Opinion Our coaches, leadership, game style, and everything else

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are you and what have you done with Millky
hqdefault.jpg

He he he!

1.5 * 6 = 9
1.1 * 9 = 9.9

So guaranteed an extra million. After 6 years, who is to say he would get another contract? Or What he would earn (he may have been offered 300k or so)? Therfore no guarantee.

They are fairly similar offers, so I would argue both ours and GWS offers would be market value. Our offer was more guaranteed money and more years. GWS higher per year, but no guarantees after year 6.

So from money and security, in his eyes our offer could have been superior if the AFL didnt take the GWS offer "above market value".

And I would say "Above market value" because no one in the market was going to pay 2 million per year. The best offer was 1.5 million, but the AFL was going to top up the market value.
The AFL top up is not market value. It makes it an outlier. The AFL are great with their outliers. They call it equalisation

Not if the topic is "let's find every reason possible to bash our own club".
Then every thread since the 2014 GF has been on-topic, because that's been the subject for a good 90% of the posts on here.

I believe our game style has to evolve into a far more clinical delivery style. Hawks, doggies, Crows etc all delivering elite delivery by hand and foot. We can't continue to waste the ball. I believe there has to be far more emphasis on skills at training and the players should be encouraged to develop their skills in their spare time. They are professional sports people they should be living their sport. All the best tennis players, basketballers, cricketers, soccer players etc put extra time into their game. Beckham practised for hours on his own to perfect his 'Bend it like Beckham' even once he became famous for it.

1. Wasting the ball causes turnovers and in today's game you will be punished.

2. The long bomb is still a preferred method of delivery to the forwardline. this part equates to point one in that we waste too many of these bombs by kicking it directly to the opposition. If we are bombing to a 50/50 then there is the chance of a crumb if the crumbers are there. But they must be in place. We need to institute a crumbing regime.

3. There has been a lot of talk about where we are going to get our speed from now that Jetta is gone. But in fact we have some really quick players; BJ, Towers, Harry, Ramps, Rose, Zacky, Benny (if he is still fit to play), AJ (if we ever get him back) and Big Sammy N is a it of a galloper. But we do have to draft some speed, speedy good ball users not just speed.

4. Our set ups at stoppages improved greatly last season. I hope there will be an increased improvement. We need to be able to pound sides into submission at the stoppages just like Hawks do but without the punches in the face and stomach that Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell dish out.

5. Goal kicking has to improve. The AFL sides are all pretty crap at this. I can't get how a side that plays at Etihad, no names, can have a crap goal kicking ratio. Ours is not fantastic either and I think lots of time perfecting this with Nick Davis please.

6. Our forward set up must be more stable and Sam Reid needs to know what he is doing. I believe he should play permanent CHF. Buddy should be given a license to go wherever he wants. He is effective no matter where he is on the field and can have a huge impact both on the scoreboard and as a running player. The small and medium forwards must be far better at locking the ball in and crumbing in 2016.

1.5 * 6 = 9
1.1 * 9 = 9.9

So guaranteed an extra million. After 6 years, who is to say he would get another contract? Or What he would earn (he may have been offered 300k or so)? Therfore no guarantee.

They are fairly similar offers, so I would argue both ours and GWS offers would be market value. Our offer was more guaranteed money and more years. GWS higher per year, but no guarantees after year 6.

So from money and security, in his eyes our offer could have been superior if the AFL didnt take the GWS offer "above market value".

And I would say "Above market value" because no one in the market was going to pay 2 million per year. The best offer was 1.5 million, but the AFL was going to top up the market value.
I know what you are saying, excluding the AFL "top up" he'll get $1m less per the GWS offer (Syd $10m/9 & GWS $$9m/6). Then he needs to factor in the security of that additional $1m over the last 3 years at Sydney or risk not getting injured at GWS to play on after 6 years. It's all based around the 'value' of that last 3 years @ $1m. From my point of view he's realistically going to be offered a contract after the 6years is up at GWS for much more than $300k/yr over 2-3 years. Yes, I agree, some freak career ending injury could happen however the fact remains it's more likely than not, based on other players and history, he will have further contract(s) after the 6 years, negotiated under an increased salary cap and including inflation from todays value in any event. Even with minor injury niggles and a decline in form, he's still a player worth more than the $300k in todays terms in 7years time ($300k would be worth more like $500k in todays terms by then anyway!). I would assume, injury permitting, in what was yr 7 & 8 of our contract he'd make up the $1m easy (inc. inflation).

Taking a more holistic view, I would argue the AFL "top up" forms a part of the contract value as if he was to go to the open market and request a contract that is the value he could receive from a willing participant in the market. The market doesn't have to be fair, or even, or equal. The participants in the market don't have to be equal. Some have advantages others hinderances... It's just GWS had an advantage other participants didn't. At the same time they have an advatange another club could be at a disadvantage (e.g. trade ban). It doesn't necessarily follow that you can then exclude what GWS are offering in totality as 'value' simply due to not all participants having the same access to funding. That'd be like saying the real value of a mansion in Malibu is $680,000 as that's the average that everyone who would want to buy that particular plot of land could afford to pay for it. Never mind that Richard Branson has an extra $40m he's willing to splurge on it, he has access to that funding while the rest of us don't... The market isn't fair or equal. If participants are willing & able to pay for something that is traded on the open market then the price is set by how much they are willing to spend (including which advatages they are willing to utilise in doing so).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can never understand why clubs appoint coaches in charge of departments they never played in. Eg kirk as forwards coach. What is kirk going to teach buddy and tippett about being a key forward. Its like he was exactly a precision kicker who could instruct the players where to lead and when to lead, what positions are easier for mids to kick to etc..

Doesnt make sense to me

To develop them into senior coaches - gives them experience coaching more than just where they played and gives more than one area of responsibility before they become senior coaches. Also helps the senior coach as if he wants an opinion on say the forwards he doesn't just have to speak with the forwards coach but the assistants who have coached there as well.

Its not as simple as you played there, you should coach there. Horse was our midfield coach during our 2005 Premiership run. His lack of time playing as a midfielder during his career didn't hurt then did it?

I can never understand why clubs appoint coaches in charge of departments they never played in. Eg kirk as forwards coach. What is kirk going to teach buddy and tippett about being a key forward. Its like he was exactly a precision kicker who could instruct the players where to lead and when to lead, what positions are easier for mids to kick to etc..

Doesnt make sense to me

I snuck in and stole Kirky's plan.

Don't worry he has it covered.

upload_2015-11-24_16-53-32.png

An improvement from Longmire's plan which has everyone in the defensive 50

I was impressed he pushed them up the field a bit.

Drawing may not have been to scale of course.

Why have you drawn a big penis?

Damn now I have to delete his post. To think he nearly got away with it. My standards must be slipping! :p

Minds out of the guttter people... :oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back