Opinion Our coaches, leadership, game style, and everything else

Remove this Banner Ad

It flattered us to a point. I think 4th is rightfully where we deserved to finish. Had some silly losses, some shocking losses but deserved to win most of the games we did win. We couldve finished first. We shouldve beaten Freo.

Fix some list holes, tweak the gameplan a bit so we can score more and we will be back amungst it.

Reid, Buddy, Jack, Parker.

The equivalent for the Hawks?
Let's say, Hodge, Gunston, Lewis, Shiels.

Hell!
Whenever Hodge misses a game Clarko doesn't look like a supercoach.
Hoxge makes the Hawks.

Hawks 6-3 the last 9 times hodge missed, all 3 losses under 2 goals i believe

It flattered us to a point. I think 4th is rightfully where we deserved to finish. Had some silly losses, some shocking losses but deserved to win most of the games we did win. We couldve finished first. We shouldve beaten Freo.

Fix some list holes, tweak the gameplan a bit so we can score more and we will be back amungst it.

Agree, need a big offseason, bring in reasonable talent, change the gamplan so we attack just to hold ground and have a chance

Lots of work but more than capable

But screaming from the mountains about how great we have been or how injured we were means nothing for the future. Club needs an honest evaluation and if it does this we are capable of the ultimate success

Agree, need a big offseason, bring in reasonable talent, change the gamplan so we attack just to hold ground and have a chance

Lots of work but more than capable

But screaming from the mountains about how great we have been or how injured we were means nothing for the future. Club needs an honest evaluation and if it does this we are capable of the ultimate success
Injuries are part of the honest evaluation too. Could we have won the games with those 4 players in? Maybe. Probably. Just shows our depth (other than the midfield ill be willing to say) isnt too amazing. Rose and Heeney show lots of promise but they arent Reid and Buddy

The author does say that it'd be ridiculous if the swans pulled the plug on Horse, in fact it'll probably one of the more bizarre sackings in the history of the league. But the author does have a point, we lack motivation or at least I agree with that. The hunger we had back in 2012 and even 2013 has been long lost.
We made a grand final in 2014 where was the lack of hunger then?

We made a grand final in 2014 where was the lack of hunger then?
Well that's not really a great argument considering we pretty much flopped on the day. But regardless my main issue is with hunger in terms of what Horse demands. So what I mean is he demands an insane amount of pressure each game, which to me personally is ridiculous as it is too taxing on the body. However this does work when a team is very motivated or 'hungry' because they just sense they have nothing to lose whereas complacency leads to the whole insane pressure gameplan to fall. Just my opinion.

Hopefully Horse can learn from the year that he needs to reassess the coaching panel around him. Also, does he know where his own deficiencies are so he can go out and recruit coaches who are strong in those areas?

If we look at performance based reviews, surely Playfair as a forward line coach is in trouble. The burning question though is where does Dew sit in all of this. He seems to have gone out of favor around the league, why? If that is the opinion around the league, what is ours and should we consider where he is at with us? Any chance he has been earmarked for a succession plan from Longmire?

Last edited:
When you rely on a total pressure game like we do (against quality opposition that is) it basically means you need everyone in the 22 to contribute. This immediately exposes us to the quality of the 22 we put onto the field. A couple of injuries, and suddenly that bottom six is really under the pump. Then you play a side like the Hawks who really target your strengths (JPK, Hannas, Parker and Jetta were attacked mercilessly in that game in 2014), so now not only are you exposed at the weak end of your 22, your weapons at the top are taken away from you as well.

Does the system collapse under this sort of pressure? Well we've seen that it can. The question is how to fight your way out of the hole when this all happens and turn it around if a team has the better of you for an hour or so.

The thing that irritates me is that one of the best ways to fight your way out of a hole is to have a quality attacking game. Teams like the Hawks can be quite awful for sustained periods (or be well contained by an opposition game plan, for a quarter or two) but when you know you can kick 5 goals in ten minutes at any stage, no game EVER gets out of your control.

That's what I want us to be like. And we have the attacking ability to do it, too!

We finished 5th!
4 positions i side the 8!
Why don't you save your negativity for when we do finish outside the 8?

I was talking at round 23

Its the off season i think the list and gameplan needs work, thats the topic of the thread, i see the potential in this list with a new gameplan to win a flag, you are happy with 5th as you put it

Spare me the negativity please

Take out Mitchell as well.

You reckon Clarko's genius gameplan turns Smith & Hill in to supermen?

Hodge & mitchell out render the Hawks near useless.
I've been saying it for a few years.

78-21 in the last 99 games, 2 premierships, 2 kicks off it being 3, going for a 3rd if they win 2 more games

You bang on about what we have done as justification no one can bag horse, you blame injuries for our losses, then you try to dismiss the record clarkson has amassed? Spare me, hawks managed plenty of injuries over the premiership years

Injuries are part of the honest evaluation too. Could we have won the games with those 4 players in? Maybe. Probably. Just shows our depth (other than the midfield ill be willing to say) isnt too amazing. Rose and Heeney show lots of promise but they arent Reid and Buddy

Agree 100%

Thats why this trade period is crucial, so that 4 injuries do not hit as hard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take out Mitchell as well.

You reckon Clarko's genius gameplan turns Smith & Hill in to supermen?

Hodge & mitchell out render the Hawks near useless.
I've been saying it for a few years.
Didn't they have more scoring shots than us without Hodge and Mitchell when we scraped through?

78-21 in the last 99 games, 2 premierships, 2 kicks off it being 3, going for a 3rd if they win 2 more games

You bang on about what we have done as justification no one can bag horse, you blame injuries for our losses, then you try to dismiss the record clarkson has amassed? Spare me, hawks managed plenty of injuries over the premiership years

Ok!

Didn't they have more scoring shots than us without Hodge and Mitchell when we scraped through?

Imagine if our equivalent to buddy leaving hawthorn in 2013 walked out in free agency

How would we cope

Imagine if our equivalent to buddy leaving hawthorn in 2013 walked out in free agency

How would we cope
Just fine. We would blame the boxes inadequacies on free agency instead of injury.

Get a bloody out sider in ( new ideas ) these bullshitt moves like playfair , mattner etc going straight into coaching after playing under horse etc is stupidity
Bye bye dew , playfair

Even camp from crows

Campo signed on at the crows

But I like the idea, just someone to come in and ask why we do things how we do, someone for horse to get something fresh from, not someone he has taught

Joel Corey or some ex cat type

Remove this Banner Ad

Back