Opinion Our 2015 Trade Period

Trade Period Rating out of 10

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet he (Egan) became an All Australian defender and Lonergan became a very good Premiership full back who managed to shut down the likes of Franklin and Cloke.
I will wait and see how a 25 year old Henderson goes as a defender in the hoops after a substantial amount of games before making any judgments on his worth, rather than selecting one or two particular performances.
One or two performances? He's been around for seven years. How many more performances do you need?

One or two performances? He's been around for seven years. How many more performances do you need?

I was referring to poor performances. Context Seeds.
One or two poor performances would not be too bad over seven years. Would it?

Last edited:
I struggle to see how Lonergan won't be selected in the side for round 1 TBH. He finished 6th in our B&F and is still doing a good job of blanketing the oppositions most damaging KPF.

Whether his form will be good enough throughout the season for him to hold onto his spot is a different question all together, but I can't see the MC leaving him out to start the season though.

Time has come to think of our future though mate, we didnt recruit Henderson to sit there in the reserves till we need him. Lonergan was slower this year and will get slower in 2016. Hes been a champion defender, but in the grand spectrum his spot is up for grabs. Sure Henderson may have to earn it first but Henderson is a quality backman when hes up and going, think he'll exceed old Domsy.

I'm not sure this coach is all about the future to be brutally honest.
If that was the case, we would have opted for youth as opposed to turning to veterans (or mature aged recruits) in order to help keep the ship from sinking.
Kelly and Stokes were preferred to Gore, Jansen and Horlin-Smith just to give you a recent example of this.

I doubt Lonergan rests much next season. I'd sure love to see it as you can then feel confident in younger players building on their futures. Guys like Kolodjashnij & Thurlow should really be reaching 30-50 games right now instead of the 10-25 games they are currently at.

I agree and disagree with you on a few points there mate. Out of those youngsters pushing for selection perhaps Gore was the only one we should of got games into. Horlin Smiths game is far to one dimensional, and although i like him he really needs to excel at something perhaps consistency will be his biggest asset and we can use him as a new Kelly. Jansen just wasn't up to it and even though i was one of his biggest advocates he just wasn't ready yet. Gore was impressive from the get go, would of loved to of seen some games out of him. Perhaps Stokes' position was questionable.

Honestly i don't mind our structure and 'passing of the baton'. Scott knows damn well a rebuild takes 3-5 years, we have more or less transitioned. If we completely rebuilt Scott wouldn't have a job so i'm sure he's aware of that. That's why we aren't biting the bullet and playing the kids. We saw what happened to McCartney and Waters they play the kids, 2 years time they both get sacked, hits the 3rd-4th year of a rebuild - O wait list is on the up again new coach takes the credit. If you were in Scott position why would you put yourself through 2 years of hard working rebuild only to get sacked by eager fans. My point is if we play all the kids with no experience to seem them through we end up like Melbourne for 10 years, we have developed a mid 20's players enough now so they can take the baton this year and become our future leaders.

I'm just not sure if all the criticism Scott takes is warranted, football clubs are bloody hard to manage.

Just to refresh.
GEELONG’S LIST CHANGES SO FAR IN 2015

Off: Sam Blease (retired), Dean Gore (traded to Adelaide), Steve Johnson (traded to Greater Western Sydney), James Kelly (retired), Brad Hartman (retired), Jarrad Jansen (traded to Brisbane Lions), Hamish McIntosh (retired), Jared Rivers (retired), Dawson Simpson (joined Greater Western Sydney as free agent), Mathew Stokes (retired), James Toohey (retired), Josh Walker (traded to Brisbane Lions)

On: Patrick Dangerfield (traded from Adelaide), Lachie Henderson (traded from Carlton), Scott Selwood (free agent from West Coast), Zac Smith (traded from Gold Coast)

Time has come to think of our future though mate, we didnt recruit Henderson to sit there in the reserves till we need him. Lonergan was slower this year and will get slower in 2016. Hes been a champion defender, but in the grand spectrum his spot is up for grabs. Sure Henderson may have to earn it first but Henderson is a quality backman when hes up and going, think he'll exceed old Domsy.
So do you think that Lonergan will be selected in the side for round 1 or will he be left out?

I'd say Hendo will have to earn his place mate. But by mid season I think Domsy will slip away. Could be completely wrong also ;)
I think that they will both be in the team for round 1. From then on, form and injury will dictate what happens next....

Domsy may very well fall away but he at least deserves the chance to hold onto his spot before it is taken away from him IMO.

I don't. I think he's already ahead of Mackie and Kolodjashnij as is. If our coach hasn't got the balls to drop say an Andrew Mackie for round 1's game against Hawthorn, watch Henderson line up at CHF instead.
This is what I believe to be likely.

I don't. I think he's already ahead of Mackie and Kolodjashnij as is. If our coach hasn't got the balls to drop say an Andrew Mackie for round 1's game against Hawthorn, watch Henderson line up at CHF instead.

Mackies far to important for our rebound, we didn't sign him on for 2 years to sit in reserves mate, he has one of the better kicks along with Thurlow out of halfback. I just think Domsy is the most likely exclusion. No use playing to tall against an undersized Hawthorn forward line anyway, its their quicks that towel us up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Checking the stories and vids coming out of the club and GFC stating very clearly they will not rush Clark (who has no injury concerns at present - over the claves apparently) and Stanley (who they are nursing back to fitness) back into the senior side.

I suspect then if there is even the suggestion of a hiccup then these two will not be in the side round 1. I had assumed both would be certain starters for round 1 2016.

So my best 22 may change and Vardy may play CHF yet over Clark - and then our rucks again suffer without Stanley starting the season - and Blitz and Vardy may have to be second ruck to Smith.

Now it may not happen but it would be a bit of a bugger really - especially if Scooter is still out getting fit. Three likely best 22 players out in round 1.

I think we will be ok as long as one of Clark and Stanley are fit and ready to play round 1. Tough first up game against the Hawks - so I would like to see a pretty full team.

Checking the stories and vids coming out of the club and GFC stating very clearly they will not rush Clark (who has no injury concerns at present - over the claves apparently) and Stanley (who they are nursing back to fitness) back into the senior side.

I suspect then if there is even the suggestion of a hiccup then these two will not be in the side round 1. I had assumed both would be certain starters for round 1 2016.

So my best 22 may change and Vardy may play CHF yet over Clark - and then our rucks again suffer without Stanley starting the season - and Blitz and Vardy may have to be second ruck to Smith.

Now it may not happen but it would be a bit of a bugger really - especially if Scooter is still out getting fit. Three likely best 22 players out in round 1.

I think we will be ok as long as one of Clark and Stanley are fit and ready to play round 1. Tough first up game against the Hawks - so I would like to see a pretty full team.
Yep. Vardy over Clark definitely.

Henderson at CHF, or if Stanley is fit, he sit on the bench while Smith rucks. Then Vardy plays CHF and Hendo slips into the backline somewhere.

Vardy will make CHF his own in 2016, as for Henderson get him down back if the intention of him coming were as a backman,f--k Scott and his jack of all positions master of none philosophy it's time to settle this side/ the game plan and give ourselves a red hot chance.

If Mackie is already on the outer for you, you must have been thrilled to hear about the 2 year deal.

Yep. Vardy over Clark definitely.

Henderson at CHF, or if Stanley is fit, he sit on the bench while Smith rucks. Then Vardy plays CHF and Hendo slips into the backline somewhere.
Is this under the assumption that Clark won't be fit? Otherwise it baffles me that people prefer vardy over Clark when we have seen what each has been able to do on the field.

Is this under the assumption that Clark won't be fit? Otherwise it baffles me that people prefer vardy over Clark when we have seen what each has been able to do on the field.
Yes, partly that he won't be fit. And I don't think he realistically gives us a rucking option - too risky.

I also think we may be better off getting games into Vardy - he is 3-4 years younger.

I am concerned about Mitch's mind set. I think he may take too much care - even on the ground. And I think he is prone to fade in and out (re his ability to mentally apply himself - the depression) due to circumstances even within quarters.

I may be totally wrong, but this is what his career to date has taught me.

I think we blundered in picking him up, actually.

It baffles me that people think Vardy will be fit ;)
The bloke averages 4 games a season, 8.4 disposals, 2.8 marks, 1 goal and 11.5 hitouts.

Compared to Clark who averages 12 games a season, 13.1 disposals, 4.9 marks, 9.1 hitouts. Has been in the all Australian squad.

I'm not anti vardy. I just don't know how people have seen enough to have such a definite opinion of him. He's been on the list 6 years, he's not young. It's now or never.

The bloke averages 4 games a season, 8.4 disposals, 2.8 marks, 1 goal and 11.5 hitouts.

Compared to Clark who averages 12 games a season, 13.1 disposals, 4.9 marks, 9.1 hitouts. Has been in the all Australian squad.

I'm not anti vardy. I just don't know how people have seen enough to have such a definite opinion of him. He's been on the list 6 years, he's not young. It's now or never.
Not alone in the now or never. Cowan as well. Lincoln needs to really impress in 2016.

Not alone in the now or never. Cowan as well. Lincoln needs to really impress in 2016.
Yep, both are lucky to even have the chance at a now or never.

I've see both Chook and have formed the opinion for now that only one of them can get to the standard Mitch Clark did in 2009 and that's not Clark so putting that together with Hawkins and Clark being to similar in the way they like to set up in the forward line (meaning they will take each others space),Clarks well documented mental fragility and the fact that Vardy is 24 YOA compared to Clark at 28 I'm giving Vardy first crack,Clark will get games next year and if it turns to be a ding dong battle for CHF wont that be great,how ever to temper that the history with these two also leaves open the chance that all our hopes could be dashed before a ball is bounced in rd1.

Back