Our best team - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

i don't think hansen, thompson and spud are enough to cover the back line. really need a bigger body down there to take care of the power forwards in the comp

I would prefer him over Thomas, but Thomas has been alright in the pre season.

It is a tough one.

Maybe give him McIntosh's spot. I am in the one ruck camp.

Andy surely you cant be in the one ruckman camp against essendon next week?? Ryder,Hille and maybe Bellchambers playing??

Another thing, you prefer flash over thomas:- is this because of Lindsay´s kicking for goal? Not attacking you mate just curious on your thinking thats all.

Andy surely you cant be in the one ruckman camp against essendon next week?? Ryder,Hille and maybe Bellchambers playing??

Another thing, you prefer flash over thomas:- is this because of Lindsay´s kicking for goal? Not attacking you mate just curious on your thinking thats all.

I would have every confidence in Goldy against those three. With a bit of help from Petrie/Pedo.

I prefer Campbell for his goal kicking, but also for the fact he gives away fewer silly free kicks when trying to pressure the opposition. It's tough enough to keep the ball down there without giving the opposition a free pass.

Why wouldn't you play both Campbell and Thomas? Its been like 2 years since they both ruled the forward line together.

And we'd have to play 2 rucks against Ess. Petrie and Tarrant with a Ruckman through there occasionally... force them to play Ryder in defence? Would be a massive selection win.

I would have every confidence in Goldy against those three. With a bit of help from Petrie/Pedo.

I prefer Campbell for his goal kicking, but also for the fact he gives away fewer silly free kicks when trying to pressure the opposition. It's tough enough to keep the ball down there without giving the opposition a free pass.

Campbell doesn't give away free kicks because he spends so little time anywhere near the pill.

Silly argument. Thomas is an elite small forward with issues in his game. Campbell played an amazing game against Hawthorn and then a few decent games over the past three years. You can't compare them. Campbell is fighting for a spot in the 22. Thomas is a lock even with his deficiencies.

Campbell doesn't give away free kicks because he spends so little time anywhere near the pill.

Silly argument. Thomas is an elite small forward with issues in his game. Campbell played an amazing game against Hawthorn and then a few decent games over the past three years. You can't compare them. Campbell is fighting for a spot in the 22. Thomas is a lock even with his deficiencies.

Over their careers they are fairly even. If Thomas is elite, then so is Campbell.

Reading some of the commentary and listening to Brad Scott, it sounds like Hansen might be struggling to get a spot in the team.

Interesting turn of events if that is the case.

I hope our round 1 team is this

B: McMahon L Delaney Thompson
HB: Wright Hansen Firrito
C: Bastinac Cunnington Anthony
HF: Harvey Tarrant Adams
F: Thomas Petrie Edwards
R: Goldstein Swallow Wells
I: McIntosh Greenwood Harper
S: Macmillan

only grima and ziebell missing from the best 22, grima will come straight in for Delaney and ziebell in for greenwood
Just to follow on from this post I made.
The key position player match ups would be
Luke Delaney-Ryder
Hansen-Hurley
Thompson-Crameri
Goldstein-Hille
Tarrant-Pears
Petrie-Hooker

Reading some of the commentary and listening to Brad Scott, it sounds like Hansen might be struggling to get a spot in the team.

Interesting turn of events if that is the case.

I wondered, with Grima being pulled and a maybe available. Its probably one or the other. Is he injured or just coping a kick in the pants?

I wondered, with Grima being pulled and a maybe available. Its probably one or the other. Is he injured or just coping a kick in the pants?
The kick in the pants to get him to push to the next level was something that crossed my mind as well.

Hansen was rated as one of our best 2 or 3 in the last match he played.

I don't know where these reservations are coming from.

I figure he was just rested after the Sydney game before clocking up more miles this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i don't think hansen, thompson and spud are enough to cover the back line. really need a bigger body down there to take care of the power forwards in the comp

Well i think Firrito's career has come to an premature end. Time to bring in Pederson as a key defender and freeing up Thompson to play the Firrito role that he is best suited to.

Well i think Firrito's career has come to an premature end. Time to bring in Pederson as a key defender and freeing up Thompson to play the Firrito role that he is best suited to.
Did you watch any of the NAB Cup? Firrito was very solid.

Our backline poses a big dilemma for Round 1, all our KPD barring Thompson are under-done or plain injured, and Pederson has shown he is far more effective as a floating forward, a role he can't even break into currently.

Our best 6 down back on merit is Thompson, Firrito, McMahon, Mullet, MacMillan and Wright but with Essendon's tall forwards we won't risk it. An under-done Hansen, Delaney or Grima will end up playing back there.

Pederson is not a key defenders clacker.

Where do people get these absurd notions?

The probable Essendon side (as taken from the Essendon board):

B: Fletcher - Pears - Hibberd

HB: Heppel - Hooker - Dempsey

C: Stanton - Watson - Melksham

HF: Zaharakis - Carlisle - Monfries

F: Ryder - Hurley - Crameri

R: Hille - Howlett - Hocking

Int/Sub: Myers - Colyer - Hardingham - Winderlich - McVeigh - Bellchambers

Match ups when considering a probable North line up:

F: Edwards - Petrie - Thomas

HF: Harper - Tarrant - Adams

C: Wells - Swallow - Bastinac

HB: MacMillan - Firrito - Wright

B: Thompson - Hansen - McMahon

R: Goldstein - Anthony - Greenwood

Int/Sub: McIntosh - Harvey - Atley - Cunnington - Campbell

Line by line breakdowns:

F: Edwards - Petrie - Thomas

I'm more than happy for Drew to go head to head with Pears, but I don't think Hird will see it that way. He'll expect the Essendon mids to pressure Norths forward delivery in order to bring Fletcher in to the equation as the zoning defender. If we get run out of the middle, then it is up to Edwards to hit hard up the ground to seperate Fletcher from Petrie and the North mids must look to utilise him.

IMO, the Edwards/Fletcher match up is one of the most crucial match ups in the match.

Thomas and Hibberd should provide a decent contest.

HF: Harper - Tarrant - Adams

This is interesting. Harper will need to work both ways in order to nullify Heppels rebound and I think we will rotate heavily with Boomer on Heppel in order to get off the back of him. Dempsey will need to be on his guard with Patch or he will pay the price.

The Tarrant/Hooker match up will give us a good indication as to where Tazza is at, as I see them as similiar players at this point in time. Robbie will of course be expected to make space.

C: Wells - Swallow - Bastinac

I see significant win for us on this line. If we lose anything in the Swallow/Watson match up, then we more than make up for it on the wings. Wells and Bastinac are clearly better footballers than their opponents and I expect them both to have big games.

HB: MacMillan - Firrito - Wright

I think Wright matches up well on the dangerous Monfries and should keep him in check.

Firrito will give away some height to the promising Carlisle, but he has weight and experience on his side with this match up and his pre season output suggets he has returned to his 2010 excellent form.

The dangerous Zaharakis will provide headaches and I think we will rotate Atley and MacMillan on him. MacMillan, in particular, has the capacity to hurt Zaharakis on the rebound, but I wouldn't be backing him to go with Zaharakis for an entire match from a leg speed perspective.

The probable Essendon side (as taken from the Essendon board):

I can't see us playing three ruckmen and I have a feeling that Carlisle won't play because Ryder seems to be playing a lot of full forward.

I see the defensive match ups as
Petrie - Hooker
Pears- Tarrant
Fletcher- Resting ruck
Hardingham- Edwards
Hibberd/Dempsey - Thomas

B: Thompson - Hansen - McMahon

This is the scenario that has me guessing the most. Will the coach utilise the rucks in defence, or will he roll the dice down back?

I am very comfortable with McMahon on Crameri, but then what?

Personally, I would roll the dice with Thompson on Ryder, with some assistance from the ruckman dropping back. If we can nullify him in the air, then Thompson can really come in to his own on the rebound.

Hansen can keep Hurley under wraps in the air, I am confident of this, and he can certainly go with him for leg speed, but Lachie will need to watch Hurley at ground level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back