Opinion Our Countdown Song - ie Port's Never Tear Us Apart

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sorry, but I can only do the bobbing down bit. Far too hard to do any bobbing up at my age.:p
4000 posts!

tumblr_le0lfa5uuA1qdbeo7o1_250.gif

4000 posts in nearly 14 years? It almost looks like I have a life! (Except that I have 15660 posts on a non-footy site that I joined four months after BF.):p

4000 posts in nearly 14 years? It almost looks like I have a life! (Except that I have 15660 posts on a non-footy site that I joined four months after BF.):p
Dammit Chicago, you post too much. Go get a life. :p

:(

Ok, cutting the criteria down to well known massive rock anthems I'd like to suggest:

U2 - Where the streets have no name. Yeah I know I know, they've gone all cheesey and Bono's like your annoying uncle, but they have some killer songs. This one has a mega long build up that rises and rises and will have everyone well and truly frothing by the time it gets to its shouty intro 'I wanna run, I wanna hide, I wanna tear down these walls that keep me inside'. Would work very well with a montage of footscray back streets leading to whitten oval.

Oasis - Wonderwall. Even kids will know the words to this one. Yes, it's a love song, but it's got bite and the words could be construed to be about footy. Massive sing-along tune.

I also love the idea of the Holy grail, but I think that's already everybody's property, its the unofficial AFL anthem, there would be a highlight package of every grams final with this add the sound track. It's too late to claim it as truly our own song.

For the players entering, Dogs Are Talking, The Angels (about the 1st minute) - need some new lyrics relevant to the bulldogs though:)
Starts well to let everyone know they are about to enter, then builds nicely until they burst through the banner (or actually enter the ground).

For the players entering, Dogs Are Talking, The Angels (about the 1st minute) - need some new lyrics relevant to the bulldogs though:)
Starts well to let everyone know they are about to enter, then builds nicely until they burst through the banner (or actually enter the ground).
Could work for our next prelim.

"If it's ever gonna happen it'll happen tonight..." :oops:

Great song, remember it getting a run just after quarter time against Sydney a couple of years ago.

ok so it looks pretty clear that the club is going to go down this path, according to Peter Gordon on 774 the other day. So let me preface this by saying that I understand this is all about attracting new people to the footy and perhaps enhancing the experience for those that already go. It's not about supporters like me and many others on here, the rusted on die hards who just love the game. I get that. I'm all for it from that point of view, but depending on what they do, it may in fact make my experience worse and may even make me think more about not going to games....that would be extreme for me.

That said, you can't manufacture this stuff. The Port pre-game stuff was on the back of moving to a new and better stadium and on their improved on field performance. I doubt very much that it will be sung when they are down the bottom again but I guess only time will tell. As the song says they shouldn't throw out their tarps.

To me, what we are thinking of is just copying what they have done. It's not innovative, it's very manufactured. Nothing we do will work unless we are winning.

When I was growing up I could go to a game at 9am, watch the U19s then the reserves and then the main game. These days there is nothing but loud noise and guy on microphone interviewing nobodies in the crowd. It's really boring. A step in the right direction is we now have several VFL games at Whitten Oval leading into our main game at Docklands. I love it. But a game on before the main game now and then would be an even better step. Don't worry about team warm ups 40 mins before a game, they used to manage without it once before.

The great thing about AFL footy is the game...unlike many other sports where the game is lacking and it requires other non game related activities to keep the crowd amused. Putting on a song 2 minutes before the start of the game is not the long term answer.

Get more footy on menu, give the fans even more bang for their buck, hell let kids in for free and forget this fashionable crap that Bloody Port does. See how many sing the song when they start to lose again.

I agree with TempleKelvington above, we would just be copying what Port have and it would come up as contrived. By all means come up with some pre-match thing to get the crowd involved but ripping off another teams shtick won't end up working.

But it sounds like we are going to go down this track as Peter Gordon sounds very keen and even said he's got Mark Seymour helping out to get something up. So since we are going to do it I'd suggest this song:

To me it works as its very easy to sing along to, its a classic well liked song and the words are very apt. Not backing down is a message you could send through the club and use it as a type of brand.

Last edited:
I agree with TempleKelvington above, we would just be copying what Port have and it would come up as contrived. By all means come up with some pre-match thing to get the crowd involved but ripping off another teams shtick won't end up working.

But it sounds like we are going to go down this track as Peter Gordon sounds very keen and even said he's got Mark Seymour helping out to get something up. So since we are going to do it I'd suggest this song:

To me it works as its very easy to sing along to, its a classic well liked song and the words are very apt. Not backing down is a message you could send through the club and use it as a type of brand.

Pretty much agree,i have been worried about this idea from the outset - full marks to Port, but copying another teams idea is fraught with danger and just not cool.
I can just imagine the club delving into Etihad Stadiums catalog of 80's thud rock and coming up with some outdated anthem that is both inappropriate and cringeworthy, you only have to see what they are planning for our guernsey for round 6 - all shockers.
However if the club is going to go down this path then i may as well put my two bobs worth in. I have to say that i found the English sing along 'Bobbing up and down like this' a real charmer.I think its appropriate ,(our club song) original (i doubt any other club would think of it) and as some posters have pointed out is not quite taking the piss but also not taking ourselves too seriously.With a bit of creative doctoring of the black and white video,like say red white and blue scarves on the Master of Ceremony and some of the crowd and even a sign on the stage saying Footscray Town Hall ,if done well,would come up a treat on the big screen and really involve the supporters.
Of the other suggestions, yes Tom Petty's I won't Back Down' is not too bad - easy to listen to and appropriate lyrics.
I also thought Meg Macks 'Roll Up Your Sleeves' could work.
For a small club like ours we need to be original so that we stand out from the others- no roar meters please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok so it looks pretty clear that the club is going to go down this path, according to Peter Gordon on 774 the other day. So let me preface this by saying that I understand this is all about attracting new people to the footy and perhaps enhancing the experience for those that already go. It's not about supporters like me and many others on here, the rusted on die hards who just love the game. I get that. I'm all for it from that point of view, but depending on what they do, it may in fact make my experience worse and may even make me think more about not going to games....that would be extreme for me.

That said, you can't manufacture this stuff. The Port pre-game stuff was on the back of moving to a new and better stadium and on their improved on field performance. I doubt very much that it will be sung when they are down the bottom again but I guess only time will tell. As the song says they shouldn't throw out their tarps.

To me, what we are thinking of is just copying what they have done. It's not innovative, it's very manufactured. Nothing we do will work unless we are winning.

When I was growing up I could go to a game at 9am, watch the U19s then the reserves and then the main game. These days there is nothing but loud noise and guy on microphone interviewing nobodies in the crowd. It's really boring. A step in the right direction is we now have several VFL games at Whitten Oval leading into our main game at Docklands. I love it. But a game on before the main game now and then would be an even better step. Don't worry about team warm ups 40 mins before a game, they used to manage without it once before.

The great thing about AFL footy is the game...unlike many other sports where the game is lacking and it requires other non game related activities to keep the crowd amused. Putting on a song 2 minutes before the start of the game is not the long term answer.

Get more footy on menu, give the fans even more bang for their buck, hell let kids in for free and forget this fashionable crap that Bloody Port does. See how many sing the song when they start to lose again.
Completely agree, and if we pick something cheesy it's going to be terrible. Never Tear Us Apart is pretty much the perfect song for this; cross-generational appeal, Australian, easy to sing along to, and makes sense lyrics wise. And is also just a ******* good song. Port nailed it. Nothing suggested on this board I'd be close to happy with (no offence to those who posted, I'm more making the point that it's a goddamn difficult task). I'd rather we didn't bother.

I have, on and off over the years, had the last 64 seconds of The Beatles Hey Bulldog as my ringtone, the crowd response is simply "hey bulldog" and a wolf call. High charged, simple and effective.

Was thinking of Tom Petty just yesterday and thought it would fit well. Smart minds.

Rip off Liverpool's "Never walk alone"

If you going to do it, why not take the best. There on the other side of the world anyway.

I've been there and you can't beat that song and atmosphere.

Either that or American Trilogy by Elvis, changing the odd word to suit. Glory Glory Hallelujah, needs to be a big powerful song.

I look forward to getting a free run to the bar when all the happy clappers are participating in this totally original, grass roots and supporter (albeit it handed down by Peter Gordon and the AFL) lead initiative. Don't forget to bring your RW&B tea towels to wave around kids! which I'm sure will look great on TV, keep in mind its a spectacle probably best saved for when we're challenging for flags, not so much in the lean years of fickle fans and near empty stadiums. Now that we're once again at the cutting edge of brand marketing, perhaps our club can continue with these ground breaking ideas. I'd like to suggest a few if I may. We become the first club to initiate the playing of incredibly loud music whenever there's a score or better still the slightest break of play, its only a slight variation from the quarter and half time breaks, so selling it to fans should be a doddle. It seems to work OK in the NBA why not the AFL? FLARES!!!!!They seem to be popular whenever I watch the A league. Better still lets not be provincial about this, we should look at the home of Soccer. We could be the first to have an official a hooligans section, they're quite big in European football I hear. They could even gather early and march en masse to the game singing inspirational songs derived from the great marches of '39/40, we'll never have a thread complaining about the lack of media attention again. How 'bout we all park our giant coal rolling trucks side by side in the car park and have tailgate keg beer and BBQ parties, the smell alone would be AMAZING!!! let alone the camaraderie that would engender between fellow Bulldog fans prior to a game! Surely nobodies doing that yet?

What can I say. I'm an ideas guy!

We probably need a newish song that the younger generation can relate to. There are lots of songs posted here that I like, Go West by the Village People is good.

But, for an oldie good, belt it out sing-along-song, here is one that I like:
ROLL OUT THE BARREL

Roll out the barrel
We'll have a barrel of fun
Roll out the barrel
We'll have the Blues on the run - (or the Saints, Dons, Lions etc)
Ted, Bob or Darrel - (Ted followed by current captain name, followed by Darrel who can be anyone)
We'll have a game of good cheer
Now's the time to roll the barrel
For the gang's all here.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9SfyObUd5e8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some barrels to look at:

This song is already used as a football song.

TK - in recent years on occasion, there have been past players interviewed before a game, or may have been half time break.
If we had a regular pre-game feature, maybe 5 mins long, featuring highlights of a past player, but don't just restrict it to the guys who attend games, or still live in the general area (and as the highlights fade out, fade in the line from Mike Brady's version of the club song ..."when the Dogs rise up in the west!"

Maybe even do a duet - e.g. Lally and Beaser discussing the 85 finals, Maylin and Buhagiar on their shock at starting on the bench in QF 85, McGuinness and Royal on their friendly rivalry, Dunstan and Templeton on who was BOG in 78 in THAT game,and some left field ones - Gags Gallagher and Georgey B on their club swaps in 73, Toohey and Coleman on driving to games squeezed into BT's ute (saw them a few times arrive in carparks, not a small car, but two big boys getting out - lol), Kolyniuk and Kretiuk on the fight during pre-season, the 3 Cordy boys, there's a lot of potential there.

(Actually, if there's anyone from the club reading this, I reckon I could get you enough interesting combinations to last 9-10 seasons...! :p)

TK - in recent years on occasion, there have been past players interviewed before a game, or may have been half time break.
If we had a regular pre-game feature, maybe 5 mins long, featuring highlights of a past player, but don't just restrict it to the guys who attend games, or still live in the general area (and as the highlights fade out, fade in the line from Mike Brady's version of the club song ..."when the Dogs rise up in the west!"

Maybe even do a duet - e.g. Lally and Beaser discussing the 85 finals, Maylin and Buhagiar on their shock at starting on the bench in QF 85, McGuinness and Royal on their friendly rivalry, Dunstan and Templeton on who was BOG in 78 in THAT game,and some left field ones - Gags Gallagher and Georgey B on their club swaps in 73, Toohey and Coleman on driving to games squeezed into BT's ute (saw them a few times arrive in carparks, not a small car, but two big boys getting out - lol), Kolyniuk and Kretiuk on the fight during pre-season, the 3 Cordy boys, there's a lot of potential there.

(Actually, if there's anyone from the club reading this, I reckon I could get you enough interesting combinations to last 9-10 seasons...! :p)

I think that could be part of something for sure. I think they will need to have a package of things to improve the pre-game experience, that is if they don't put a game on. I know this year, I think Sunday games kids get in free. Maybe have the kids on the ground for a clinic pre-game.

I reckon we should make it for all our home games bar the really big supported ones which let's face it is maybe one or 2.

Bring back kick to kick after the siren for everyone. I think the interviews would be great for us guys still living in the past but we need something else for the next gen.

I think the interviews would be great for us guys still living in the past but we need something else for the next gen.

Yep, but if you alternate the age of the past players, say recent retirees in home game #1, some older guys in home game #2, or even a recent retiree and an older one together each home game, so most supporters have some degree of recognition. Maybe have Steve Wallis and Tony Liberatore for one week, and have a split photo on the screen with the fathers in their playing days on one side of the screen, and Mitch and Tom on the other.

Or one week, have Harvey Stevens, John Schultz, Gary Dempsey, Scott Wynd/Luke Darcy to stand together and show how the height of ruckmen has evolved.

When Murphy plays his 300th, have a big #2 on the banner and get Kolyniuk, Cousins, Quinlan, Loveless, Sewell and Reynolds out on the ground - maybe all weraing their old jumpers, if they fit into them!!!

It simply wont work in a half empty stadium, one of the worst ideas the club has had in some time IMO

Need to fill the stadium up with mannequins dressed in club colours in the empty seats, or cardboard cut-outs. Check Gia's twitter or instagram account (I forget which) has a cardboard cutout of himself wearing a variety of outfits or in a variety of situations, just order 15-20k of these...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back