Our last Melbourne final was in 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

7 long years! Not good enough, really. That's almost Richmond territory.
Let's hope we get one this year, and win it.

Our last finals win was also 7 years ago.
And our last finals win, against a team other than Hawthorn was back in 1999, FFS.

That is beyond bad. That is probably the worst record in the AFL, not including expansion sides.

Hmm interesting point. Without going to the tape:

Won flags- Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, Port, Sydney, West Coast

Made a GF - *, St Kilda, Freo

Won multiple finals- Adelaide, Carlton (?), Dogs

Tripe- Us, Richmond, Melbourne

Richmond and Melbourne played finals in that period. Richmond won a final in 2001, that I know for sure. They got into a Prelim that year. Melbourne played finals in their alternate good/bad years under Daniher. Need to check if they actually won one. Either way, they appeared in a GF after we did, which is bad enough.

Just remembered - Melbourne beat us in 2002 final - last game Pagan coached us in.

At least we can enjoy that we've won a final more recently than *. Not much else to enjoy in that time frame. Still having a club :rainbow:.

This thread makes for sad reading.
Many said it at the start of the year that 2014 would signal 15 years and counting as sustained mediocrity for this club.
At the moment we are barely scraping in for a home final.

Really just not good enough. From all at the club. I cant help but feel how anyone could be happy or pleased with where we are right now.
The results just dont cut it.

By what performance level are we rating ourselves on?

Richmond and Melbourne played finals in that period. Richmond won a final in 2001, that I know for sure. They got into a Prelim that year. Melbourne played finals in their alternate good/bad years under Daniher. Need to check if they actually won one. Either way, they appeared in a GF after we did, which is bad enough.

Was trying to keep it objective. We have appeared in 5 finals series between 2001-2013 so that's competitive with either of them.

But none of the 3 clubs were ever serious contenders in any of those appearances.

Was trying to keep it objective. We have appeared in 5 finals series between 2001-2013 so that's competitive with either of them.

But none of the 3 clubs were ever serious contenders in any of those appearances.
Just checked some stats:

Since 2001:

North - 7 Finals matches - 1 win
Richmond - 4 Finals matches - 1 win
Melbourne - 6 Finals matches - 2 wins

I hate to say it, but we are right in the same territory with these two losers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just checked some stats:

Since 2001:

North - 7 Finals matches - 1 win
Richmond - 4 Finals matches - 1 win
Melbourne - 6 Finals matches - 2 wins

I hate to say it, but we are right in the same territory with these two losers.

Sometimes worry out self-declared "heading to the promised land" proclamations in spite of poor performances will have us mired with the other 2 for some time.

Let's see what the remaining weeks of the season bring..

And this is a period of the last 13 years. Not some small down period which I hand picked to prove a point. This is fair dinkum last 13 years of our lives that have been wasted on footy misery, mostly. We don't feel that we are in Richmond or Melbourne territory of shitfulness, but finals record shows we are. Sad really.

Last edited:
2 spoons in that time and the 50 year anniversary of their last premiership this September. Not exactly burning with jealousy.
That's true, but finals record is arguably what it's all about.

Sometimes worry out self-declared "heading to the promised land" proclamations in spite of poor performances will have us mired with the other 2 for some time.

Let's see what the remaining weeks of the season bring..

And this is a period of the last 13 years. Not some small down period which I hand picked to prove a point. This is fair dinkum last 13 years of our lives that have been wasted on footy misery, mostly. We don't feel that we are in Richmond or Melbourne territory of shitfulness, but finals record shows we are. Sad really.

Its the use of the term 'glorified'.
Sure we dont bottom out or tank but we aint doing that much when it matters. Glorified versions we are.

And I haven't even mentioned that out of our 6 finals losses in that period, 4 were lost by over 90(!) points.
The other two by 40 odd.
Wrong. 85 odd EH :(
Those port losses haunt me

Last edited:
Wrong. 85 odd EH :(

Losses:
2002 v Melbourne: 84:122 (38 point loss)
2005 v Port at home: 77:164 (87 point loss)
2007 v Geelong: 50:156 (106 point loss)
2007 v Port: 46:133 (87 point loss)
2008 v Sydney 75:110 (35 point loss)
2012 v WC 66:162 (96 point loss)

Win:
2007 v Hawthorn: 93:60

It is hand picked, though. Fifteen years is a nice round number, or 20 - but that would make your point invalid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back