Drugs/doping in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I for one am looking forward to playing the Launceston Bombers next year.

Surely the AFL would not be able to bail them out once the significant financial obligations of fines and law suits bankrupt the club along with sponsors and members abandoning the club. Even if only a handful of players are banned they would still be ****ed.

It doesn't bring me any joy but surely if found guilty of doping the club is gone. The penalty would have to be so harsh that no club would even consider taking such action again and really only the death of a big club would have the necessary impact.

I think the important consideration is that the AFL doesn't allow the big clubs to try and fill the void left, North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs should be the ones to fight over the scraps in the Western suburbs.

EDIT: Also Goddard if your reading this you're welcome to come home, no hard feelings.

Last edited:
If you still think Essendon will die or be killed as a result of this ASADA stuff, then you haven't been paying attention to Essendon supporters this last 12 months. They'll seriously storm AFL house with pitchforks if something like that happened.

Essendon supporters won't let their club die, even if by their actions they condoned the reasons why they should be killed off.

If you still think Essendon will die or be killed as a result of this ASADA stuff, then you haven't been paying attention to Essendon supporters this last 12 months. They'll seriously storm AFL house with pitchforks if something like that happened.

Essendon supporters won't let their club die, even if by their actions they condoned the reasons why they should be killed off.
I don't think it is likely that they'll get killed off only that if they are guilty and the AFL didn't protect them it would be inevitable.
Of course the AFL will protect them from the worst of it, it'll be interest free loans that never get paid back ect.

My guess is Essendon are leaking themselves so that they can claim that they have been 'tried by media' and have not had a fair opportunity to present a defence.
If I was Essendon, I'd be leaking myself as well, considering what is probably about to happen to them.

If I was Essendon, I'd be leaking myself as well, considering what is probably about to happen to them.

Saad inadvertenly has a drink containing a banned substance, & is given an 18 month ban..Essendon players were part of a "systematic" injecting of supplements/banned substances.. Not one player/official has yet to receive a suspension from ASADA/WADA, though some players have either publicly accepted to the usage or admitted it to ASADA investigators..

I can't imagine WADA allowing the Essendon FC, to behave in this manner without some level of repercussions..The problem is, the AFL as part of their broadcast rights has to provide X amount of matches over the course of the season..Because of this reason, is it any wonder no player/s have been suspended or brought before the tribunal..It's a massive conflict of interest for the AFL..

"Alternatively, ASADA may already have sufficient information on Essendon. One high ranking doping official said in October that ASADA already had sufficient evidence to issue infraction notices.
When I put the question why Dank had not been summoned, the answer was, ''They probably have enough without him''.

Andruska's evidence before the Senate hints at both codes possibly being issued with show-cause letters. She said, ''We have briefs that we are preparing right now … and issue show-cause letters and take matters through the ADRVP and other tribunals as the process proceeds''.
Her plural with ''tribunals'' suggests both the AFL and NRL could be asked to convene hearings, provided the ADRVP agrees there is sufficient evidence.
Andruska told the Senate hearing that the appointment of retired Federal Court judge Garry Downes earlier this year was designed to accelerate the process from investigation to hearings.
ASADA staff probably have up to 40 briefs involving everyone in the AFL and NRL investigations, with Mr Downes dealing with them on a case-by-case basis. He will determine which briefs proceed to the ADRVP and which ones don't. It is remotely possible the whole saga will be dispatched to the too-hard basket. The players and officials with no case to answer are likely never to be revealed.
Similarly, the ADRVP will address each brief it receives, meaning they will follow, as former ASADA chief Richard Ings says, the ''cab rank theory'' where the first taxi in line heads to the AFL or NRL tribunal.
Assuming Dank is one of the taxis, he must first call in at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal before he heads to the Federal Court. But he seems determined to reach that destination, even if it involves a bizarre detour to Washington. ''The best way to beat City Hall is to win the battle of Capitol Hill,'' he said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/asada-may-be-hedging-its-bets-in-aflnrl-supplements-investigation-20140227-33mi5.html#ixzz2uap8zX4x

Nothing a bit of tear gas and a few tasers wouldn't fix.
Or they could hire the "Hells Angels " for security.

Nothing a bit of tear gas and a few tasers wouldn't fix.
Or they could hire the "Hells Angels " for security.
Dick Pratt used to hire the Angels in the old days for "business reasons"..

Essendon need their right whack, I don't buy any of their excuses..
What a soapie last year, with the AFL hell bent on protecting the brand, & pushing to avoid player suspension..The Dons were in complete denial, Hird was pissing in the ear of Robbo & Co..
Whilst across at Fairfax & ASADA, somebody with a liking for souvlaki was whispering sweet nothings in their ear..
FFS hand out the infraction notices, & dish out suspensions to the Senior Coach & Dank for a decade..
We've all seen the txt messages..
Once again this is old ground, but it's all there in black & white..

On March 9, they reportedly had the following exchange:

Hird: "Good work today mate, the boys were up and about, we have a lot to work with.
Dank: "IVs start next week and Thymosin with Uniquinon. We will start to see some real effects.
Then between March 27-28:
Dank: "That is the IV list that will be completed by Wednesday night.
Hird: "Good work mate, (name deleted) rang me tonight and said how good he felt after he saw you."

On April 3, Dank detailed more substances:
"We have cerebrolysin, we will re-oxygenate and re-circulate the brain. We will also be getting Solcoseryl."
Also in April:
Dank: "All IV and injections completed.
Hird: "Great work mate, it would be a great effort to have them feeling fresh for Anzac Day."
On May 11, Dank talks about an unspecified project.

"financials ready for you and David for AOD project.
These financials cover all possible revenue streams, where the project applies."

Former ASADA chairman Richard Ings said the Bombers could be in trouble if the players were given intravenous treatments.
"(They) are somewhat troubling, particularly the discussion about intravenous use of substances," Ingsa said.
"We need to understand there are banned substances, but there are also banned methods.

"The use of intravenous injections could be potentially such a banned method."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-11/hird-given-drug-report

What frustrates me is, but for money and power, this would be an open and shut case. It would be simple. It's only the money and power of Essendon that makes this complicated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does nobody else think the players may be trying to bring this about swiftly?

Jobe already had one crack at it...

Essendon in crisis as players set to be named in banned drugs inquiry

Essendon has called a crisis meeting of 10 senior players warning them that they would be named publicly for having taken potentially banned drugs.
Furious that confidentiality agreements had been broken and devastated their players would be subjected to further scrutiny, Bombers staff were also contacting four former Essendon players who told investigators they believed they had taken the drugs.
The players told ASADA and AFL investigators last year they believed they had been injected with Thymosin, AOD-9604 or both.
In a letter seen by Fairfax media and expected to be issued to Essendon members, chairman Paul Little addressed his disappointment about the naming of players.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendon-in-crisis-as-players-set-to-be-named-in-banned-drugs-inquiry-20140301-33szw.html#ixzz2uiXzhhsd

The whole Essendon drugs saga, is like watching an accident played out on television in slow motion, dreadful, but you can't take your eyes off it.

Moving forward Essendon players are publicly named, players and coaches to be asked to show cause, club instigating legal action, players before the tribunal, players suspended, club bringing forward more legal action and all played out publicly in the media, all with an army of those employed on one side, or the other to show, or hide the facts in this sorry affair. And there will be Essendon with suspended players, still wanting Hird to continue. If he is suspended for two years, will they keep paying him and then return him a further two years later?

If Essendon supporters thought that 2013 was as bad as it gets and that 2014 is the year to move forward, they are sadly mistaken. You somehow suspect that they will look back on 2013 as actually quite good, with what is ahead of them this year.

Punters right, They have the 2nd biggest supporter base in the League. The club will survive this.
I think its important to reflect on what this whole s**t storm has taught everyone and I would say that its quite obvious to everyone now that you have to get the right people in place at your club.
Get that wrong and the club can be in big trouble.
People talk about Dank and Hird and the Weapon, but decisions start at the top and filter down. Execs and Heads of Departments put people in place and choose their level of involvment or non involvement.
As much as I don't like the AFL having so much power over our exec decisions. I'm actually glad there getting involved now, they'll be diligent in their processes.

What's frustrating me is that the players being named and shamed are those who were actually helping ASADA, and being transparent in their interviews, rather than those who kept details to themselves.

30+ players were supposed to be injected, right? So surely more than these 14 were given AOD or Thymosin.

By no means am I saying that the players who admitted to taking drugs should walk away freely, but it doesn't send a good a message to players about helping ASADA with their investigations if the only players who punished, by the media or otherwise, are the players who did just that.

What's frustrating me is that the players being named and shamed are those who were actually helping ASADA, and being transparent in their interviews, rather than those who kept details to themselves.

30+ players were supposed to be injected, right? So surely more than these 14 were given AOD or Thymosin.

By no means am I saying that the players who admitted to taking drugs should walk away freely, but it doesn't send a good a message to players about helping ASADA with their investigations if the only players who punished, by the media or otherwise, are the players who did just that.

Those players will still get 2 years as they've as good as admitted they took banned substances, the responsibility to ensure that what they were taking was allowed was with them, not knowing is not an excuse. The best they should be hoping for is that they gave the investigators enough info to bury someone else which could see them get a downgrade in their own suspension. I wouldn't want to be one of the players that was injected and didn't fess up because if there is any evidence they are in an even worse position.

Not looking good for Essendon if ASADA have 14 confessions even half that many should see the club being de-registered seeing as it was a club program.

1425972_Poppy_jpg01d1bf7b9b95ad7ad40f18a3ae803768

Remove this Banner Ad

Back