Opinion Our biggest improver in 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

What's wrong with getting excited about the potential of our younger players? That's all part of the fun of supporting a team.

The reality of the situation is that most youngsters get talked up, but statistically, very few go on to have successful careers. I just don't see the harm in watching these kids in hopes that they'll become superstars of the competition.

I remember after the 09 draft when no one rated our youth, I watched the young guys like Hanners, Rohan, Jetts & the other guys like Veszpremi & TDL. I had hopes that they'd turn into great players for our club, but I was always apprehensive about getting too ahead of myself. I always questioned whether our kids had plenty of upside, or whether they had a relatively low ceiling. Although I had high hopes, when comparing them to youngsters from around the league, who were taken higher in the draft, I was never too sure whether I was overrating our kids, just as other clubs overrate theirs. Some have been successful to varying degrees, and the latter were moved on. Statistically I know some of the guys I want to make it, won't, but that's not going to stop me watching in anticipation.

We've got a very strong culture, and our youngsters are coming through a system where they'll get top of the line coaching, are up against some of the competition's best players during pre season / training, so there's no reason to think our youth will fail. Of course not all will make it, but I'm quietly confident that those with the drive will become successful players. They've got every chance playing for the swans, it's just up to them whether they're the ones that make it.

You really are condescending expletive aren't you. You'd think you were the only bloke here to watch a game of footy. I have been either playing or watching this game for 52 years you drongo. Whether Deano makes it or not is up to him but I really get the shits with people like you who just bag a player because for some unknown reason you just don't like them. The kid has talent, what he does with it is now up to him. He was exceedingly close to a match last year and if he produces will be in the mix again.

So please refrain from being condescending as you just come off as a troglodyte (if you don't know what it means look it up professor).

Chill Wolfie

Bedders is just pissed off that a few of us are cooling our heels in England while he slumps across a hot bar in his sweat stained shirt, counting the flies on the ceiling and watching his beer get warm. Too hot to face going home and nothing on the box worth watching until the NAB cup starts.

It's the preseason blues. We're all hanging out for a fix. Bedford's not all bad, just cranky, intolerant, bellicose, disputatious and pugnacious to a tee. Oh, and he wouldn't know a good player if one kicked him. 147 games before he thought Macca might be worth keeping on the list ! At least he supports the right team.

Hang around on the forum a while longer and you'll have buggered up at least one of his predictions. Once the season proper starts Bedford will be too busy ripping into anyone from St Scum. And well he should.

Chill Wolfie

Bedders is just pissed off that a few of us are cooling our heels in England while he slumps across a hot bar in his sweat stained shirt, counting the flies on the ceiling and watching his beer get warm. Too hot to face going home and nothing on the box worth watching until the NAB cup starts.

It's the preseason blues. We're all hanging out for a fix. Bedford's not all bad, just cranky, intolerant, bellicose, disputatious and pugnacious to a tee. Oh, and he wouldn't know a good player if one kicked him. 147 games before he thought Macca might be worth keeping on the list ! At least he supports the right team.

Hang around on the forum a while longer and you'll have buggered up at least one of his predictions. Once the season proper starts Bedford will be too busy ripping into anyone from St Scum. And well he should.

Didn't know you were in England mate, whereabouts?

I just spotted the movement in this thread overnight, just a reminder we are all Swans supporters here. Of course everyone is welcome to post here, but for the newcomers, you can disagree with someone's opinion as strongly as you like but the personal attacks are not on, no matter what site you are posting on. If your post gets deleted, you know why.

I just spotted the movement in this thread overnight, just a reminder we are all Swans supporters here. Of course everyone is welcome to post here, but for the newcomers, you can disagree with someone's opinion as strongly as you like but the personal attacks are not on, no matter what site you are posting on. If your post gets deleted, you know why.
I don't know why... :p

Sussex. Where are you ? London ?

At the moment up in Manchester for a couple of days, then back to London for most of the week, then up to Hull for next weekend to meet the team and watch us beat Spurs. ;)

I have actually been thinking about this for a while.

Think the next big improver on our list could be Cunningham.

He showed quite a few good signs late last year at training, and his defensive pressure in the forward line was fantastic.

If he could find a little bit more of the ball during the pre-season it wouldn't surprise me if he lines up in round one.

I have actually been thinking about this for a while.

Think the next big improver on our list could be Cunningham.

He showed quite a few good signs late last year at training, and his defensive pressure in the forward line was fantastic.

If he could find a little bit more of the ball during the pre-season it wouldn't surprise me if he lines up in round one.
Who's spot does he take Bonz? I have the following line up atm for round 1:

Def: AJ, Grundy, Smith, 'Eski, Teddy, Shaw
Mid/Follow: Pyke, JPK, Jack, Macca, Rok, Birdy
Fwd: Hanners, Buddy, Goodes, Benny, Tip, Reidy

Int: Mitchell, Parker, LRT, Rohan/Jetta

I just can't fit him in, not with one of Jetta/Rohan also missing too (based on the above anyway).

EDIT: I also think Rampe & BJack are a chance too.

Who's spot does he take Bonz? I have the following line up atm for round 1:

Def: AJ, Grundy, Smith, 'Eski, Teddy, Shaw
Mid/Follow: Pyke, JPK, Jack, Macca, Rok, Birdy
Fwd: Hanners, Buddy, Goodes, Benny, Tip, Reidy

Int: Mitchell, Parker, LRT, Rohan/Jetta

I just can't fit him in, not with one of Jetta/Rohan also missing too (based on the above anyway).

EDIT: I also think Rampe & BJack are a chance too.

Honestly not sure where he will fit in at the moment, I do think if he has a strong pre-season and goes well in the practice matches it will be pretty hard not to play him (At least as the sub).

That and we are probably going to have one or two platers unavailable going into the start of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a discussion forum though, all we are doing is raising hypotheticals.

Who do you honestly think the biggest improver on our list is going to be next year?

Bedfords team would be very interesting.

I truly hope we have a full list to pick from come Rnd 1 so we get what Horse thinks the best 22 actually is. It would be intriguing to actually see what he reckons if he had a full list (with form not really being a huge issue come the first round).

That's interesting, not sure he'll be getting a game week in-week out next year, must be fighting hard to make sure he's a regular starter.

If Bird can greatly improve his endurance I can see him very easily becoming an even more important member of our midfield next year (He certainly has the talent to).

I truly hope we have a full list to pick from come Rnd 1 so we get what Horse thinks the best 22 actually is. It would be intriguing to actually see what he reckons if he had a full list (with form not really being a huge issue come the first round).

I'm not sure what Longmire would do, but I would wager that he would play all of Goodes, LRT, Jetta, Mitchell and Johnson as he wouldn't want 5 players in the side who had interrupted pre-seasons.

I don't know, you don't know, I just hope they a
ll improve a bit. Anyhow this thread is pre season.

No-one knows for sure but it is certainly quite entertaining to speculate upon, I mean you never know we may have someone break out like Goodes did in 2003.

I would have no problem if they played Goodes , LRT , Mitchell , AJ , Shaw in R1 , there going to play at some stage anyway why not start getting match fit straight away , Goodes , LRT , Shaw have been around long enough to know if there capable of playing at the top end straight away and know how fit they have to be for AFL and Mitchell ran a PB in the 3k last week and beat most of the others on our list , also AJ is an elite runner and has won quite a few 3k last year and would know if he is up to it now.
From what I have seen at training AJ and Mitchell look extremely fit they both just run and run, when I was there both had started some skills and going by reports they both are starting back with the main group next ala LRT to , there is still 7 weeks till R1 they have plenty of time for skill work and be ready for R1.
All have done enough running for a good fitness base

Remove this Banner Ad

Back