Analysis Our forward line - KPF depth?

like an argument with my missus, half way in and im now arguing about what is it we are aguing about...

Nah that's bullshit mate, we were arguing about personnel not structure.

Was impressed with Ambrose, really stepped up to fill the Crameri type role, Chapman is just money, I really liked the fact that we used mids out of the square as the game went, Jobe, BJ etc spent quality minutes and hit the scoreboard, oh, let's not forget, how good is Joe Daniher going to be!! There are still enough concerns there though, we dominated the contest, yet Norf were still in the hunt in the final quarter. Need to make sure we get more shots on goal for that many entries.

Smokin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Just got through the first quarter of the Tigers game.

Ambrose was easily the most active tall forward. Repeat efforts at ground level were good, worked hard to pressure at ground level, took a mark on the wing on the lead, should have been rewarded with mark/free kick directly in front 25m out, 5 or 6 touches in total and even provided a link on the opposition side of the circle at one stage.

Basically doing everything we want that third tall/midsized/leading forward to be doing.

Kicking action pretty bad but if that is his first 20 minutes in the big leagues I'd say what we need is right under our noses.

Punt Road is a postage stamp too. Would be even better suited to the open spaces of the G (and to a less extent Docklands).

I agree, I think Ambrose should be the one to be used.

But, I feel with so many ?? on the forward line, they wont go with a first gamer.

He does play the way that position should, is big and strong with a tank for days. Id persist.

We got there! Still surpised we went with 3 debutantes, and absolutely wrapped it worked so well.

Ambrose was very impressive - first gamer in a very hard position, but just seems tailor made it.

Now lets hope he doesnt get the lazies and rest on his strength ala the last bloke. Needs to ensure he blows his opponent up - whoever can run with him cant go with him int he air, and vice versa.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I just posted this in another thread but what was so pleasing was the inside 50's coming from our most prime ball movers. The guys with the poise and class, the smart decision making, the elite ball skills.

Here's the top inside 50's from last night

Paul Chapman - 8
David Zaharakis - 8
Brendon Goddard - 7
Jobe Watson - 6
Jackson Merret - 6
David Myers - 4

Is most pleasing because it is being driven by the elite guys, not selling guys like Hibberd/ Dempsey (when he is fit and in), Baguley short but would prefer the list from last night compared to the drive from last year.

Exciting times for Essendon fans IMO.

The other notable, notable thing was our 'get out' kick deep inside the forward 25 with genuine capabilities to take a high mark.
I like that we didn't use it until we were much closer to the 50 arc than in previous years so the contest was in a dangerous place close to goal rather than 30-40 out where the opposition could run it out easily. The chipping around outside the 50 seemed to have the effect of drawing the opposition out of our 50 to man up, leaving is less cramped than it otherwise would have been.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Finally watched a full replay, was really keen to see how forward line functioned, the big fellas in particular.....was a huge tick for me.

Was really surprised at Carlisle's work rate...covered a lot of ground, presented well up the ground and then worked back inside 50 and had that great intangible of "presence." Will play worse than that and kick 2-3, was a much better performance than I anticipated based on stats. He and JD seemed to work well together....can't remember them getting in each others way at all.

If JD can play like that every week with the odd bigger game thrown in every now and then that's all we need from him. He's a match up nightmare and will get hold of a team every now and then this year, particularly if Carlisle starts really demanding the best defenders.

Best of all , the ball used to pinball out of our inside 50 last year against the better teams, didn't on Friday night because:
(1) JD and Carlisle can regularly take contested marks inside 50
(2) When they don't defenders still can't kill the ball so they create plenty of soft crumbs; and
(3) When the ball hits the deck they stay in the play and either hunt the footy or apply real tackling pressure

More optimistic now that TBC can play significant forward minutes with JD and Carlisle....their ability to cover ground is much better then I imagined, so my visions of his statuesque combination with Gumby last year have subsided....that said, barring him needing to be managed for workload reasons, I don't think he should ever play ahead of JD.

I like that we didn't use it until we were much closer to the 50 arc than in previous years so the contest was in a dangerous place close to goal rather than 30-40 out where the opposition could run it out easily. The chipping around outside the 50 seemed to have the effect of drawing the opposition out of our 50 to man up, leaving is less cramped than it otherwise would have been.

The great thing about that is that Myers, Fletcher, Hurley and Goddard can all comfortably take potshots from 55m or more if the opposition sits deeper.

The great thing about that is that Myers, Fletcher, Hurley and Goddard can all comfortably take potshots from 55m or more if the opposition sits deeper.
Could throw Paddy in there too

rines

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Will be very keen to see how the set up goes against Hawks.. and then Freo.. the Freo game particularly will tell us exactly where our forward line stands.. and whether it will work against the more defensive minded teams.

Next two weeks will be a stern test of the set up.

Having now watched the replay, I reckon Ambrose really helped our structures, and a few of his positions and contests resulted in shots on goal. Really liked his mark inside centre square, where he played on and chipped it in front of Chappy. I wonder if we'll see Carlisle, TBC and Ambrose if/when JD is resting in the VFL.

Agree that we needed to work more scoring shots out of such dominance. That said, we didn't really kick backwards or sideways too much, it was just waiting for the right short target. I counted four OOF shots on goal too. But maybe we have to give some credit to North's marking in defence that we couldn't generate more shots.

If you add pace of Dempsey/Winders, you would expect a few more quicker forays forward to goal, rather than the assured build-up. That said, I prefer holding onto the ball and building your opportunities rather than playing like North (Knights-style) and playing slingshot all day. I shudder to recall the kinds of scores we conceded back then - over 100 points every week.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
All things considered, i think accuracy in front of goal will make or break us this week. I can't see us putting in a poor performance around the ground, but i can see us kicking 10.17 and losing by 4 goals.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Is it just me or is it high time to do the "Hurley is down back, Carlisle is a marking force up forward" dance around the room while wooping like a banshee?

Back