TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

No it's not.

You can access EPL just as easily as AFL. In fact as far as sport goes all AFL games live on dedicated channels is Foxtels biggest selling point, then it has NRL which actually gets higher ratings EPL wouldn't get close to the ratings of those two sports.

Foxtel have the monopoly on paid subscription tv in Australia. The lack of EPL won't change much at all.
For fairly tech savvy people then sure the EPL is pretty accessible, but what about the layman who isn't aware of online streaming etc and is used to just pushing a button on their TV and having it appear through Foxtel. There are plenty of people like that around I know from personal experience.

The rise of netflix is already a big threat to Foxtel, and losing another drawcard in the EPL will surely affect their subscription numbers. AFL and NRL and also available on Free to Air TV whereas EPL isn't, and depending on the AFL team you support then up to 75% of your games could be on FTA, plus you have the option of attending the games live or going to a pub to watch it (this is a different story at 2pm/7pm than it is at 2am/4am for PL games).

I know that personally the EPL (and previously UCL) is the main reason I have foxtel, and if they don't end up with the rights then I'll likely drop it and start using netflix and finding another way to watch the PL, whether that is Optus' service or otherwise.

For fairly tech savvy people then sure the EPL is pretty accessible, but what about the layman who isn't aware of online streaming etc and is used to just pushing a button on their TV and having it appear through Foxtel. There are plenty of people like that around I know from personal experience.

The rise of netflix is already a big threat to Foxtel, and losing another drawcard in the EPL will surely affect their subscription numbers. AFL and NRL and also available on Free to Air TV whereas EPL isn't, and depending on the AFL team you support then up to 75% of your games could be on FTA, plus you have the option of attending the games live or going to a pub to watch it (this is a different story at 2pm/7pm than it is at 2am/4am for PL games).

I know that personally the EPL (and previously UCL) is the main reason I have foxtel, and if they don't end up with the rights then I'll likely drop it and start using netflix and finding another way to watch the PL, whether that is Optus' service or otherwise.

Netflix and Stan hasn't really effected Foxtel because it is so cheap and 99.9% of people can afford to have it at $2.50 extra a week. It's ridiculous at how cheap it is.

It really isn't going to have a noticeable effect on Foxtel subscriptions at all, Foxtel have billion dollar deals with the AFL and NRL, they paid that because of the ratings those sports get, the fact they bid under 50m for the EPL means the ratings for that sport isn't very high, sure it's good for them to have and a good chance they still will but it's not going to hurt them that much if they don't.

You don't get it pantskyle people want to be spoon fed what they want to watch in the format they want even if it's not good business practice.

Optus will on-sell to Foxtel or have a channel avaialable on their networkd, and even the 1/2 that were going to follow through with their threats to leave Foxtel wont

You don't get it pantskyle people want to be spoon fed what they want to watch in the format they want even if it's not good business practice.

Optus will on-sell to Foxtel or have a channel avaialable on their networkd, and even the 1/2 that were going to follow through with their threats to leave Foxtel wont
Like it or not most people think like this, they don't give a s**t about Foxtel's business practice, it's a service provider and if someone else is providing that service in the format people do want then they will jump across to the service that is if its a competitive price. Of course this is yet to be seen.

It really isn't going to have a noticeable effect on Foxtel subscriptions at all, Foxtel have billion dollar deals with the AFL and NRL, they paid that because of the ratings those sports get, the fact they bid under 50m for the EPL means the ratings for that sport isn't very high, sure it's good for them to have and a good chance they still will but it's not going to hurt them that much if they don't.
I think they may be underestimating it and their loss in the silent auction shows that. The market is shifting with more competition in the form of Netflix/Stan/Fetch TV (with presumably more to come) as well as the enhancement of FTA TV with new digital and HD channels, and the sports monopoly was one way Foxtel had the market by the balls. They still have the ace in the hand (AFL/NRL) but they are rapidly losing important reasons why people subscribe to it.

Like it or not most people think like this, they don't give a s**t about Foxtel's business practice, it's a service provider and if someone else is providing that service in the format people do want then they will jump across to the service that is if its a competitive price. Of course this is yet to be seen.

I think they may be underestimating it and their loss in the silent auction shows that. The market is shifting with more competition in the form of Netflix/Stan/Fetch TV (with presumably more to come) as well as the enhancement of FTA TV with new digital and HD channels, and the sports monopoly was one way Foxtel had the market by the balls. They still have the ace in the hand (AFL/NRL) but they are rapidly losing important reasons why people subscribe to it.

I'm no Foxtel lover and I'd love for a legitimate challenger to come along and make them take actual notice but I'm just not convinced it'll happen anytime soon.

i think it will soon. like said, i wont be losing my sub cos i pay for it with my parents, but foxtel's model is getting more and more outdated by the day. netflix, stan etc are new to the australian market, unless you were already accessing the american one. foxtel are incredibly expensive for what you actually get, but it's the convenience of having much of the stuff in one place, especially sport.

people should be ringing up and demanding discounts regardless, the premier league is a big drawcard for the sports pack, no matter the numbers. not everyone watches the games live, etc etc. but in the future people will be unable to further justify paying for foxtel if they continue to lose programming.

i think it will soon. like said, i wont be losing my sub cos i pay for it with my parents, but foxtel's model is getting more and more outdated by the day. netflix, stan etc are new to the australian market, unless you were already accessing the american one. foxtel are incredibly expensive for what you actually get, but it's the convenience of having much of the stuff in one place, especially sport.

people should be ringing up and demanding discounts regardless, the premier league is a big drawcard for the sports pack, no matter the numbers. not everyone watches the games live, etc etc. but in the future people will be unable to further justify paying for foxtel if they continue to lose programming.

I'm the same, I'll probably keep it for now, but atm I have foxtel in 2 rooms, lounge downstairs, bedroom upstairs so I can watch the EPL of an evening while lying in bed.

We'll be moving into a single story joint soon so the extra room is def gonna go regardless, and possibly the sports package as well and just sign up for AFL season pass (as the AFL would be the only reason why I'd have the sports package) and watch the AFL on my computer & in my own time, so that'll be at least $50 a month they'll be missing out from me.

As a company goes it is a piece of s**t that actually doesn't care about existing customers. They've personally have ****ed me around several times in the last week during my moving house period.

I've got dodgy Sky, downstairs for 3-4 months and just sorted it upstairs a few days ago. Set me back about £50 one off each time, after paying £50-90 a month to Murdoch over the years that seems like a good deal to me.

Had a bloke from Sky ring up the other trying to convince me to come back to Sky, I didnt realise until after the call that I had SSN on in the background. Hope he didnt hear. Oops.

I've got dodgy Sky, downstairs for 3-4 months and just sorted it upstairs a few days ago. Set me back about £50 one off each time, after paying £50-90 a month to Murdoch over the years that seems like a good deal to me.

Had a bloke from Sky ring up the other trying to convince me to come back to Sky, I didnt realise until after the call that I had SSN on in the background. Hope he didnt hear. Oops.

The platinum package here for Foxtel is around $130 I think, it's then * all to add extra boxes.

It's so badly overprices. I just got it with the Foxtel Hub internet out of ease and the price is $208 a month, and I don't even get a new box, have to re-use an older one from my current address.

They also don't offer any deals at all if you are an existing customer looking to continue with them, they are currently doing a first month free deal for new customers, I asked as an existing customer moving house could I also get it, they said no it's for new customers only. I replied with so I should cancel foxtel and wait a week and come back as a new customer? The lady at least realised it was stupid of them. Still didn't let me have it though.

The platinum package here for Foxtel is around $130 I think, it's then **** all to add extra boxes.

It's so badly overprices. I just got it with the Foxtel Hub internet out of ease and the price is $208 a month, and I don't even get a new box, have to re-use an older one from my current address.

They also don't offer any deals at all if you are an existing customer looking to continue with them, they are currently doing a first month free deal for new customers, I asked as an existing customer moving house could I also get it, they said no it's for new customers only. I replied with so I should cancel foxtel and wait a week and come back as a new customer? The lady at least realised it was stupid of them. Still didn't let me have it though.
From my experience with Foxtel the sales people have no authority to give out deals to existing customers, you have to tell them you want to cancel it and get put through to the cancellations staff who seem to be free to give discounts and deals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that Internet / satellite or cable based dodgy sky you have?

Do you still have a TV license or do you evade the license :)

You want a month's free Foxtel because you happen to be moving house?

I would have liked access to that deal. I am uncontacted and was undecided.

My point was I could have got the deal if I canceled and then called back a few days later.

My point was I could have got the deal if I canceled and then called back a few days later.

Not real smart by them. Normally there's a clause saying "if you've held a Foxtel subscription in the last 'x' months..."

Although not really surprised now I think of it.

Not real smart by them. Normally there's a clause saying "if you've held a Foxtel subscription in the last 'x' months..."

Although not really surprised now I think of it.
Fairly smart. I'm one of those people that will make the threats to cancel but won't actually do it.

I'm a bitch.

It's all down to their marketing strategy. Retention is not as important as getting new leads for potential customers.

You're already paying, they want Joe Bloggs whose not to pay up too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The platinum package here for Foxtel is around $130 I think, it's then **** all to add extra boxes.

I've heard bad reviews on their internet and congestion during peak periods. May make streaming an issue for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back