Opinion Our 2015 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Would've liked a couple more friday nights or games at the MCG but otherwise its tough to complain too much.

Gotta laugh at all the posters pencilling in wins - haven't you watched us play over the last 5 years??

I'm optimisitic that we may have a real coach on our hands that can take us the next step but there is a lot of water to go under the bridge yet.

Pretty crappy list of teams we play at home - again.

Last season was a shocker - GWS, Melbourne, GC, Bulldogs, Saints, WC, Norf.

Not much better this season just swapping Brisbane for GWS and Fremantle for the Bulldogs.

Would like to see Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood, Sydney along with the Hawks and the Cats. Hell even just Carlton at home would be nice.

Draw looks nice early on and should give Phil plenty of time to settle in. If we can't make finals with the draw we have, we don't deserve to play in them.

Looks like the AFL are still trying to look after Essendon with the fixture.

They play Hawthorn and Sydney the first two rounds so if they get a NRL type ban (3 games) no harm done. Surely that can't be a coincidence playing the grand finalists the first two weeks.

We obviously get them in round 20 when even a 6 month ban will see them back playing.

We have a dream draw.. Only games I have pencilled in for a loss are west coast away and Sydney away.. Geelong at Simmonds may not be as hard as we think if they have missed finals.. Always a chance vs Essendon at Etihad and I really think we can beat Collingwood round 2...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who thinks Melbourne, Collingwood or the Bulldogs can be pencilled in as wins is kidding themselves. First few rounds are as good as we could have hoped for but a slip on any of these banana skins and we are going to be behind the 8 ball early.

In regards to the double of Brisbane and the Suns. Suns will be the harder of the two imo. Brisbane have a great midfield but the big worry for me is their forward line. They are going to have to rely on a range of tall mids such as Rocky to kick their goals. Correct me if I'm wrong, who are their forwards for next year? Their backline is also suspect.

Good Quote from West Coast football manager Craig Vozzo, on a draw comparable to ours:

"We’ve got Freo twice ... none of this year’s top six other than Freo twice but we’d be fools to think there’s not going to be improvement in a lot of the teams around us.”

Can definitely see Gold Coast and West Coast improving their ladder position from last year. We will be fighting them plus Essendon and Richmond for places in the 8.

July 4th? WTF
Independence day was January 1. You know, Jan 1 1901.
Wouldn't call that independence more.. interdependence.
But it's besides the point. I'm happy to stretch, for a brief post, to consider an american concept just to hang s**t on nick. Appreciate if you would get with the program ;)

Problem is that outside of the Thurs night Hawthorn (25 years) and Fri night Richmond (indigenous round) games, there aren't many games to get excited about.
The showdowns will be big as always and then there is a lot of nothing.
We really need another yearly blockbuster outside of those. Start a rivalry with a club other than Port, say pick someone like North Melbourne who we usually have great games against and are in need of more rivalry games too. Round 1 Nth Melbourne every year or a Queen's birthday game in the ACT maybe? Plus 1998 was critical for back-to-back premierships for both clubs. Hell, tie it in with Riccuito (Roo) if you can.
The fact remains that our schedule will always look average as we'll never have a lot of Friday night or MCG games. Thursday nights are great, let's keep looking for ways to make our games more attractive to ourselves as well as interstate.

Problem is that outside of the Thurs night Hawthorn (25 years) and Fri night Richmond (indigenous round) games, there aren't many games to get excited about.
The showdowns will be big as always and then there is a lot of nothing.
We really need another yearly blockbuster outside of those. Start a rivalry with a club other than Port, say pick someone like North Melbourne who we usually have great games against and are in need of more rivalry games too. Round 1 Nth Melbourne every year or a Queen's birthday game in the ACT maybe? Plus 1998 was critical for back-to-back premierships for both clubs. Hell, tie it in with Riccuito (Roo) if you can.
The fact remains that our schedule will always look average as we'll never have a lot of Friday night or MCG games. Thursday nights are great, let's keep looking for ways to make our games more attractive to ourselves as well as interstate.

Win and no one cares.

Win and no one cares.

Can't be winning every year. Smart rivalries, blockbusters, time slots all mean that even in bad years there will be interest in the club.
It isn't like having staff focus on these areas, same as marketing, will reduce our chances of on-field success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back