Drugs/doping in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

More of the same from Essendon. They huff and puff and then get beaten down by courts, appeals, AFL, ASADA, yet they do not alter their game plan. More of the same, with their normal arrogance and disregard for others, that was the cause of them being in this situation.

Their change of mind would not be Essendon seeing the errors of their ways, but more likely the AFL pointing out the realities of their contract with the AFL regarding fielding teams etc in their nominated competitions. They would have had further sanctions imposed by the AFL if they chose to boycott the NAB games, including fines, loss of premiership points and / or further draft picks. Granted Essendon are stupid, but they seem to prefer to play the tough character for their mindless members, who don't seem to mind continual humiliating back downs or defeats.

Interesting days ahead for AFL as we know it ,if they make penalties light the outcry from supporters of 17
Clubs will be enormous and people will vote with their feet in Not attending Essendon home games or make the penalties in accordance with rules of 2 years suspension and this will hurt attendance returns of the competition.

Get it wrong and the game will suffer big time.

Drugs have impacted all sport let's see the AFL can return the confidence of families who are directing their kids into the sport.

So, Essendon has 34 players still that will be effected? If they've got only 45ish on their books, that means they'll have, what, TEN players who are eligible to play, including rookies? I can't help thinking I'm missing something. Do they even have 22 players that will be eligible to play?

So, Essendon has 34 players still that will be effected? If they've got only 45ish on their books, that means they'll have, what, TEN players who are eligible to play, including rookies? I can't help thinking I'm missing something. Do they even have 22 players that will be eligible to play?

That was 34 back in 2012. Since then 17 have been delisted/retired or moved onto other clubs - Monfries, Ryder and Crameri.

I think they have 17 with suspensions hanging over their heads at the moment.

That was 34 back in 2012. Since then 17 have been delisted/retired or moved onto other clubs - Monfries, Ryder and Crameri.

I think they have 17 with suspensions hanging over their heads at the moment.
Daddy_Barrels , you love doing 22s. What is a best 22 for the Dons, if the suspensions take place?

Daddy_Barrels , you love doing 22s. What is a best 22 for the Dons, if the suspensions take place?
Hard to say because they won't name the players who are in the gun...

I suppose you could make some educated guesses and say their VFL players (minus Hardingham) and the last 2 years of draftees are ok... Plus trade-ins, and we know the Zaharakis refused to take anything, so;

FB: Gwilt ~ Freezer ~ Marigliani
HB: Laverde ~ McKernan ~ AHeppell
CR: Polkinghorne ~ Coghlan ~ Cooney
HF: Langford ~ Muller ~ ZMerrett
FF: Chapman ~ Ambrose ~ Giles
RK: Tagliabue ~ Goddard ~ Zaharakis
IC: Heavyside ~ Schroeder ~ McLeod ~ Long

Last edited:

I suppose you could make some educated guesses and say their VFL players and the last 2 years of draftees are ok... Plus trade-ins, and we know the Zaharakis refused to take anything, so;

HB: Laverde ~ McKernan ~
IC: Heavyside ~ Schroeder ~ McLeod ~ AHeppell

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l-in-asada-limbo/story-fni5f6kv-1226842446681

The Sunday Herald Sun this morning revealed that 12 AFL stars including 10 Bombers risk bans after telling anti-doping investigators they thought they had been injected with peptides.

Club captain Jobe Watson, Dyson Heppell and Michael Hurley are among 10 current Essendon players the anti-doping authority says told its investigators they suspected they had been injected with either Thymosin, AOD-9604 or both.

The others are Tom Bellchambers, Jake Melksham, Heath Hocking, Michael Hibberd, Kyle Hardingham, Tayte Pears and Alex Browne.

Stewart Crameri, now at the Western Bulldogs, Scott Gumbleton, now at Fremantle, and delisted Bombers Ricky Dyson and Sam Lonergan also told ASADA they believed or suspected they had been injected with the drugs while at Essendon in 2012.

I suppose you could make some educated guesses and say their VFL players (minus Hardingham) and the last 2 years of draftees are ok... Plus trade-ins, and we know the Zaharakis refused to take anything, so;

HB: Laverde ~ McKernan ~ AHeppell
IC: Heavyside ~ Schroeder ~ McLeod ~ Long

You've excluded players drafted in 2012. Danks was gone by then. On that basis, you should include Daniher.

Cheers.

That would make it;

FB: Gwilt ~ Hooker ~ Gleeson
HB: Baguley ~ Fletcher ~ Dempsey
CR: Stanton ~ JMerrett ~ Myers
HF: Ambrose ~ Daniher ~ Winderlich
FF: Chapman ~ Carlisle ~ McKernan
RK: Giles ~ Goddard ~ Zaharakis
IC: Kommer ~ Howlett ~ Cooney ~ Edwards...

Plus others... Pretty decent side actually; I don't know what theyre whining about.

I think those were just the 10 that were named. Assume Zaharakis and 1-2 other players from their 2012 playing list were all on it? Then, add in 2012 draftees/trades, etc. & onwards. I think the newspapers have said 17 of the 34 still remain on Essendon's list.

Cheers.

That would make it;

Plus others... Pretty decent side actually; I don't know what theyre whining about.
You're right it's actually not too bad, the problem is if they're banned for say half a season. Once you get 3 or 4 injuries it'd go downhill pretty quickly I think

You're right it's actually not too bad, the problem is if they're banned for say half a season. Once you get 3 or 4 injuries it'd go downhill pretty quickly I think
image.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers.

That would make it;

They are whining because by naming an alternative team to the drugged ones all the world will know tge names of the drugged ones. Even thou we either knowor guess tge drugged ones don't like it

Interesting days ahead for AFL as we know it ,if they make penalties light the outcry from supporters of 17
Clubs will be enormous and people will vote with their feet in Not attending Essendon home games or make the penalties in accordance with rules of 2 years suspension and this will hurt attendance returns of the competition.

Get it wrong and the game will suffer big time.

Drugs have impacted all sport let's see the AFL can return the confidence of families who are directing their kids into the sport.

I'm not so sure it'll be all 17. It seemed the overall sentiment on the Port board was that they don't care what happens with Essendon, lenient or strict, they just want Paddy Ryder to not miss any games.

I am interested in that the article suggests the AFL was still very interested in finding a way to protect the identity of those who have had infraction notices. Why? The players lost their argument, they are now considered cheats.

Whilst under notice, and where relevant awaiting B-sample result, you might be proven innocent. Hence it is not fair for your situation to be public knowledge, as your image may be adversely affected by a wrongful accusation.
But once you are charged with the infraction, you are officially a cheat, and the names no longer need protecting. Again, this is in the WADA guidelines, they should be following this. Keep the names secret (as much as was feasible) until it was decided if they cheated. That's now been confirmed, so go ahead and name and shame them.

Cheers.

That would make it;

I don't think that's quite right, as realistically it was 34 in total, that were on the 44-man list over a period of at least one season, maybe more.
The only guarantees are that 2012 draftees onwards should be unaffected, new recruits since then, and Zaharakis seems to be ok. I am sure I read somewhere that Fletcher supposedly turned it down too, based on it being unlikely to make any difference at the point in his career.

So think it's likely Stanton and Dempsey for example are going to be amongst those sitting out. We don't know for sure, but its highly likely.

However this makes me angry also - once its confirmed they cheated, there's no longer a requirement to keep the names secret. They are only protected during the period where it can potentially be considered a wrongful accusation. That time has passed.

I am interested in that the article suggests the AFL was still very interested in finding a way to protect the identity of those who have had infraction notices. Why? The players lost their argument, they are now considered cheats.

Whilst under notice, and where relevant awaiting B-sample result, you might be proven innocent. Hence it is not fair for your situation to be public knowledge, as your image may be adversely affected by a wrongful accusation.
But once you are charged with the infraction, you are officially a cheat, and the names no longer need protecting. Again, this is in the WADA guidelines, they should be following this. Keep the names secret (as much as was feasible) until it was decided if they cheated. That's now been confirmed, so go ahead and name and shame them.
I really disliked Saad being outed the day his A test came back positive. It may be somewhat of a formality but confirmation should requited 100% before any names are released at all and the media should be sueable for releasing medical information without consent.

Similar sentiment has been expressed in the past with cyclists. The loophole in it, is that its just an administrative process of a letter being sent, that is being confirmed. And as soon as the athlete mentions it, or governing body or anti-doping agency or similar, then it's already in the public domain and can be recited by the media along the lines of 'it is reported that', 'it is understood that', etc. Technically they're repeating that someone has suggested that someone was sent a letter that makes an accusation.
Crap, I know, but that's why they get away with it.

Essendon agrees to play in NAB Challenge using top-up players to replace players on 2012 list

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ers-on-2012-list/story-fni5f6kv-1227218197603
So after all of James ear flapping and Taaaania pursing her lips tighter than a gold fish's arse they are gonna play us after all .
LOL Essendon trying to stare down the AFL again.
Think those days are gone and the AFL have taken Jimmys balls out of Taaaania's handbag and Gillon is now squeezing them.

with all due respect... and to quote Alan Richardson, after the freo game last year

It is just one game

and a NAB challenge game at that... I can't believe so much has been made out of it.

The real stuff will be when this top-up happens in the real season. This is just the demo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back