Opinion Our 2015 Trade Period

Trade Period Rating out of 10

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Vardy will make CHF his own in 2016, as for Henderson get him down back if the intention of him coming were as a backman,f--k Scott and his jack of all positions master of none philosophy it's time to settle this side/ the game plan and give ourselves a red hot chance.
I find it funny that Scott gets critcised for wanting his team to be versatile, yet Clarkson gets praised for it.

What I find even more intriguing is that Scott brought this philosophy to the club as soon as he walked through the doors, a couple of years before Clarkson began to implement it at Hawthorn.

Quietly confident Menzel has turned the corner...

When it comes to Menzel, my biggest worry at this point isn't whether or not he does his ACL again, it is whether he will be able to manage/overcome any lingering pain in the knee(s). Think I read a few months ago that he still pulls up extremely sore after matches and even training, so I'm worried that this will be ongoing or possibly get even worse.

I find it funny that Scott gets critcised for wanting his team to be versatile, yet Clarkson gets praised for it.

What I find even more intriguing is that Scott brought this philosophy to the club as soon as he walked through the doors, a couple of years before Clarkson began to implement it at Hawthorn.
I'm not against players be versatile Stan.I'd just prefer for them to master one position first or at least be competent in that position before be tried some where else,not like the way we are going about it with Smedts for instance.

I'm not against players be versatile Stan.I'd just prefer for them to master one position first or at least be competent in that position before be tried some where else,not like the way we are going about it with Smedts for instance.
I actually agree with you in the case of Smedts. However, LH's case is very different IMO because even though he is coming off a poor year form wise, he has shown the ability to play at both ends to an above average standard in the past.

not surprising given his knees (from the inside) must be resembling that of a car crash victim after so many operations coupled with the LARS experiment on one of them.
Hence why we shouldn't get too excited predicting 40 goals from 20 games next season.

If he gets to 50 senior games I'll be impressed, and if he reaches 100 I'll be amazed.

If he gets to 50 senior games I'll be impressed, and if he reaches 100 I'll be amazed.

It'll be a herculean effort, but no matter the final tally I'll be appreciative of the faith and effort by club and player, and grateful of the chance to see such rare ability.

I've got Stanley on my list as well.

I thought that he showed heaps against Port before he did his ankle.
In fact he was probably one of the best on the ground when he did his ankle.

I thought that he showed heaps against Port before he did his ankle.
In fact he was probably one of the best on the ground when he did his ankle.

I still remember this game, even my dad (the captain of negativity) said Stanley was smoking it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the game and Stanley was easily BOG in the first half... by a long way.

Thanks GHS. I originally typed that I thought that he was BOG, but I rewrote it thinking that I had better be a bit more conservative as my memory may have failed me.

When it comes to Menzel, my biggest worry at this point isn't whether or not he does his ACL again, it is whether he will be able to manage/overcome any lingering pain in the knee(s). Think I read a few months ago that he still pulls up extremely sore after matches and even training, so I'm worried that this will be ongoing or possibly get even worse.

Good post TheWoodenSlug
I think the sobering comparison is Morabito. He came back from 3 recos and was absolutely tearing it up in the WAFL late in 2014 - getting 25+ and kicking a couple per game as a midfielder. However knee tendonitis derailed him in 2015 and he sat out for quite some time. Future now uncertain.
I sincerely hope that doesn't happen to Menz.

Good post TheWoodenSlug
I think the sobering comparison is Morabito. He came back from 3 recos and was absolutely tearing it up in the WAFL late in 2014 - getting 25+ and kicking a couple per game as a midfielder. However knee tendonitis derailed him in 2015 and he sat out for quite some time. Future now uncertain.
I sincerely hope that doesn't happen to Menz.

That's the major issue. Not just a reoccurrence, but the ongoing soreness. I wouldn't want money on Morabito coming back.

Quietly confident Menzel has turned the corner...
When it comes to Menzel, his corners are like running the Puffing Billy.
At each corner is another uphill.
Not saying he can't handle the hills, but they exist.

When it comes to Menzel, his corners are like running the Puffing Billy.
At each corner is another uphill.
Not saying he can't handle the hills, but they exist.
I understand the apprehensiveness, just think he's got past the biggest hurdles and now just needs to manage the smaller ones.

I understand the apprehensiveness, just think he's got past the biggest hurdles and now just needs to manage the smaller ones.
The reward at the end of the Puffing Billy race is potentially beating the train.
The race can be trained for, and it WAS my favourite "fun run" by a long shot, and to beat the train was wonderful; yet, each time, those hills were there to be conquered. No matter how hard the training, one hill followed by another, until the top,then a gentle decline to the finish.
That's my only point really- his career from now on will have many surmountable hills, if you know what I mean.

That's how I remember it too. Footy fans, and especially the footy media, being complete morons, sensationalise and remember only what they want.

It's also worth mentioning that Bizzell at Melbourne never approached the form he showed at Geelong. He was showing just what everyone wants to see from Menzel now.
Yes and no.
At Melbourne, after initially becoming their key playmaker at HB, he came back from fractured leg in 05, and eventually played brilliantly again at HB in 07, his likely correct position, marking, attacking footy. No senior games in 06, so he was in the wilderness for a while.
http://demonwiki.org/Clint+Bizzell

Yes and no.
At Melbourne, after initially becoming their key playmaker at HB, he came back from fractured leg in 05, and eventually played brilliantly again at HB in 07, his likely correct position, marking, attacking footy. No senior games in 06, so he was in the wilderness for a while.
http://demonwiki.org/Clint+Bizzell

I thought his best football was as a winger/half forward.

Really hope your right.
It's great to see him back out there but at the same time, I have absolutely no expectations of him whatsoever as he's very likely going to be in and out of the side on a regular basis as he manages knee tendinitis and other niggling injuries after so many surgeries on the knees. He's 24 but those legs will start to feel like 50yr old legs within a couple of years time.

I'm quietly confident we will find another very special young talent in the next decade though. The Geelong football club has always found that prodigious country kid from nowhere. Someone who has it all, the speed, leaping, strength and skill set to be labelled one of the most exciting in the competition.
I too hope I'm right. I can see the point Vdubs is making with his Puffing Billy analogy, I'm at present loathed to even put him in best 22 calculations, just no idea how he'll go. Good to see he's actually able to participate in preseason. Hopefully that gives him a really big mental boost of confidence.

I'm prepared for him to be and in and out sort of player, we just have to accept that as being distinctly possible in the future.

Back