Senior Asistant/Midfield Coach - Stuart Dew
Stoppage Coach - Josh Francou
Forwards Coach - Brett Kirk
Defensive Coach - Henry Playfair
Coaching Director/Head of Development - John Blakey
Development Coach - Nick Davis
Reserves Coach - Rhyce Shaw
Academy Coaching Director - Jared Crouch

A couple of strange appointments in my opinion but what the hell do I know? Brett Kirk coaching the forwards and Henry Playfair coaching the backs. Hmmm.....OK. Brett Kirk was a in and under contested football beast. I understand you don't have to coach the position you played but I would have thought he would have been fantastic as a stoppage coach with a wealth of knowledge about structures. Playfair was a mediocre forward and I'm not all that impressed with the work he's done in coaching our forward line as it is but now he's a defensive coach? I've got no real oversight besides what I see on the field but I am definitely surprised at those two appointments.

Yes the Kirk/Playfair roles lept out at me too.

Re: Kirk. Perhaps we're looking to improve our forward 50 defensive set ups. Basically, St Kilda got into a couple of GFs tightening that area up, and it was again a feature at Freo. So we can take that IP straight from Ross Lyon.

Playfair as defensive coach is like making stevie J the conditioning coach

They probably thought if he can't teach Buddy and co to kick goals he might be able to work the same magic at the other end so to speak.

Look, on the one hand, I appreciate coaching is a separate skill and the habit the AFL has of assuming star players will be star coaches is a bad one, and there's no reason why the fact Playfair was a journeyman utility and Kirk played about 20 minutes in the forward line in his entire career doesn't mean they can't have valuable insights in terms of structures, gameplan, etc.

On the other hand, wtf?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Longmire used to be a midfield coach back in the day, and many pondered why he wasn't the forward coach. It's not where you played your career, though, it's whether you are a good coach or not that counts more, I would assume.

I remember Longmire used to be a midfield coach back in the day, and many pondered why he wasn't the forward coach. It's not where you played your career, though, it's whether you are a good coach or not that counts more, I would assume.

Agreed

To me its just odd to jump from one to another in the playfair case

Agreed

We did use to change roles on a yearly basis and some clubs still do it now. Hawthorn even threw their roles around after winning a Premiership in 2013, heck Adam Yze went from being their goal kicking coach in 2014 to their defensive coach in 2015. So its not that odd, just unexpected.

Still won't mean a thing if the gameplan doesn't change

We did use to change roles on a yearly basis and some clubs still do it now. Hawthorn even threw their roles around after winning a Premiership in 2013, heck Adam Yze went from being their goal kicking coach in 2014 to their defensive coach in 2015. So its not that odd, just unexpected.

That's interesting to know. I guess its a career development thing which makes sense. You need a breadth of knowledge if you're going to develop as a coach. I'm was more along the lines of what you can bring to the team. I didn't see a lot of innovation in our forward line and I'd say we underperform considering the talent we have. I just don't know what Playfair brings to the table. Having said that I'm just a couch critic and don't know the dynamics within the coaching team.

Fair point, guess Rightly or wrongly I am surprised Playfair can coach anything

Fair point, guess Rightly or wrongly I am surprised Playfair can coach anything
To be fair b/w him and davis they have taught some terrible kicks to be able to put it through the sticks far far more often. both buddy and tippo are better kicks now than they were......

Still not sure what that says about sam reid.....

Just putting it out there.

Wouldn't mind getting Dew out of the coaching box. Midfield group been below par now for a season and a week.
Was hoping he got a coaching gig over the off season.

Just putting it out there.

Wouldn't mind getting Dew out of the coaching box. Midfield group been below par now for a season and a week.
Was hoping he got a coaching gig over the off season.

Plus he takes up two seats

Agreed

It probably makes sense in correlating fwd and def. Forwards are trying to work out how to beat defenders and vice versa. It would just be nice to see a staunch old backman, aka Dunkley, Barry, etc coaching or defence.

Kirk coaching our forwards is a it of a shock. His strength has always been midfield. Then again Brendan Bolten has proven that you don't need to have played at the top level in order to understand the game and the same would apply to positions.

You can only assume that Longmire knows what he's doing.

It probably makes sense in correlating fwd and def. Forwards are trying to work out how to beat defenders and vice versa. It would just be nice to see a staunch old backman, aka Dunkley, Barry, etc coaching or defence.

Kirk coaching our forwards is a it of a shock. His strength has always been midfield. Then again Brendan Bolten has proven that you don't need to have played at the top level in order to understand the game and the same would apply to positions.

You can only assume that Longmire knows what he's doing.

Well the last line I have never been sure of

Remove this Banner Ad

Back