loyallion

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2005
Somewhere.......
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Indianapolis Colts Detroit Lions
Is it just me? Or is any other person abit Pissed off that the Hawks won and Got their 3 peat today?

Its like this for me now that the Hawks have a 3 Peat Its making me feel like ours Isn't that special anymore :( I know that ours was also earnt and against the Odds but yeh I don't like the fact that Some other Club has done it in just over 12 yrs after the Mighty Lions did it.

I'm sorry I feel this way and yes it was only a matter of time before some other team was going to achieve what we all thought was impossible and Hard to do :(

Don't get me wrong I love my Lions and will always feel this way..

Oh and I know that now that the Hawks have done it that the whole enviable argument is going to be going on for years "Who was the Better 3 Peat team? Brisbane or Hawthorn?" and its going to annoy the Crap out of me to.

And FWIW as Bias as it sounds Brisbane had a lot tougher Obstacles to go through to win theirs Travelling interstate every 2nd week, The lack of Support we got and Belief from the other teams just to name a couple of things < That is just my Opinion

It will only get you down if you're looking at it from the perspective of trying to compare the 'dynasties'. You can make arguments as to why one is better than the other and vice versa and so it all just becomes pretty pointless. Better to just celebrate such significant achievements.

Our 3 peat is just as significant and special today as it was yesterday morning.

We are the better team. As I said in my other post - Hawthorn have the luxury of a biased Victorian media, favorable umpiring, expansion teams to dilute the talent pool making it harder for rival clubs to get the players they need to build upon, not having Fascist Eddie Maguire up your ass all the time and having more resources than us while reducing the go home factors since they have plenty of players from...Victoria.

We had to combat homesickness, Eddie, less resources etc. We pulled off three in a row first and built THE best team I have ever seen. We are the better team and there is no question about it.

Oh yeah, they got PP.

If it makes you feel any better then I'd argue that the Lions' three-peat was enjoyed by more neutral supporters than Hawthorns' was. I was at a random assortment of BBQs for most of the recent grand finals involving either club and can tell you that the only people excited to see Hawthorn win were Hawks supporters. On the other hand, there was always plenty of love in the room for your boys. Especially when you were up against Collingwood! :D

From a footballing perspective, I still think you have the wood over the Hawks but another similar season from them next year might make the debate an interesting one!

It is a unique club this 3peat club, and we will always be the first to have joined it.....we now have company.

....but it is still a very special club, of which we are part of. No one can take it away from us.

Yeah... couldn't really give a crap that Hawthorn also got a 3-peat. It doesn't take away what the Lions achieved. The Hawks have equally achieved something massive and deserve to be congratulated.

If you want to get to the nitty gritty there are mitigating factors that assisted both clubs to get it (Brisbane had the retention allowance, Hawthorn peaked at an exceptionally fortunate time - expansion clubs and introduction of free agency).

There seems to be a general consensus Brisbane were the tougher side and would beat the Hawks. That's enough for me!

Last edited:
Might sound stupid to some what I am about to say.

The Hawks 3peat might be a blessing in disguise. It means at least our club can't simply sit on its laurels anymore. I've always had this feeling that our club could always hang its hat on the fact we are the club of the great 3peat team.

While that 01-04 team is still an all time great team, the fact another team has achieved that feat means we require more history to be made (by that I don't mean we need to do another 3peat).

This year finally confides our 3peat chapter to history IMO.

Might sound stupid to some what I am about to say.

The Hawks 3peat might be a blessing in disguise. It means at least our club can't simply sit on its laurels anymore. I've always had this feeling that our club could always hang its hat on the fact we are the club of the great 3peat team.

While that 01-04 team is still an all time great team, the fact another team has achieved that feat means we require more history to be made (by that I don't mean we need to do another 3peat).

This year finally confides our 3peat chapter to history IMO.
Umm, we most certainly do need another 3-peat

All week I was proudly pledging my support to the Eagles to keep our 3-peat-in-the-modern-game legacy alive for a few more years. But honestly after a performance like yesterday I think they're completely worthy.

I do wonder if we'll see a similar rebuild process for Hawthorn in years to come though, or did they learn their lessons from Brisbane's run?

All week I was proudly pledging my support to the Eagles to keep our 3-peat-in-the-modern-game legacy alive for a few more years. But honestly after a performance like yesterday I think they're completely worthy.

I do wonder if we'll see a similar rebuild process for Hawthorn in years to come though, or did they learn their lessons from Brisbane's run?

The Hawks won in 08 and were winners again in 13. I think they know how win flags and maintain relevance.

Doesnt annoy me one bit. Just makes me want to better it. I mean not that it will happen but wouldnt mind some more success before my time is up. Hawks have been fantastic and deserve it just as the lions did.

If anything it should make our whole club strive for success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are the better team. As I said in my other post - Hawthorn have the luxury of a biased Victorian media, favorable umpiring, expansion teams to dilute the talent pool making it harder for rival clubs to get the players they need to build upon, not having Fascist Eddie Maguire up your ass all the time and having more resources than us while reducing the go home factors since they have plenty of players from...Victoria.

We had to combat homesickness, Eddie, less resources etc. We pulled off three in a row first and built THE best team I have ever seen. We are the better team and there is no question about it.

Oh yeah, they got PP.

You left out playing their GF's at their home ground ...

Brown, Aker, Voss, BLACK just to name a few any day of the week over the dawks.

Black most touches in a GF ever.

Bet on Black.

its funny but being a supporter of a team going head to head with the Lions in that 01-04 period I must say and no disrespect to Hawthorn but I dreaded every time Port were due to face Brisbane, the Lions were bloody awesome in those years, freakish talent, tough as nails and ruthless, Hawthorn has all those qualities as well but I don't know if its just that Port has a healthy winning / competitive match up with the Hawks but I don't have the same despair when scheduled to play them.

Hawthorn got their 3-peat against 3 interstate clubs.

We got our 3-peat against 3 Victorian clubs.

They brought the cheapest 3-peat from the shop while we went all out ;):p

And so it begins all I have seen on FB lately is how "Hawthorn are so much better than what the Lions were because they didnt have concessions like we did" This is what pisses me off the most this stupid Concession bullcrap.. money had nothing to do with the quality and talent that our players had I bet if Hawthorn had to go Interstate 11 times a year ( or 13 games if you include final games) and didnt have the whole Victorian fan base that they have that they wouldnt have had a Flag next to their name let alone 3 What some Vics fail to realize is AFL in QLD and NSW plays 2nd fiddle to Rugby League. Not to mention Weather conditions and the fact that unless we do well No one gives a crap about AFL... We dont have the talent also that VIC SA and WA have either.

Geezus West Coast I really am annoyed with you I dont mind Hawthorn as a Team but their Fans are so arrogant and One eyed its not even fricken funny anymore We had alot going against us to Win a Flag every fricken year And even to this day AFL unless we do well no one cares Try and get an AFL record in the Newsagents they still don't know what that is.

Problem is Hawthorn will most likely get get a four peat.. I can't see any team beating them on their home ground on grand final day....Much Much harder for interstate teams to win a premiership

Problem is Hawthorn will most likely get get a four peat.. I can't see any team beating them on their home ground on grand final day....Much Much harder for interstate teams to win a premiership

What about that Gunston knee injury. That would have been 10 months out for one of our guys but magic spray and a weeks rest, all good.

Hawks either are blessed with injuries or have really resilient players. I would love to see them lose some playing group continuity and actually test out their second string quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back