News Otten re-signs for 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind this one! I probably would have gone with a 1 year deal but I suspect the deal is not much in terms of dollars even if it's across 2 years.

Yep. I'm fine with this. If Shaw is getting another deal as well it does make me wonder what chance M Talia has of coming here. Slim to none I'd say.

Kind of odd reading all this vitriol for a player who, when fit, is easily in our best 22. Versatile and athletic, great reader of the game. It was a long time ago but finished 2nd in the Rising Star ahead of guys like Beams, Ward, Hill (and Danger and Tex). If he can get his body right, will be like a new recruit for us. Capable of playing anywhere, we don't really have anyone else like him.

Short memories.

Don't disagree with you except for the athletic part. He's lost a lot of his athleticism thanks to two serious knee injuries.

Kind of odd reading all this vitriol for a player who, when fit, is easily in our best 22. Versatile and athletic, great reader of the game. It was a long time ago but finished 2nd in the Rising Star ahead of guys like Beams, Ward, Hill (and Danger and Tex). If he can get his body right, will be like a new recruit for us. Capable of playing anywhere, we don't really have anyone else like him.

Short memories.

Exactly.

Sorry I don't agree with this call. All likelihood Otten doesn't play any games next year with Hartigan, Talia, Shaw, Lever, Cheney, M.Talia/Hartley all more likely to take defensive spots, which is where Otten would be most likely to play. Love to be wrong but this seems like a mistake to me.
And if Hartley gets taken before we can draft him and Talia decided to go to Sydney? What then?

Plus, it's entirely possible that there's triggers on the 2nd year. Either way I doubt it's for a ton of $ and he's a guy we know we can chuck at either end of the ground if we need to.

Short memories.

Is he though?

Who does he replace?

Hartigan, Lever (at least for now - probably not for long), VB, Mackay, Lyons (not like-for-like, but would still do with a re-shuffle).

The only way he's replacing Hartigan is if opposition matchups allow it. He is not a key position defender.

I was actually pretty impressed with him as a forward when he played there. His set shot kicking was a bit iffy, but he seemed to show a natural sense of where to run as a forward. I just can't see where he gets a game up there at the moment. Hopefully he's working his arse off to get some burst pace. He's not going to have a high top speed, but if he can work on getting some power into his legs and a bit of acceleration, he's got enough football smarts about him to do something good with the ball. Wouldn't mind seeing him replace VB (out of the side) or Henderson (move up to the wing permanently) in the back line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Otten can also play forward. They may consider him as cover for Lynch, if he goes down. Scored 9 goals in the last 4 games of 2013. A long time ago, I know, but just saying...

rather play Dear or Shoota McGovern up forward in front of Otten if the opportunity arises

How the hell does Otten get a 2 year contract with those knees? Hope it was cheap otherwise this is another blunder from our list managers.

I personally think it's more of a verbal 1 + 1 deal, meaning if another serious injury or real bad form strike next season he'll more than likely walk away & retire.

Both him and Shaw need to be trialled in different positions next season for mine, need to offer a lot more variety if they're both staying on the list.

Not a fan of the two years as I'm not sure it's warranted. Why not sign him up for one and re-assess in a years time?

I feel like we've got too many 3rd tall defenders on our list without actually having proper KP depth -

Cheney
Kelly (possibly 4th defender, between the two positions I feel)
Lever
Otten
Shaw
Ramsey (used as a forward for the majority of the SANFL season so unsure how the club views him)

6 guys to fill 1 position in the side really (the above are capable of playing other roles, but more looking at their main role). When you compare the depth we've got for the 3rd tall compared to that of Talia/Hartigan, I just don't quite like it. Lever/Shaw/Otten would all be called upon to fill in for Talia/Hartigan if they went down, but I'd like 1 more real KP defender and one less 3rd tall myself.

Hopefully Otten can get back into good shape, will be interesting to see where he's training this off-season (if the new coach lets you guys in to see the team train this year!) as his name has been floated for a few positions.

Last edited:
I personally think it's more of a verbal 1 + 1 deal, meaning if another serious injury or real bad form strike next season he'll more than likely walk away & retire.

Both him and Shaw need to be trialled in different positions next season for mine, need to offer a lot more variety if they're both staying on the list.
Much like Petrenko played a famed quarter in defence v Hawks one day, Shaw also swung forward once IIRC and did a very good job. I could certainly see him swinging forward.

I'm trying to see a positive in Otten's 2 years, on top of Shaw (who I rate higher than most do)…maybe we will be taking a defensive page out of the Weagles playbook with lots of utility sized defenders all zoning and chopping out.

All of Lever, Cheney, Hartigan, Shaw, Smith, Hampton, Laird (plays much taller as 3rd man up/loose than he is), Ramsay, McGovern, Otten, Henderson (though I wouldn't put him back there) can fit the ball.

Talia as the defensive tall stopper and Brown as the small stopper + a mix of the above.

It appears as though there were people who felt Otten (or maybe one of Otten or Shaw) should have been delisted. Realistically, that was never going to happen, especially considering the fact that it is looking more and more like two of Kerridge, CEY, Grigg, Lyons and M Crouch will be at new clubs next year. Brodie Martin was and is always going to be delisted. If anything, this re-signing gets us closer to our collective dream of Wright being shown the door.

I understand the concern over the 2 year deal considering the injury history, but it really isn't that bad. As has been touched on, Otten will be on next to no coin. He provides more solid depth than players at many clubs. He won't be playing unless there are injuries. People bang on as though clubs like Hawthorn, West Coast, Freo etc only ever re-sign A-Grade studs. All 3 of those lists have mature aged blokes on them that have shown as much, if not less than Otten.

The alternative to re-signing Otten was taking an 18 year old in the 4th round of this year's draft (we are not targeting defenders in the first couple of rounds). From all reports, it may go down as the worst 4th round in history.

The alternative to signing him for two was obviously signing him for one. Personally, if it's Round 1, 2017, and 2 of Lever, Cheney, Hartigan and Shaw are injured, I'd be far more comfortable bringing in Otten to fill a gap than an untried 18-19 year old 3rd or 4th rounder. It certainly doesn't appear as though we're bringing in a key defender / third tall via trade this year (I'm sure we enquired about Carlisle and Rory Thompson but one is staying in Melbourne and the other re-signed with Gold Coast), and despite the links to Hartley, we certainly can't guarantee he'll be available at our 2nd or 3rd selection in the draft this year with other clubs sniffing too.

Not an exciting signature by any stretch, but not a bad list decision either in my book.

Brodie Martin, Anthony Wilson and Jack Osborne have not been offered new contracts

http://www.afc.com.au/adelaidecrows/news/2015-09-30/crows-announce-list-changes?vgnextrefresh=1
Martin prob couldn't argue too much except for the fact spuds way worse than him are still on the list. Like Otten his ceiling has been severely limited by injury. Bugger he wasn't given more opportunity…in fact he was best 22 before falling ill this year. If I were another club I'd definitely look at picking him up as a DFA…let's hope it's not Port and he comes out and smokes us in the Showdown to prove his point!

Wilson and Osborn no brainers. Osborn just too much of a dinosaur at ground level despite straight line speed and his marking not dominant enough for a 205cm player. Wilson was so outside he made Hendo look like Leigh Matthews so would've struggled to get more than 10 touches at AFL and his skill wasn't good enough to make up for it.

As long as he's not being paid too much, I can see him as a useful depth player in 2016, perhaps beyond too. We need depth. If he can force his way into the best 22, then good on him. But if he's on significant money and were to spud it up next year, then I have a problem. A one-year deal would have been preferable.

It's a two year contract, not a 1+1 one.

As long as he's not being paid too much, I can see him as a useful depth player in 2016, perhaps beyond too. We need depth. If he can force his way into the best 22, then good on him. But if he's on significant money and were to spud it up next year, then I have a problem. A one-year deal would have been preferable.
In before $600tten

Remove this Banner Ad

Back