Orlando Magic Supporter Clan - Dunk contest winners not welcome

Sep 21, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Was on the 76ers roster for a short period this season (ten day contract i think). Heard of him for the first time because of NBA 2k14.

Rebound and block machine. Leads the D-League in rebounds by over three.
Looking forward to seeing how Dedmon and Thomas contribute to the team during those 10-day contracts.

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
Ballarat via Melbourne via Hobart via Albury
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Albury Bandits, Orlando Magic
Wow. I hadn't been following much of the trade deadline and just jumped on here and saw the news. I always loved/hated Big Baby. He was great on our list but it's not the time to have him. He kind of frustrated me because he could play like an absolute champ some nights and other nights he would really be average. Did we only release him because we couldn't get a trade done?

All the best to him though for the future.

PyroCrow

Club Legend
Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Arsenal
Wow. I hadn't been following much of the trade deadline and just jumped on here and saw the news. I always loved/hated Big Baby. He was great on our list but it's not the time to have him. He kind of frustrated me because he could play like an absolute champ some nights and other nights he would really be average. Did we only release him because we couldn't get a trade done?

All the best to him though for the future.

Partly but it his cards were always going to be marked after the hotel keyboard incident. The new admin seems to have a "no dickheads" policy and I think they just really wanted to get him away from the kids as well and open up more mins for Andrew and Kyle. I love that we have an owner prepared to spend money in order for us to win, we'll be paying Glen $6 million over the next 2 years not to play for us (not to mention Gilbert etc.).

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Partly but it his cards were always going to be marked after the hotel keyboard incident. The new admin seems to have a "no dickheads" policy and I think they just really wanted to get him away from the kids as well and open up more mins for Andrew and Kyle. I love that we have an owner prepared to spend money in order for us to win, we'll be paying Glen $6 million over the next 2 years not to play for us (not to mention Gilbert etc.).

I've been under a rock. What was the keyboard incident?

Jan 15, 2006
Oz
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Baltimore Ravens
The Philadelphia 76ers, Orlando Magic and Utah Jazz have all offered their high lottery picks plus a veteran to move up to No. 1 in a deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Cavaliers aren't enamored by offers from the 76ers (Thad Young and the No. 3 pick) and Jazz (Derrick Favors and the No. 5 pick).

But the Magic offer of Arron Afflalo, along with the No. 4 and No. 12 pick is attractive to the Cavaliers.

The Cavaliers have strong interest in signing LeBron James and acquiring Afflalo would be seen as a strong move.

I'm not real keen on this. Who are we so desperate for that we need the #1 to guarantee it?

Sep 3, 2004
In a pineapple under the sea
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Magic, Vikings, All Blacks
The Philadelphia 76ers, Orlando Magic and Utah Jazz have all offered their high lottery picks plus a veteran to move up to No. 1 in a deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Cavaliers aren't enamored by offers from the 76ers (Thad Young and the No. 3 pick) and Jazz (Derrick Favors and the No. 5 pick).

But the Magic offer of Arron Afflalo, along with the No. 4 and No. 12 pick is attractive to the Cavaliers.

The Cavaliers have strong interest in signing LeBron James and acquiring Afflalo would be seen as a strong move.

I'm not real keen on this. Who are we so desperate for that we need the #1 to guarantee it?
Yeah I'm not a big fan of this. I'd rather we pick up a gun with the fourth pick anyway and get another quality player with pick 12.

Drumroe

Premiership Player
May 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Apparently you guys are interested in Greg Monroe, which makes absolutely no sense since he doesn't fit on your roster at all, offensively or defensively.

Sep 3, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
I always thought waiving someone meant you still had to include their salary in the cap. Am I wrong?
Quite possibly.

In this situation by waiving Jameer now the magic only have to pay him $2m, would have been $8m in a couple of weeks. May have been hard to find a team willing to trade for his $8m contract, and the player that they traded for may have had a contract larger that $2m. I guess this was the easiest way to part ways, and it allows Jameer to explore his options and find the best deal for himself.

At least it seems to be a positive split. Jameer doesn't appear to have any ill feeling towards the club.

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
Wonder if you guys plan on having Fournier play as a PG... The one area of his game I thought he struggled with this year. Got blocked a lot on the drive, was getting read far too easily.

Still, he certainly has the tools and has shown he can compete at the top level. Was well liked in Denver and everyone wishes him the best, much like they did AAA...

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Quite possibly.

In this situation by waiving Jameer now the magic only have to pay him $2m, would have been $8m in a couple of weeks. May have been hard to find a team willing to trade for his $8m contract, and the player that they traded for may have had a contract larger that $2m. I guess this was the easiest way to part ways, and it allows Jameer to explore his options and find the best deal for himself.

At least it seems to be a positive split. Jameer doesn't appear to have any ill feeling towards the club.

It's probably not in his nature to be angry at the Magic. The past decade has been really good for both parties. Just a shame it never worked out. Hope he does well and get a ring somewhere and/or comes back to us at the end of his career.

Sep 3, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
It's probably not in his nature to be angry at the Magic. The past decade has been really good for both parties. Just a shame it never worked out. Hope he does well and get a ring somewhere and/or comes back to us at the end of his career.
And gets a ring :)

Jan 15, 2006
Oz
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Baltimore Ravens
Echo the sentiments on Jameer. Sad to see him go but the right decision. Hopefully he gets a nice back-up position on a good team.

Apparently you guys are interested in Greg Monroe, which makes absolutely no sense since he doesn't fit on your roster at all, offensively or defensively.

We have zero true power forwards save for newly drafted Aaron Gordon. Why wouldn't he fit?

I'm not crash hot on him, but I can see why we're looking at him.

flaps

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Echo the sentiments on Jameer. Sad to see him go but the right decision. Hopefully he gets a nice back-up position on a good team.

We have zero true power forwards save for newly drafted Aaron Gordon. Why wouldn't he fit?

I'm not crash hot on him, but I can see why we're looking at him.
And his improvement has been pretty good.

Back