Our best team - Round 1

Greenwood is clearly in our best 22 - clearly.
If he could kick, then yeah.

Or at least possessed either Rawlings' shutting down ability; or Simmo's ball winning ability. Neither of which he comes close to.

Husk

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2011
Six feet under
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Or at least possessed either Rawlings' shutting down ability; or Simmo's ball winning ability. Neither of which he comes close to.
Yeah he worries me as well.

When the pressure is on his disposal goes to the crapper.

Really needs to step up this year or I think a few will pass him. By no means a lock, but probably still in the 22.

With his tank he should be racking them up at will. But I hear it's his positioning and smarts that are letting him down on gameday.
Oh, and the kicking isn't exactly a glowing endorsement. I hope it's not coaching limitations that are holding him back. we will be in strife it it is.

LeFtBehinD

Club Legend
May 28, 2007
Melb
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I hope you guys are joking. Not only is Greenwood in our best 22 he's in our first 10 picked. Which is why he gets a rest as he's always going to play.

Decent lineup

I'd say Grima won't play in round 1, even if his injury is ok he would lack match fitness as he hasn't played since the round robin games.
I'd put Hansen at CHB and Tarrant at HF, Once Pedersen comes on as the sub he would play forward as well.

I too believe Grima wont come up, cost us dearly playing him underdone last year. But Petrie, McIntosh, Tarrant and Pedo in the one forward line? I dont think so.

Sep 5, 2011
Gisborne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manly,Green Bay Packers,

I think LA will replace him because he now has the shutting down that will soon be to the rawlings standard has always been able to gett massive loads of the pill even when he was not impacting the game and has 10 times the disposal skill of both the NMFC legends mentioned

The best 22 is still about 28 players.
LA mkII sounds a tantalizing prospect. I still have minor question marks on disposal.
Cunnington getting more centre square time has to effect someone, Greenwood could be the most hurt.

Last year we had Atley, Wright, LA and now Mullet, who were all out of the side for large periods. (Well Cunners played back) but is now in the midfield. Naturally, someone has to shuffle along while BS tries a few preseason plans out.

Gold_Cup_96

Debutant
Feb 21, 2012
NMFC trophy cabinet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where are all these elite ball users that are being kept out of the side?

His clanger count was only marginally above the team average in 2011 and he was playing at less than 100% fitness for most of the season.

Levi compensates in other ways.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I hope you guys are joking. Not only is Greenwood in our best 22 he's in our first 10 picked. Which is why he gets a rest as he's always going to play.

No way would he be in the first ten selected.

The problem for Levi is that he wasn't being rested. He played in the two's on the weekend.

He's had an indifferent preseason. Other blokes who probably started behind him have, such as LA, have done well. There's probably 25 realistic chances to play in rd 1 and he's definately in there, but it would be line ball making the 22. Missing a hard nut like JZ might help his cause.

None of this is to say he won't be in the 22 at rd 4 or 5 and stay there.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
The best 22 is still about 28 players.
LA mkII sounds a tantalizing prospect. I still have minor question marks on disposal.
Cunnington getting more centre square time has to effect someone, Greenwood could be the most hurt.

Last year we had Atley, Wright, LA and now Mullet, who were all out of the side for large periods. (Well Cunners played back) but is now in the midfield. Naturally, someone has to shuffle along while BS tries a few preseason plans out.

Yeah must admit im having real trouble naming my best team, add in Grima, Ziebell and its a real nightmare. At least there'll be more form to go off by then.

Bugger it ill just name a team so i can stop thinking about it lol, good luck Brad!

B: McMahon Thompson Spud
HB: Wright Hansen JMac
C: Wells Cunnington Anthony
HF: Harper Tarrant Thomas
F: Boomer Petrie Edwards

Foll: Goldy, Swallow, Bastinac

Int: HMac, Adams, Atley, [Greenwood]

* Yes perhaps a little short in defence, but we can swing Tarrant back if needed and/ or plant a ruck back there, but our rebound should be strong. If Tarrant is playing well enough forward then its Essendon that have to worry about our tall timber.
* Possible swap Atley and Greenwood as subs, this would allow us to rotate more grunt in the middle, but id like to think Swallow and Cunnington can get it done. If they cant having Greenwood as a sub could backfire.
*Im not convinced on the 2 rucks, but with Grima expected unavailable its a good option to try it in the fair dinkum stuff. When Grima is due back id expect some real pressure on either HMac, Tarrant or Edwards.
* Campbell: While i like the pressure he brings just hasnt done enough to force someone out.
* Lots of unlucky guys, which is a great problem highlighting our depth. Pressure is on to perform!

Longer term, Im not 100% sold on Tarrant forward yet, would like to see him having a bigger impact. I also expect Hansen will end up a forward but accept this is how we're going about it for now.

BowWow1978

All Australian
Feb 6, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think LA will replace him because he now has the shutting down that will soon be to the rawlings standard has always been able to gett massive loads of the pill even when he was not impacting the game and has 10 times the disposal skill of both the NMFC legends mentioned

LA now has shut down skills? Please - give me a spell. He runs one way, which is why BS has been playing him down back in patches this pre-season to teach him a lesson. He wont play there during the H&A season because he's bled goals (Richmond game.) LA's ball winning ability has never been in question, but it's not enough these days. The bulldog and Blues games he played well and may have pinched himself a round one spot, but it won't be at the expense of Greenwood.
Greenwood's kicking is a bit suspect, but he's one of the first picked by the coach. I personally love the way he goes about it and at 23 years old, he's got a massive up side.

WesternRoo

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2007
Wattleup Stadium
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Club Oz Cougars
My main concern is their smaller half forward types.
We don't have ideal match ups for monfrie, zaharakis or jetta.
McMahon could probably take monfrie, although he is a bit slow but the other two will be matched up by a fairly inexperienced Macmillan or mullet type.
Wright to me is not a natural defender either.
In regard to the talls, Scott will go in with Thompson for Hurley, firrito fowr crameri with Hansen taking the resting ruck.
If spud or Thompson starts getting chopped, he has Tarrant who will start forward as coverage, knowing Petrie, the ruckmen and the high leaping Edwards as targets.
The great advantage to playing that set up down back, is that if we can be competitive in the air (watch for Hansen to continually leave his man to provide support), then we can play an extra rebounder.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Round 1 team:

Firrito Thompson Mcmahon

Macmillan Hansen Wright

Anthony Swallow Wells

Thomas Tarrant Adams

Harvey Petrie Edwards

Goldstein Atley Bastinac

McIntosh Cunnington Harper (Greenwood)

After picking the round 1 team I really feel like I have no idea who Brad is going to put out on the park.

I hope he picks the fittest bunch of goers available because I feel we're at our best when we chase, tackle and harass the opposition.

Would be great if Luke Delaney is available because he was fantastic in the Essendon game last year - ultra aggressive and with the muscle to back it up.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hard job for the selectors means its all good for the club!! Liam Anthony congrats lad!! what a difference a good preseason and hard graft does to a footballer........gee I hope he continues his good start preseason into the season proper. By most selections here he has the tick of approval!!

I wonder how close this will be to our round 1 side:
B - McMahon Thompson Mullett
HB - MacMillan Firrito Atley
C - Wells Cunnington Bastinac
HF - Harper Edwards Harvey
F - Tarrant Petrie Thomas
R - Goldstein Swallow Adams
B - McIntosh Anthony Wright Campbell (sub)

Everyone else is either playing VFL, injured (Grima, Kennedy, Curran, Daw) or suspended.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more blokes playing VFL though. Namely Wright, McIntosh, Campbell, Tarrant, Cunnington, MacMillan, Anthony, Mullett and Atley. Wells could also surely do with another hitout. Perhaps there is a limit on how many can play?

THE MOEMAN

All Australian
Jun 29, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I hope our round 1 team is this

B: McMahon L Delaney Thompson
HB: Wright Hansen Firrito
C: Bastinac Cunnington Anthony
HF: Harvey Tarrant Adams
F: Thomas Petrie Edwards
R: Goldstein Swallow Wells
I: McIntosh Greenwood Harper
S: Macmillan

only grima and ziebell missing from the best 22, grima will come straight in for Delaney and ziebell in for greenwood

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
What's everyones thoughts on Campbell? Does he fit into our round 1 squad?
We have so much depth at the moment it must be hard for Brad to pick our 22 this week.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

FootySmartSimpson

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looing at Moeman's team, which is pretty good, moving Firrito to the bench, or not playing him at all and moving Anthony to the HBF, you could play Speight off a wing with some good results. That is of course if he is fit.

Would end up something like this:

McMahon Deleney Thompson
Anthony Hansen Wright
Bastinac Cunnington Speight
Adams Tarrant Thomas
Harvey Petrie Edwards

Goldstein Wells Swallow

As for the bench: Macintosh, Harper, Greenwood, MacMillan

Run, carry, skill on every line. Blend of tall/small and some firepower up forward.

would Gibson really play ahead of Adams? He's had one decent Nab cup hit out and people are already saying he's playing across the center.

What I'd like to see:
FB: Mullet L.Del/Pedo Thompson
HB: Atley Hansen McMahon
C: MacMillan Cunnington Adams
HF: Speight Tarrant Edwards
FF: Harper Petrie Harvey
R: Goldstein Swallow Bastinac
I: McIntosh Greenwood Wright Gibson

What I think we'll see:
FB: Spud L.Del/Pedo Thompson
HB: Atley Hansen McMahon
C: Greenwood Cunnington Adams
HF: Thomas Tarrant Edwards
FF: Harper Petrie Harvey
R: Goldstein Swallow Bastinac
I: McIntosh MacMillan Gibson Wright

I would prefer him over Thomas, but Thomas has been alright in the pre season.

It is a tough one.

I agree. But also Greenwood, Speight, Gibbo and Cruize will be going hard at in the VFL this week fighting for a spot.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Hansen,spud and thommo are enough talls in the backline.

We need to keep the same sort of set up as we had last week.
Running in waves was music to my eyes.

Two players that have really worried me are Cunnington and Greenwood.
They just havent come on as I would of hoped.
Greenwood doesnt really tag anyone out of games and doesnt really get enough of the ball or use it well enough when he gets the ball.
Cunnington really doesnt do enough at this stage.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Hansen,spud and thommo are enough talls in the backline.

We need to keep the same sort of set up as we had last week.
Running in waves was music to my eyes.

Two players that have really worried me are Cunnington and Greenwood.
They just havent come on as I would of hoped.
Greenwood doesnt really tag anyone out of games and doesnt really get enough of the ball or use it well enough when he gets the ball.
Cunnington really doesnt do enough at this stage.

Its early days for them, the season is long but in some ways i think these 2 could be barometers for our year. Our squad is pretty solid and if Ziebell were available we could probably go in without either of them tbh. But if they can not only lock down spots but really contribute then we really have some serious firepower/ contested ball winners. They are 2 of the guys we'd look towards for big steps forward if we're to make the upper part of the 8 imo.

Back