TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

I've heard bad reviews on their internet and congestion during peak periods. May make streaming an issue for you.
It's just Telstra.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
I've heard bad reviews on their internet and congestion during peak periods. May make streaming an issue for you.

I've had it since launch and for the distance I am from the exchange the speed is excellent. Even the Telstra technician that installed it for me was stunned.

Foxtel is easily better than FTA for AFL, you get to see every game live with no ads.
... In HD as well if you get the Hd sports channels which we upgraded too around March.

NRL yes. AFL no - FTA coverage is better than Foxtel. It wouldn't bother me one bit if I didn't have access to fox footy. I see plenty of the Hawks on FTA.
Wait until the Hawks drop away then you'll see more games being placed on Fox instead.

AFL supporters of the lesser Melbourne teams would need Fox as their teams wouldn't be FTA as often. Out of interest how many games would spooners Carlton be on Fox next year?

They're not going to pay what you'd assume would be hundreds of millions maybe even a billion (of the 2.508bn deal) if it wasn't going to be their drawcard or major selling point, the fact they've more than likely forked out that much suggests to me that demand for AFL content even on pay station Fox would be quite high, much higher than the EPL.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Not doubting that there is more demand for footy on fox. Just that FTA is as good as what is offered on fox.

I'd be happy to forgo fox footy on my foxtel account if it meant getting a discount.

Also there's AFL season pass.

EPL on the other hand is available on foxtel only (in a reliable quality format).

It is only available on Fox at present, doesn't make it Foxtel's biggest selling point.

Almost everyone in this thread follows EPL, almost everyone on this site follows AFL. There's the difference between the two.

FTA footy is good but pails in comparison to Fox. No ads, HD, less floggy commentary, better football programs during the week. The FTA coverage of AFL is on weekends, Fox Footy is all week long which would attract quite a few footy nuts.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
i dont know if it still happens here cos lolfta but they used to have the crows/port games at the very least on a pretty length delay. the afternoon games used to have half time for the 6 news which would then tell you who won. and then you got to watch the second half.

it's just night and day for people who dont follow the big victorian clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not doubting that there is more demand for footy on fox. Just that FTA is as good as what is offered on fox.

I'd be happy to forgo fox footy on my foxtel account if it meant getting a discount.

Also there's AFL season pass.

EPL on the other hand is available on foxtel only (in a reliable quality format).
Lol. No.

How can a couple of standard definition footy games ever be as good as all games in HD and live without adds?

It's like you know you're wrong but feel so deep into being wrong that you are trying to save face.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
It's all down to their marketing strategy. Retention is not as important as getting new leads for potential customers.

You're already paying, they want Joe Bloggs whose not to pay up too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Costs them far less to retain a customer who is cancelling than to sign up a new customer. Thats why cancellation staff offer discounts / upgrades

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
Costs them far less to retain a customer who is cancelling than to sign up a new customer. Thats why cancellation staff offer discounts / upgrades
Yeah but that's not the marketing teams job or objective.

Usually companies would see which customers are nearly at the end of their contract and might offer something to retain them.

Matt Stevic

Privileged White Cis Male Scumbag
Oct 29, 2012
Maryborough VIC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels, Arsenal, The Exers
Whatever, with FTA it's free, 4-5 games per week including the Hawks most of the time. If the Hawks game isn't on I can just walk down to the pub and watch it there. Up here the footy's in HD, don't know why you southerners don't get it in HD. Don't mind watching a few ads, rather that than sticking money in the pocket of the man who single handedly destroyed rugby league.

I don't see the point of getting Foxtel for AFL.

Edit: NRL FTA coverage sucks (there are periods in the year where all three games are delayed), so that's a whole different story.

Whatever, with FTA it's free, 4-5 games per week including the Hawks most of the time. If the Hawks game isn't on I can just walk down to the pub and watch it there. Up here the footy's in HD, don't know why you southerners don't get it in HD. Don't mind watching a few ads, rather that than sticking money in the pocket of the man who single handedly destroyed rugby league.

I don't see the point of getting Foxtel for AFL.

Edit: NRL FTA coverage sucks (there are periods in the year where all three games are delayed), so that's a whole different story.

I think this season it was only the second Friday night game which was delayed, the Sunday game was shown live on Channel 9.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back