central Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Well, maybe they aren't really cheats- but they are perceived now as cheats for playing both McEvoy and Rioli in finals where the rules state they haven't qualified.

Unlucky- but other clubs may have had players miss out because they haven't challenged the rules- I don't know. Not sure of how many have been in this situation and wanted to bring back a player through the VFL like the Hawks have just done over the past few weeks. We might just not hear about it.

romeoh

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Well, maybe they aren't really cheats- but they are perceived now as cheats for playing both McEvoy and Rioli in finals where the rules state they haven't qualified.

Unlucky- but other clubs may have had players miss out because they haven't challenged the rules- I don't know. Not sure of how many have been in this situation and wanted to bring back a player through the VFL like the Hawks have just done over the past few weeks. We might just not hear about it.
Yep but its just another example of the way the Hawks manage to exploit rules to their advantage. This will probs end up yet another rule that has to be implemented or changed because of Hawthorn's cheeky approach.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Probably due to the fact that yesterday was the first VFL game he's played in his career and that their AFL listed players had to qualify for VFL finals, but he [Rioli] didn't, which is similar to why Williamstown were livid McEvoy was allowed to play last week.
Just to correct the misconception that Rioli wasn't eligible for the VFL Grand Final. The rules around VFL Finals eligibility state:

when a Club has both of its Senior Grade (AFL or VFL) teams engaged on the same weekend, the selection of players in the VFL Senior Grade team shall be unrestricted, provided a player has participated in at least one (AFL or VFL) Senior Grade ... match in that relevant season.

Refer http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-118-0-0-0&sID=277333

Re McEvoy, I didn't agree with the VFL's decision to allow him to play the Prelim.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Yep but its just another example of the way the Hawks manage to exploit rules to their advantage. This will probs end up yet another rule that has to be implemented or changed because of Hawthorn's cheeky approach.
Initially I wondered what other examples there were, but on re-reading I'm guessing you mean the rushed behinds thing.

Not quite sure how either situation is an exploitation of a rule. It's either within the rules or it isn't. Ultimately, rushing behinds in the 2008 GF paid off for Hawthorn, but they were certainly not the first to employ the tactic. Richmond did it to their benefit earlier that season (against Essendon IIRC), and I'm sure had been done many times in the past.

Having said that, I think the inclusion of the current rule has been good for the game and definitely adds a level of excitement.

Back