Other Ways To Watch AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who don't have Foxtel.

You can get a free subscription to AFL Live Pass (online streaming of the games - worth $90) by creating and filling an AFL fantasy league. You can add 10 'celebrity' teams, so you'd need 5 mates to join.

top-bottom.jpg

https://fantasy.afl.com.au

Pretty sweet deal! Pity the live pass is rubbish and absolutely useless if you live in the country and have crap as ADSL.

The Apple TV mirrors the stream to your Tv screen so you're not really watching it on your phone. If you have a good enough internet connection it actually looks pretty good.

You just need to make sure the phone is connected to your wifi so you don't use all of your phone data (apparently streaming through the AFL app doesn't use data for Telstra users though, it's free for them since it's part of BigPond).
I have the AFL app and watched many games last year. I was considering buying the Apple TV box and watch the footy via air-play from iPad to my TV via the Apple TV.

I've read you can no longer watch a game on your TV like this due to AFL rights with Telstra etc. Can anyone confirm ? There appears to be some posts in here indicating it can be done. It would save me watching on my iPad screen. Much prefer the TV.

I have the AFL app and watched many games last year. I was considering buying the Apple TV box and watch the footy via air-play from iPad to my TV via the Apple TV.

I've read you can no longer watch a game on your TV like this due to AFL rights with Telstra etc. Can anyone confirm ? There appears to be some posts in here indicating it can be done. It would save me watching on my iPad screen. Much prefer the TV.
I was able to do it all year last season. I can still watch replays on my Tv screen through the app and Apple Tv too. I obviously can't confirm the live feeds will still work yet but I am pretty confident they will.

I have it with Telstra and it's pretty bloody good in regional QLD. Only poor during pretty bad weather. I'd say it's an Optus issue.

Sounds like it is. Bloody annoying! Part of what makes the Live pass clunky is why it won't mirror. AFL are pricks like this. The stupid thing is, the easier you make it for people to watch, the bigger your market grows.

I was able to do it all year last season. I can still watch replays on my Tv screen through the app and Apple Tv too. I obviously can't confirm the live feeds will still work yet but I am pretty confident they will.

I'm pretty sure the live ones won't mirror. I couldn't do it last year when I tried at least. You've had it working like that?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been using the live app. I tried a few options on Android to make it work on my TV, but the quality was crap. Though it is good for watching on my phone as I am with Telstra.
Is the http://watchafl.afl.com.au/help a better quality than the live app? If so I might go that option as I already use a VPN for other things.

Youtube has a lot of old replays these days. Great to watch some 90s footy.
There's some excellent stuff, there are old finals, the ' final story' series, the old highlights compilations of 70s, 80s and 90s, Year of the Dog, all sorts of stuff.

If in Australia, I watch on Foxtel on ipad. My daughter has Foxtel and she is entitled to view on up to 5 other devices.
So I have her password and login and watch the games that I can't get to. Cost: zero for me.;)
If you have a family member or friend with foxtel and they are not using on all their other devices, ask them whether they are prepared to share.

Off memory the AFL channel isnt on this right?

I've been using the live app. I tried a few options on Android to make it work on my TV, but the quality was crap. Though it is good for watching on my phone as I am with Telstra.
Is the http://watchafl.afl.com.au/help a better quality than the live app? If so I might go that option as I already use a VPN for other things.
I'm not sure, I know the streaming resolutions on the http://watchafl.afl.com.au are up to 720p which would look very nice if you had a connection fast enough for it to stream at 3000kbps. I'm not sure what the max resolution is for the afl app to compare specs though.

I'm not sure, I know the streaming resolutions on the http://watchafl.afl.com.au are up to 720p which would look very nice if you had a connection fast enough for it to stream at 3000kbps. I'm not sure what the max resolution is for the afl app to compare specs though.

Thanks mate.

God I wish the AFL would have something like the NFL has. Their service is amazing.

No I watch AFL on it and the footy shows. Occasionally for some reason a game is not on but I can watch another one.

Great to know. Last time I tried (and this is probably over a year ago) it wasnt available. Thanks for letting me know.

So curious, if you are in a position to check... what is playing on there right now?

Last year I used to watch the games on those not so legal sports streaming sites but this year I am going to purchase the AFL international thing. I am not too technically savvy. Don't know about all this 720p megahetzie bit bite bandwidth stuff. I know we have fibre optic and it seems pretty fast so I am hoping it should be ok.
Any advice?

Last year I used to watch the games on those not so legal sports streaming sites but this year I am going to purchase the AFL international thing. I am not too technically savvy. Don't know about all this 720p megahetzie bit bite bandwidth stuff. I know we have fibre optic and it seems pretty fast so I am hoping it should be ok.
Any advice?

Have you had any issues using a VPN?

Great to know. Last time I tried (and this is probably over a year ago) it wasnt available. Thanks for letting me know.

So curious, if you are in a position to check... what is playing on there right now?
Sydney v Hawthorn GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back