Opinion Our 2015 Fixture

Fantastic draw. Double ups against Gold Coast and Brisbane might be trickier than they appear on face value given natural improvement, but overall very happy. Thankfully, we've also got a few home games against good teams - the gripe I had about Port's draw this year.

There's really no excuse not to make finals this year, but ultimately it's going to be a transition year with a new gameplan. Getting a few winning runs and some confidence will do these boys a world of good and give them some optimism going forward.

Got to make the most of it!
How'd we go first year under Blight?
Under Craig?
Under Sanderson?

I think the effect of a coach in the first year is overstated.
If you have the talent (which I think we do) the sky is the limit.

Bosley

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 9, 2008
Port Hedland
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide United, QPR
If I am going to go to one game all year I want to be at vs Hawthorn on Thursday June 18.

I missed the 1st ever game due to other sporting commitments and have always regretted it. This will go some way towards redeeming ..... but only if we win by 86 points and Bone gets crunched by 2 Hawks fans on the way out :)

Iron

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Under Craig?
Under Sanderson?

Fair comment, but I think Sanderson had a gameplan that worked on pure enthusiasm and contested possession. I don't think Walsh will be doing the same thing, I think he'll be building for something more longer lasting. This, I believe, will take more time to click. When it does, fingers crossed it kick starts something exciting.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
Fair comment, but I think Sanderson had a gameplan that worked on pure enthusiasm and contested possession. I don't think Walsh will be doing the same thing, I think he'll be building for something more longer lasting. This, I believe, will take more time to click. When it does, fingers crossed it kick starts something exciting.
Robert Shaws first year? haha

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I think it's deeper than that. If we turn it around, our attendances might go up 5%-10%.

If Port turns things around, they go up 150%.

When your whole business model is based on growth, even if we go 22-0 and beat Hawthorn by 200 points in the Granny, we're still going to get whatever the AFL wants to give us because our crowds are usually there.

That's just how it is.

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
So I bought a 3 game Port membership this season, and I now receive their emails;

5 minutes ago, an email hit my inbox about their draw.

Gotta give them credit, their marketing and promotions department are very sharp at present.

Considering that when the fixture went live at about 9.33 this morning, the Crows' Twitter linked to a PDF that was unavailable, then when they uploaded it it was the wrong one, then they finally got it uploaded at about 9.45. It might seem minor, but it's sloppy, particularly with so may Twitter followers and with so much preparation time. It's not like they didn't know when the announcement time was.

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
On a whole I'm optimistic with this fixture. A lot of tough teams at home which helps.

What I am worried about though, is playing GC and Lions twice, 2 teams that could be significantly better than where they were at last year. Port will always be a 50-50 game regardless of ladder position or form. Eagles...? Mehh I don't see them as a threat at all really. They've had a seriously bad run with injuries last few years, but I still don't rate them on the whole. As for north, we have a reasonable record against them, so I'm happy we are playing them twice out of all other finalists.

Gold Coast and Brisbane will undoubtedly improve, but we need to improve too. There's not point playing soft teams anyway.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.

Yep think more Gombaou than Blight as far as immediate results. We will need patience.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Gold Coast and Brisbane will undoubtedly improve, but we need to improve too. There's not point playing soft teams anyway.

True this, and I am very much expecting us to be meter also. But out of all the "lower" teams, I think those 2 personally could be potential dark horses to improve, not bolt into finals, but be stronger side than they were last year and cause a few upsets. Just may not be as easy as people think looking at a quick glance.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Under Craig?
Under Sanderson?

He's got more than a full pre-season to get the guys thinking his way, drilled his way and playing his way.

We've got a very talented list (although our depth is non-existent), the majority of which I think will respond to Walsh's methods and personality.

We should make the 8, really, with that draw, we should make the 6 (we almost did this year, with a mediocre draw and a crap coach).

Simmo28

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2014
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
North will be a very tough first game, make no mistake.
Collingwood won't be easy.
We lost to Melbourne at home this year.
Should account for Bulldogs.
Port the only easy win. :p

Collingwood on way down I think, should be a win.
Was at Melbourne game... very disappointing but I expect better game day coaching from our new coach.

Back