Our 2016 midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said in another thread I think our midfield should really focus on defensive running/pressure acts. It was fairly ordinary this season and it was extremely frustrating to see 2-3 opposition mids or HB flankers streaming through the midfield with no one near them...

Also I absolutely hated how the opposition always had a spare player or two on the defensive side of a stoppage free. They win the contested possession and the first thing the do is handball backwards to the free players who set up the counter attack. :mad:

Agreed. How many teams were asking "Who will we send to Redden?" this year? And we came second last.

He increases pressure around the ball but he's never really had a huge hurt factor.

Will also be interesting to see if he bulks up much. For a guy who thrives at tackling, he never lost that lithe 20-yo type body. But also never dominated the gut running.

I'm just hoping m Robbo gets a lot more time in the midfield. Was excellent at the centre bounces towards the end of last year.

I can't help but think with a midfield the caliber of ours (not injured!!) All it'd take is 1 KPD and 1 KPF to come on and we could really push for 8-10 wins. If we can snag a few early wins, confidence will grow and could you imagine a team with a confident Martin, Rockliff, Beams, Rich, Zorko, Robbo and Bundy?

I'm just hoping m Robbo gets a lot more time in the midfield. Was excellent at the centre bounces towards the end of last year.
Really interested to see what role he might play. I have him on the interchange or half forward but changing on ball.

I think we have 4 very dangerous players on our list: Hanley, Rich, Zorko and Bundy. If all four can play 18+ games at close to their best level the side will improve overall dramatically.

I think we have 4 very dangerous players on our list: Hanley, Rich, Zorko and Bundy. If all four can play 18+ games at close to their best level the side will improve overall dramatically.
Probably add Beams and possibly Robinson at his best. Both are dangerous and can influence a match, Robinson not as much as Beams but he sure does add a lot of grunt and gets up in the opponents face

Bump: How much time do you guys see Bell spending in the midfield? I think he will play a role similar to Taylor in that he rotates between the half forward flank providing run and carry and a goal scoring option whilst also playing on the wing. Was arguably the Blues best player last year and I don't think any of us realise how lucky we are to have this bloke on our list. Is big, strong, fast and can kick a goal and he can run all day:thumbsu: He will be an absolute weapon for us in 2016 and play every game if fit.

Edit: Another thing to be excited about is the fact that a large number of Blues fans have said that he has the heart of a lion and always give 110%. Sound familiar?? (Mitch Robinson:p)

Last edited:
I am interested to see how Billy Evans continues to develop over the year. I thought he did a good job when given the opportunity in the seniors. There is definitely plenty to work with.

I can't help but think with a midfield the caliber of ours (not injured!!) All it'd take is 1 KPD and 1 KPF to come on and we could really push for 8-10 wins. If we can snag a few early wins, confidence will grow and could you imagine a team with a confident Martin, Rockliff, Beams, Rich, Zorko, Robbo and Bundy?

Thats why our fixture really hurts this year. That one game against the Roos at the Gabba in round 2 we need to snag to get the confidence up, and Lo and behold, its coming off a 6 day break on the back of a trip to Perth.....*sigh*.
If our midfield doesnt click we could easily end up 1-7 or so after the first 8 which would put enormous pressure on everyone at the club,

Thats why our fixture really hurts this year. That one game against the Roos at the Gabba in round 2 we need to snag to get the confidence up, and Lo and behold, its coming off a 6 day break on the back of a trip to Perth.....*sigh*.
If our midfield doesnt click we could easily end up 1-7 or so after the first 8 which would put enormous pressure on everyone at the club,
The way I see it as long as we are within 20 points of WC we will have confidence at the Gabba, also 1st round always throws up surprises.

We will surprise teams and win IF we play 4 quarters. Lambert is huge for us as many already know, but when combined with D.Austin it has to be a real advantage to previous years in simply that we have a guy who keeps the team positive and then a firness guru who can use that energy. This alone I honestly think will win us games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I see it as long as we are within 20 points of WC we will have confidence at the Gabba, also 1st round always throws up surprises.

We will surprise teams and win IF we play 4 quarters. Lambert is huge for us as many already know, but when combined with D.Austin it has to be a real advantage to previous years in simply that we have a guy who keeps the team positive and then a firness guru who can use that energy. This alone I honestly think will win us games.

No doubt the Austin factor will be advantageous. Hopefully we can surprise WC before they get going, much like GWS seem to enjoy doing to Sydney

almost any team in the league would be happy to have a midfield of s.martin, d.beams, t.rockliff, d.rich, a.christensen, r.bastinac, t.bell, p.hanley, d.zorko, m.robinson. if d.merrett can stay healthy and take the opposition no.1 key forward and provide on field direction, and josh walker steps up to perform the job he was recruited for and kick 35-40 goals and take the best defender we will surprise a few pundits.
all though our 2016 performance will be affected greatly by our injury list, we can not afford to lose players like s.martin, d.merrett and j.walker and if we have an injury list like 2015 we will more than likely be fighting out the wooden spoon with carlton.

If Merrett stays fit and can play as Lake did in his later years, combined with Walker kicking 2 goals a game- 8-10 wins will be a realistic target. The amazing thing of course is that if we hit that target with the youngest team in the comp, it will set us up very nicely for 2017

almost any team in the league would be happy to have a midfield of s.martin, d.beams, t.rockliff, d.rich, a.christensen, r.bastinac, t.bell, p.hanley, d.zorko, m.robinson. if d.merrett can stay healthy and take the opposition no.1 key forward and provide on field direction, and josh walker steps up to perform the job he was recruited for and kick 35-40 goals and take the best defender we will surprise a few pundits.
all though our 2016 performance will be affected greatly by our injury list, we can not afford to lose players like s.martin, d.merrett and j.walker and if we have an injury list like 2015 we will more than likely be fighting out the wooden spoon with carlton.
And Essendon!

Surely we have to add Rockliff and D.Beams to that list - both very capable of 30p / 3 goal games :thumbsu:

But for mine, Rich still our #1 most dangerous midfielder :footy:

We are the youngest team in the Competition. I don't expect much this year again. On the flipside play like the last game of last year, we may surprise a few sides.

We are the youngest team in the Competition. I don't expect much this year again. On the flipside play like the last game of last year, we may surprise a few sides.
Would have preferred the Dogs had to win that last round game to frank our form.

Surely we have to add Rockliff and D.Beams to that list - both very capable of 30p / 3 goal games :thumbsu:

But for mine, Rich still our #1 most dangerous midfielder :footy:
I mentioned the other 4 specifically as I believe them to be the "types" of players who can blow a game apart in a short period of time either with a few long goals(Richy) or breakaway runs threw the corridor(Hanley, Zorko, Bundy). I guess you could add DBeams to that group but I see him and Rocky more as players who consistently have a positive impact throughout the entire game whereas the other 4 have the ability to turn the game in our favour in the space of 2 minutes with a few exciting plays. Kind of like why the opposition would choose to tag Rich or Hanley over Rocky or DBeams even though Rocky and DBeams are superior players because Richy and Pearce have the ability to tear a game apart in a short period of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back